CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Miguel Angel Cortes

Profile:
Jujitsu vs Muay Thai

Hey all,

I am a complete newbie to martial arts but I really want to learn the sport. Ideally, I want to learn one martial art and, once I learn the proper skills, move into MMA.

After talking to several people, seeing MMA fights and reading I came up with Jujitsu vs Muay Thai. What are your opinions on these two sports? Would you do one over the other and why? Also, if you don't like either then why not and what would you select.

Thanks for the help!
Miguel Angel.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Jujitsu vs Muay Thai

Which art has the best teacher near you? At this stage, that's probably more important than the relative merits of the two arts.

Katherine
Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Carl Amolat

Profile:

I agree with Katherine, learn the basics first.

I would look into Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Some schools offer Muay Thai and Mixed Martial Arts classes under their roofs as well, so that is another good investment.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
John Hansen

Profile:

Because of MMA, many once pure BJJ gyms also now offer Muy Thai training. No reason not to try them both.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Miguel Angel Cortes

Profile:

Thank you for your input.

There are several gyms around that teach it. Haven't gone in full depth to see what they actually offer. I want to get an idea of the sport before manking a uneducated guess. I have time to do all this as well; I don't plan to hit any mat until after August.

This is something that I've been wanting to do for a while and want to make sure I have the best of knowledge of everything to find the right teacher for me. I'm confident in my ability to learn the skills too.

Is there anything in particular that one should look for when determining which teacher/technique is better than the other?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Miguel Angel Cortes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hansen View Post
Because of MMA, many once pure BJJ gyms also now offer Muy Thai training. No reason not to try them both.
John, good point. I guess I have been thinking about this too much that I began to focus on only one to train in. It would be nice to have experience in both.

For those who do any type of marital arts or MMA, do you find CrossFit to be a tremendous benefit or no?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Angel Cortes View Post
John, good point. I guess I have been thinking about this too much that I began to focus on only one to train in. It would be nice to have experience in both.

For those who do any type of marital arts or MMA, do you find CrossFit to be a tremendous benefit or no?
I find Crossfit helps a great deal for conditioning. It does not take the place of live sparring or pad work but is a great GPP for fighting prep.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Miguel Angel Cortes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hansen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
I find Crossfit helps a great deal for conditioning. It does not take the place of live sparring or pad work but is a great GPP for fighting prep.
Awesome that is what I thought. I think MMA & Martial Arts has the best athletes in the world. GSP has a killer mentality and work ethics.

I can't wait until I get in the gym and learn the skills.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Troy Becker

Profile:

If there happens to be an awesome wrestling coach around, don't discount that. A lot of people consider it THE best base for MMA.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:

How many hours each week do you have to dedicate to training?

Either BJJ or Muay Thai is going to be very skill intensive for you -- in order to grow and really retain what you're learning you need to train 3x/week at a minimum.

Time not being a factor, I would say do CF, MT and BJJ, but that's not realistic and, quite frankly, not healthy for most of us.

If your ultimate goal is MMA, then don't worry about the merits of BJJ vs. MT, just pick one and do it. I recommend trying a few classes in each of them, at different schools, discovering which one seems the most fun right now and the school that vibes best with your energy and goals, and start there.

Being proficient in MMA is a long term project, and I don't know how old you are, but if you're past college the truth is you'd be doing MMA for fun and not for a living, so make sure you ARE having fun.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com