CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Sarah Isel

Profile:
ATTN ALL DC/MD/VA Area Coaches

Hey all!

I am currently working with United DC's non-profit organization United Soccer Club (USC). The point of this program is to introduce the sport of soccer to youth in inner-city and underprivileged communities of the greater Washington, D.C. area (mainly in wards 6 and 8).

We don't just teach kids how to play soccer. More importantly, we teach them how to be healthy, fit, conscientious kids and eventually adults. Our program is really getting through to the kids we work with; however, we have run into one big limitation--it only does so much good to teach the kids about healthy habits when their parents pick them up after practice with a McDonald's happy meal and a coke ready for them. That is just one example, but the fact is, our work with the kids will only really go as far as their parents allow them to take it.

In an attempt to get the parents on board with the healthy lifestyle message we are sending to the kids, we've decided to implement a parent group fitness class during the soccer practices. It is a 1x/week CrossFit elements class--only body weight exercises due to limited equipment. After the class, we also talk about healthy lifestyle choices and ways to improve their children's lives through health and fitness. Currently, this program is only being implemented at one of our sites, but we would like to expand it starting in January.

I know January is a while away, but I am curious what your thoughts are on this program? Are any of you interested in helping us out once a week (It'll be no more than two hours of your time for about ten weeks total.) It really is such a rewarding way to give back to our community. I'd love to get the DC area affiliates involved as well. And for all of my new coaches out there-- you can put this on your resume!