CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Fasted morning "cardio"

Wanted to hear your thoughts on a fasted walk/run early am for fat loss. I typically do my WODs at 9 am and can't perform well without breakfast, but have considered a 15-20 minute run in the early morning fasted. Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: Fasted morning "cardio"

If fat loss is your main goal, I think it is a very sound strategy assuming your diet is spot on of course. I did this back in the day before finding CrossFit and got my body fat percentage down to around 6% at 210 lbs. I'd wake up and drink a lot of water and a small cup of black coffee before going on my 30 min power walk. Did this every morning mixed up with sprint intervals. The idea is since you are working in a fasted state with no calories for your body to use as a fuel source, your body taps into fat stores for energy. Not so sure about the science behind, but I can tell you this strategy is highly effective to get super lean.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Steve nailed it. Johnny Pain over at www.strengthvillain.com is a big advocate of doing fasted morning walks for fat loss and has had good success with it. You might want to check out his Q&A section over there, might be more info about it.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Thanks for the information guys, appreciate it!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Seth Leaman

Profile:

It's one of those myths that refuses to die. I'm on my phone so I don;t have studies here, but theres plenty showing negigible benefits. You cans earch pubmed. This article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-...-debunked.html (WFS) Lays it out in simple terms. It may help in the short-term(like hours), but as soon as you eat again you will be storing fat again, negating anything you burned during "fasted cardio". Fat is constantly being oxidized and stored throughout the day. It's the net balance at the end of the day, based on caloric intake, that matters.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Coy Bethel

Profile:

Eric recommended early fasted walks to me in a Thread last week as a way to lean out. Just FYI Tricia.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=67531 (WFS)
Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I'm a fan of them. Could be just anecdotal evidence and could be due to other factors, but I think my morning walks 4-5 days a week have been helping me stay lean even as I'm gaining weight and getting stronger on GSLP. I would recommend keeping them as walks rather than jogs or intervals though, since cranking up the intensity would take you out of the oxidative pathway and push you into ATP or glycogenic work.

I figure they can't hurt me in any way, and worst case I'm getting outside for a few minutes and getting my dogs some exercise.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Seth Leaman

Profile:

I agree, it definitely can't hurt, and can only help. Walking is great for active recovery. Burn a few calories, get outside, and have some time to relax your mind. Lots of crossfitters could probably benefit from simply walking rather than trying to run themselves into the ground everyday.

My job is based around making people less neurotic about their diet and exercise regimens. Hence, why I hate hearing about how you have to eat low-carb to lose fat, or fasted training, or any other gimmick than promises to be the new secret to fat loss. Definitely take a walk in the morning if you have the time, but don't think that a walk in the evening after eating will have any less of an impact. That is all.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Dan Schaal

Profile:

[quote=Steve Liberati;944478]I did this back in the day before finding CrossFit and got my body fat percentage down to around 6% at 210 lbs. QUOTE]

6%???????? Holy crap Steve. That is amazing. We need to get you on the ice with the Flyers. I'll teach you how to skate. We need a replacement for Carter and Richards.

BTW, congrats to you and the family on the new baby!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Alicia De Alba

Profile:

Tricia,
I go to CF at 530 am (dawn patrol represent!) and I don't eat anything beforehand and will drink water of course during WODs. I eat breakfast when I come home and I never feel weak or anything during WODs.

Since I've started CF I've only done the 530am class, so I don't know about eating beforehand and then attending a 9am class or example. But in the past when I would work out in the gym w/ a trainer beforehand and never got the results I wanted in the time amount I wanted them... but then again I wasn't CFing