CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-26-2007, 05:59 AM   #1
Christine Crawford

Profile:
I wear rigid orthotics while working out but sometimes, my knees still turn in. Would it be beneficial to place a towel between my feet and step on the edges of the towel at the arch (well where the arch should be since I'm archless) while doing squats and similar exercises to prevent undo knee stress? Do I ask too many stupid questions?

Thanks,
Christine
Old 01-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I have read here before that orthotics in general are just a crutch, perhaps, for something lacking somewhere in the chain. The solution is more about building up that muscle group (right term?). I too had/ have flat feet and my knees used to turn in "naturally". I actually tore my ACL in half and almost my MCL with it wakeboarding. I hit a jump and landed wrong WITH my knee turned in. I have a picture of me in the air and you can tell that its just about to end very badly. Anyways, this was well before my crossfit days. When I started Crossfit I had to actively remind myself to keep my knees out. Its now nearly second nature to me. To teach my body to keep the knees out I started squatting using the goblet style where your elbows stay inside the knees and keep them pushed out and parallel with my feet (feet should have a 30 degree or so angle to them). In order to do this I had to make sure that I forced an arch into my foot.

Im sure that someone else will post with better technical data and correct terminology, but this is something that I had to deal with, though maybe not as drastic as in your case.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
I've never worn orthotics but I did have flat feet.

The moment I did CF without shoes or with Chucks, I now have monster arches. I think the orthotic is a crutch.

My uneducated advice is ditch the orthotics, drop the weights and focus on keeping those knees tracking straight.

Small investment for stronger support.

2 cents.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Great minds.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
David Plakos

Profile:
Christine,

one of the by-products of six years of wing tsun is that my knees tend to turn in anytime i squat (wt uses the adductors actively in every stance). this caused problems with my squats until i realized two months ago what was happening. i began stretching my adductors more, and during the squat, i make an conscious effort to open my hips more. this allows my knees to "flare out" to a proper over-the-foot width.

conveniently, this has the added benefit of allowing me to squat deeper.

see if focusing on opening up your hips helps.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
Christopher Fall

Profile:
Christine,

Not a stupid question. Placing a towel under your arches for support is not the solution you need. The support you need for your arches is being created with your orthodics. The dysfunction that is allowing your knees to adduct/collapse inward is partially because of the instability in your feet but your hips are also a primary contributor. Specifically, the gluteus medius/minimus. These muscles stabilize the femur/thigh bone during dynamic motions. (running, lunging, jumping, squatting). I have a couple suggestions for you to help correct your dysfunction.

- First let us start with your feet. If you are lifting in running shoes I suggest you get a more stable shoe. The Nike Free, Chuck Taylor’s or even soccer flat are more suitable for weight training. Make sure you wear your orthodics when training. Also you need to strengthen the foot. I suggest toe scrunches. Use a towel or marbles, pretty much anything you can pick up with you toes will work. Simply pick up the object off the floor with your toes and hold and repeat, (20 to 30 times each foot). You may not develop a full arch but it will help to stiffen your foot.
- Second, you need to strengthen the gluteus medius/minimus. Tube walk are a relatively effective exercise for strengthening the gluteus medius/minimus. If your gym doesn’t have tubing/bands they may be purchased at www.performbetter.com or any local sporting goods store. The product is called ‘mini band’. The exercise is executed by placing the mini bands around you ankles and shuffling to the right then left. It is important to keep your legs straight with the feet slightly rotated out. Start with 3 sets of 10 in each direction, start with a light band and work your way up in resistance. I also recommend that you perform single leg ¼ squat with a hold. You want to build up to a minute hold with each leg. You primary want to feel fatigue in the glutes, not the quads.
- I suggest you do these simple exercise everyday until you start to see improvement.

There are definitely different exercises that can be utilize, these are just a couple suggestions. One last thing you may want to decrease the weight being squatted if your knees consistently collapse inward.

Christopher Fall, CSCS
Old 01-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
Christine Crawford

Profile:
Thanks all for your advice. I really do need my rigid orthotics or I can't run. I will definitely start some of the exercises that Christopher mentioned to gain even more strength. Sorry Christopher but I don't go to a gym but I do have several resistance bands for the lateral training.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Alain Latour

Profile:
Hey Christopher,

I too have flat feet. Should I run in NIke Free? And, if put my orthotics in them wouldn't that defeating their purpose?

Thanks

Alain