CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Gregory Youngs

Profile:
Labral Tear Surgery

Anybody ever had surgery to fix a labral tear in the shoulder?

Just wondering what the recovery time was like? From what I'm reading, it seems pretty lengthy...

Thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Troy Peterson

Profile:
Re: Labral Tear Surgery

Search thru the Injury section....there's a few of us currently. Darla, Paul & myself are 3. Our situations were all slightly different as to the actual damage once the scope was in.

I had 1 anchor and bone spurs + inflamed tissue removed 12/17/10 (12 weeks). Coming along well per my ortho and I was told 4-6 month recovery...supposedly I'm on the 4 month path. ROM is the most difficult to come back. Doing my rehab to improve that and taking it one day at a time.

I've read some horror stories at SLAPtear.com. But I guess you'd expect people to post bad stories there more than good. YMMV depending on your overall condition pre-surgery and how you rehab.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Gregory Youngs

Profile:

So what I'm hearing is it's probably gonna be at least 4-6 months to get back into any sort fitness program?

How bad was your pre-op pain?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Gregory Youngs

Profile:

Also..

Is surgery the only option for a minor tear? The pain is manageable, but uncomfortable at times. I'm concerned about the long recovery and the potential frozen shoulder issues that come with this surgery..
Old 03-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Some discomfort sleeping. Couldn't do much, if any OH work. Pushups were difficult, no go on ring dips. Some household chores, playing basketball were becoming difficult.

I wanted to be able to resume regular activities. That's why I had surgery.

If you haven't already, find a good PT that can help diagnose your ROM (fairly cheaply) and work on some strengthening exercises. Kelly Starrett mobility WODs should be used to help make sure your ROM is good.

Frozen shoulder shouldn't be an issue (IMO) if you see a PT when cleared and do your homework.

4-6 months is the timeframe to resume activity with ROM with injured arm. Any sort of fitness was....like a few days. 1 arm light kb swings, stationary bike at first. Then heavier kb, air squats, boxjumps, light running....now 2 handed russian kb swings, some 2 handed DL, rowing....

CF has enough pieces to allow someone to continue their fitness program while working around an injury and not impeding the healing process. And keeping sanity.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Gregory Youngs

Profile:

At this point, most work, besides straight bar bench press, doesn't cause me much, if any pain. Usually, it may ache after a workout but subsides after a few hours. My chief complaint is mainly a slight feeling of instability in the shoulder. It's difficult to articulate.. Really all I can say is, my left shoulder feels DIFFERENT than my right, and maybe a very very slight loss of strength in it.

So I don't know if I should even be considering surgery right now.. Any opinion?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

If your diet is good (eat clean + fish oil), sleep A LOT you should not have to worry much about frozen shoulder issues. Typically occurs when the inflammation processes goes haywire after surgery and starts laying down lots of scar tissue and such things.

Rehab from catastrophic injury for typical structures is the amount of letters in the name per amount of months.... bone break = 4, tendon rupture = 6, ligament tear =8, muscle tear = 6,...

cartilage is not 9 but typically falls under tendon (or you can say labrum = 6 in this case.). Depends a lot on how the blood flow is to the tissue though. meniscus can sometimes be it doesn't heal at all for various parts... sometimes meniscus is like 1-3 months. Cartilage is pretty variable in these cases especially int he shoulder and knee. The 4-6 month sounds about right.

Of course all these can be quicker or shorter depending on varoius recovery factors
Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

I had surgery on both of my shoulders last year. Left side in Nov. right side in Dec. I had minor labrum tears and bone spurs in both shoulders. The pre op pain was getting almost unmanagable before surgery, I was taking 8 ibuprofen almost every day just so that I could sleep at night. I did a couple rounds of cortisone before surgery with very short term success. I explained crossfit to my surgeon and therapist and they were both very confident that I could continue with crossfit after I healed from the surgery, as long as I did it very gradually. In my town, we have a great orthopedic center who do a lot of work with athletes. Well, I started back in Feb. doing wods that I scaled way back, along with a strength program. It proved to be too much too soon, so I took another full month off and started back on April 1st. Taking that additional month off did the trick. I took baby steps and gradually worked my way back into it. I don't do bench press at all now because it still bothers my shoulders. It's kinda weird though, because ring dips dont bother me at all. Pushups & burpees sometimes hurt too. But, my pain is almost all gone and after about a year, I'm now stronger than I was before the surgery. For me the surgery was a great choice. Good luck.