CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #21
Shannon Mullens

Profile:
Re: am i too fat?!

Karl - while I agree with almost everything you say, I'll have to add this other thing:

For those people who are very overweight and haven't been exercising regularly, doing ANYTHING AT ALL is going to be a high-intensity metcon. Honestly, three rounds of 10 lunges, 10 modified pushups, and 10 air squats is going to bring that "wow I want to puke" feeling.

So I'll say - for the very overweight, doing MP CF as Rx'd from the get-go isn't going to work. And sometimes even the scaling is too freaking much. But moving, in ways that are scaled-down, ultra-substituted, mindful-that-you're-very-out-of-shape Crossfit workouts shouldn't hurt. However, the more overweight you are, the more important it is to work out under competent supervision and listen to your body when it tells you it's done for the day.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #22
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Steeves View Post
I wasn't trying to be funny, I was asking so I could follow up with a legitimate reply to your concerns. While Crossfit is a great tool for people who don't want to specialize in one particular area of fitness, it is a very rigorous form of exercise and can actually be very dangerous for an unconditioned person. You said you were very athletic until about 10 years ago, so I'm assuming your exercise levels are very low at this point in your life. There are numerous cases of rhabdo, joint issues, and even a case or two of deaths that have occurred from doing high intensity Crossfit type workouts. (I'd like to add that the deaths weren't caused solely by high intensity workouts, but a combination of previous medical conditions and them jumping right into a hard workout instead of easing into it.)

(Look at the injury board for proof of what I just said, and PM me for the death links if you're interested).

Now, I am not bashing Crossfit or other high intensity forms of exercise, but I am using the above information to segue to my warning about being cautious with what you do and why Crossfit is NOT for everyone - at least not at first.

Crossfit includes movements that are really complex (cleans, snatches, turkish get ups, double unders, ring work) and includes high impact movements (box jumps, fast running) and movements that are hard for heavier people (pullups, muscleups, handstand pushups). These are NOT movements that someone unconditioned and 80 pounds overweight should be jumping into. Ever. Any trainer who tells you otherwise is wrong, and should be sued for incompetence and potential danger to clients. And for every testimonial and article you read that says "40 year old soccer mom who was 70 pounds overweight got in shape doing high intensity workouts with no injuries" I can counter that with dozens of articles that prove otherwise.

Your goal should first and foremost be weight loss, which at 80 pounds overweight will come quite easily and without having to kill yourself. Diet changes and walking a few miles in the morning will drop weight off very quickly for you. Along with weight loss you should be strengthening your core, getting acclimated to the barbell lifts (that means learning form, technique, execution, not trying to do 50 deadlifts for time) and stretching to realign your body to its correct structure. Add in light running and jump rope work to get your joints used to impact again. Gradually up your intensity and on lifts as you ease back into exercising again. Doing this is a long process though. You can't negate 10 years of weight gain and inactivity with a month of working out.

If doing Crossfit is your goal, then by all means strive for your goal but do it smartly. Do not start doing mainpage workouts (or the every size fits all workouts a box trainer would give you) because those workouts won't be tailored to what you need and your goals. But for right now, I would advise against doing anything Crossfit related, but instead you should learn the basic movements of crossfit (pushups, the squat, assisted pullups) but don't combine them into a kick your a** metcon.

In essence, just be smart about what you do, and don't fall into the lure of high intensity training and work until you're collapsed into a pool of sweat and tears. That isn't going to help you in the long run. Learn the basics, focus on learning the movements and cutting weight and building up a solid core base of strength, and gradually ease into doing Crossfit if that's your end goal.
If an affiliate's trainers don't take the client's physical condition into consideration when scaling and programming a WOD, they shouldn't be training.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #23
David MacDonell Tallman

Profile:

Very good point Jaime. There are a lot of modifications for any WOD. There are fluffy people at my box and they are doing great. Get in and do it Sarah. You won't regret it.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #24
David MacDonell Tallman

Profile:

OOPS, Sorry Jamie.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #25
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
It's hard for this guy. It's not hard for you.

WFS.
Thats an outstanding article about outstanding people!

To the OP: no.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #26
Chuck Yohnke

Profile:

Quote:
If an affiliate's trainers don't take the client's physical condition into consideration when scaling and programming a WOD, they shouldn't be training.
Well said Jamie. To say that to do CrossFit means you absolutely must perform muscle-ups, handstand push-ups, snatches, double unders, etc. doesn't jive with one of CrossFit's core tenets - Relative Intensity.

A WoD that may prescribe "3 Rounds: 7x Muscle-ups, 14x Handstand Push-ups, 21x Double-Unders" for an experienced CrossFitter, can easily be scaled to "3 Rounds: 5x Ring Rows, 5x Bench Dips, 10x DB Shoulder Press, 20x Single Unders" and elicit nearly the same metabolic response in the unconditioned.

Although I completely agree with the need to change diet, to tell someone to forgo CrossFit in favor of "walking, core focus, and light running" shows a lack of understanding of CrossFit's core principles. The MP WoDs are specifically programmed for the top tier CF athlete. It has been proven to be more effective to program for your beasts and scale down from there, than to program for your novices, and try to scale upwards.

I guess my message to you is this Sarah:

Find a trainer with the ability to help safely introduce you to the basic movements of CrossFit and educate you in what makes a healthy lifestyle, and under his/her guidance - START CROSSFITTING! The benefits of jumping into it will show immediately, and manifest in manners not solely related to body composition: more energy, improved strength, increased happiness, etc., etc., etc.

Good Luck, and please keep the community updated on your journeys.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #27
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

In case I'm tired and didn't see someone recommend this: Please get a physical by your Dr, Nurse Practitioner, etc...before starting any program.

In my affilliate, many of us start out very overweight, and start with very scaled, customized programming. Diet is part of it. Some like Paleo, some do Zone, and some do a combo of the two. Any way you can give yourself nutritional support, will go a long way to help you adjust to the exercise program, and help you with weight loss.

Please keep posting. This is a very supportive community of folks at all levels of fitness and experience. Good luck! You're awesome for posting your questions. Welcome!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #28
Alix Floyd

Profile:

I'm 68 inches I started off at close to 110 kg back in early May 2010 and I could only do a deadlift with a 4 lb ball. I was athletic 10 years ago, too, and played on a men's varsity soccer team in high school. That's right. Men's. Then I let myself go in my mid 20s.

Now, I'm 87 kg and I can deadlift 46 kg. I still have a way to go before my first hanging pull-up or bodyweight deadlift, but I don't feel fat anymore. I feel friggin hot and friggin strong and I dare anyone to say otherwise. I'll shove a medicine ball where it hurts.

Do Crossfit 3-4 times a week, watch what you eat (I do about 85% Paleo) and you'll lose the 80 in more or less a year. If that seems too long for you, ask yourself: Where do you want to be in a year? The same? 10 lbs lighter? Or just plain stronger?

Also, expect to gain weight the first month of doing CF. I gained super amounts of muscle but when my body started burning off the fat, oh did it ever go quickly.

Also, there's a pretty cool women's thread called "Where's the girl power" that is a good encourager/motivator. I work out on my own here in Korea since my box doesn't have a class going right now. When I read posts by Tamara, Katherine, et. al. I feel motivated to keep going.

Good luck, girl. You can do it.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #29
William Lexner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Long View Post
i am about 80 pounds over what i am at a healthy weight. not bmi. i am not going to be doing it on my own. i will be doing it at a facility. i was VERY athletic until about 10 years ago. i suppose i should do something else until i am thinner. i have looked around the board and i have seen no other obese people. i think i may be very out of place.

Your former athleticism will come back quicker than you imagine.

And you won't be 80lb overweight for very damn long.

(I started Crossfit at 280lbs)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #30
Cara Yeo

Profile:

No! I am 100lbs. overweight. Any exercise is good exercise. I have never exercised in my life and I did sit ups, squats, modified pull ups, modified push ups and lifting on my first day. One day down!