CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Mumford Procedure and recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Skolnick View Post
Hi Dr. Rockett,

Hope all is well with you and your training!

Well, I am 2 months post op and I'm pretty sure that the pain that I continue to feel is the bone healing.

Questions

1. How long does it typically take for bones to heal for a a very healthy 41 year old man?

2. What type of symptoms would I feel if the clavicle incision were too wide?

3. Is it ok if I do some moderate weight lifting? Back, Bis and maybe some light shoulder muscle strengthening without any overhead pressing movements of course?

4. When it comes to bone healing does using the shoulder slow or hurt the healing Process? eg some weights

BTW. Is your crossfit gym the one who won last year at the games? Did you do the 7 minute burpee wod. How many reps? I would have killed that workout!

Thanks!

Jason
bones can take 2-3 months to quiet down, what do you mean if it is too wide.. too much clavicle taken or the length of the incision?, be sure to check with your ortho but it should be ok,
4. it is a fine balance that you and your PT achieve through different phases of recovery.

yes crossfit new england is my gym, 88, my wife did 109 she rocks
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #22
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Hi Sean,

I was referring to the potential of my doctor taking out too much clavicle. Does that ever happen? My doctor recommended that I not do physical therapy anymore, so I've been doing it on my own. Do you disagree with that? How would the length of the incision factor in?

88 reps is great....107 by your wife is even more impressive!! My girlfriend did 98.

I saw your gym owner on the Cross fit games pregame show. You guys have a pretty amazing gym. So are you on the "A" team or the "B" team? Did you check out the workout 12.2. I watched Rich fronning go head to head with Bailey. Looks pretty tough but awesome!! The video is on the games website. Its such an awesome sport and I'm getting depressed being a observer rather then competing. I would have done at least 115 reps I think

My buddy Ron Ortiz competed in the games last year and came in third for the masters and another guy I train with came in 23rd at the games for mens. Chase Daniels.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm looking forward to hearing from you again

Jason
Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #23
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Btw. Based on how the shoulder feels I'd say I'm on the 3 months end of the spectrum for the bone healing. I can't even do a push up. Ghats why I'm concerned about the clavicle having too much taken out.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #24
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Btw. Based on how the shoulder feels I'd say I'm on the 3 months end of the spectrum for the bone healing. I can't even do a push up. Ghats why I'm concerned about the clavicle having too much taken out.
Studies have shown that you want to remove less than 15 mm of bone. If more is taken it can lead to instability of the clavicle with pain and prominence at the end of the clavicle.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Hi Sean ,

Well I'm 2 months 6 days and 8 hours post op and still can barely do a push up. Saw doctor on Tuesday and he said the resection is around 8 mm and recommended that I start training lightly and let the pain dictate how far I can go. As a fellow cross fitter I think you can appreciate the means in which I'm totally jonesing to train.what's going on?Please say something nice to make me feel better. What have you seen in athletes recovery in past??

Regards,

Jason
Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #26
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Jason, you know I can't really evaluate it without seeing the studies and an exam, start slow listen to his advice about training without pain. Patience pays off. Things get better even for Giants fans.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Hi Sean,

Let's not get started on the new York Boston thing, after the red sox collapse this year and the superbowl i can't lose...just kidding

Q. Should I be doing pt? Doc says no at this point. Do you have a protocol for mum ford ?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #28
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Hi Sean,

Let's not get started on the new York Boston thing, after the red sox collapse this year and the superbowl i can't lose...just kidding

Q. Should I be doing pt? Doc says no at this point. Do you have a protocol for mum ford ?

Thanks,

Jason
Listen to your MD
then when ready, www.orthopedicsne.com PT protocols, Shoulder Arthroscopy subacromial decompression no repair
Old 03-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
Carline Saintilien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
Things get better even for Giants fans.
Very funny quote Doctor.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #30
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Hi dr. Rockett,

I hope all is well.

I had a second MRI done today and I was hoping I could send you my images and report for your review. I could send film or send you an email of the images. They are in DICOM format so it should be ok to view. I'm sure your group has a pacs. I can pay you or use my health insurance.

Thank you,

Jason