CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Anthony Myers

Profile:
The way I see things... every exercise we do in Crossfit (with a barbell) is a piece of/ or is an Olympic Lift.
So I thought whenever you do a squat, It should be in the same position you would be in when catching a clean or a snatch.

I was recently reading on T-nation, about how to squat bigger weights.
One tip they had was to widen your stance.

My question is, when ever going for the maximum weight (e.g. CFT) should I (and maybe everyone else) be widening their stances in order to move the most weight and to get a greater value for your work? (amount moved/time)

One thought that has just crossed my mind is..
Should we only widen our stance for the back squat (since it is only there to build strength and doesn't directly help Oly Lift form), in order to move more weight and gain greater strength in the posteriour chain?

Then, with front squats, and Overhead Squats the feet should be placed in the proper catch position?

Here is the link where I got the ideas from.
Work/Family Safe
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459775
Old 02-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Link isn't really safe; it's T-mag so you will have lots of not work/family safe pictures and language in the comments. Please be honest in your assessment of links. Think of 8-year-old girls, or your grandma...or your humorless boss looking at it...
Old 02-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Anthony Myers

Profile:
My bad...

I thought I wasn't allowed to post anything not Family/work safe... so, I wanted it to be seen.

I'll change it
Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
So lying is a good idea, thereby getting people in trouble? Jeez, dude, that's nuts. You can post links to non-work safe stuff, you just have to let people know so they can make an educated choice.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 AM   #5
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
Give the guy a break Officer of this Forum.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Anthony Myers

Profile:
As long as they don't go anywhere but the actual article. They would be fine.

Does anyone have ideas about my question????
Old 02-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #7

Profile:

anthony -

first, the back squat if performed Oly style absolutely transfers to the Oly lifts.

second, changing squat width to increase weight lifted is a waste of time outside of competitive PLing--it's not making you any stronger and is reducing the ROM, so the work may actually not be improved. if you want to PL, do it. if you want to OL (or pretty much anything else), don't. keep all loaded squat stances the same.

REAL work/family safe link on oly squat:
http://www.performancemenu.com/short...ty&shortyID=20
Old 02-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Anthony Myers

Profile:
I don't know Greg...anthropometrics sounds pretty dirty to me

Thanks for the link..
It recommends having the heels at shoulder width apart, which has already told me to widen my stance. Since, my shoulders are quite wide.

Changing my stance is not really to increase weight for competition, it is just for me to be able to put as much variation and work efficiency for my body to get stronger. e.g. my hips/glutes/ and hamstrings

A quote from the evil article.

///////////////////////////////////////////////
Secret #5: The hips should move before the knees!

If your knees are the first to move while beginning a squat, then your path is going to be straight down. As discussed before, the tension must be on the glutes, hips and hamstrings. These are the muscles that squat big weights, not the quads.

Think about this: Why can't a lifter with a 400-pound deep Olympic squat perform a 700-pound power squat? A powerlifter who can squat 700 can do an easy 400-pound Olympic squat. This is because the Olympic squatter doesn't have the back, glutes or hamstring to support the 700 pounds! What's that tell you about the quads and squatting big weights? (Hint: They just aren't that important!)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

When I read this, it totally made my day. Because, throughout my back squat training it hasn't been my quads that have failed me in putting up weights. It was just my hips and their lack of strength.

The main goal of our type of training is to get as strong as possible, for function.
I do not want to be held back becuase we only look at one thing as the "right" thing.
Coach Rippetoe has brought his expertise in Powerlifting to the table, and has inspired me to reach out for new information. We should use it to our advantage.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #9

Profile:

shoulder width is just a simple idea for poeple--if you have wide shoulders, this may be too wide.

regarding the OL vs PL squat argument--this neglects the very critical fact that OLers don't contest the squat--all that matters is how much they can snatch and clean & jerk. because of that, a 700# PL squat is absolutely meaningless (never in competition (or even training, really)) will said OLers need to squat in a PL fashion. and yes, if the knee bend is the first thing to occur, your hips will travel as close to straight down as possible--again, this is exactly what needs to happen for OLing. horizontal hip movement means torso lean and torso lean means trouble holding front or overhead squats.

the conclusion that the quads aren;t that important to squatting big weights is actually just kind of a stupid statement. it's comparing apples and oranges. yes, PLers squat more weight that OLers. But look at the movements--they hardly even resemble each other, particularly in ROM.

so for non competitive PL or OL, variety in squatting is wise. for competitive lifting, the choice is clear based on your discipline.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
Elliot Royce

Profile:
"My question is, when ever going for the maximum weight (e.g. CFT) should I (and maybe everyone else) be widening their stances in order to move the most weight and to get a greater value for your work? (amount moved/time)"

I think the missing variable is Distance. My coach always talks about the athletes he teaches in his college course: for them, a squat is about putting maximum poundage up even if the distance is half a foot. If you put your legs way out wide, you're unlikely to get depth since you are locking out your hips.

Seems to me it depends on why you are doing the CFT. Different exercises for different purposes.