CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-01-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
Ben David Stanton

Profile:
Moving into paleozone from paleo

Hey everyone.
I am starting to get pretty serious with my nutrition and enjoy running the occasional experiment with me being the test subject. Next on the list is moving from "fairly strict" paleo (no rice/pasta/bread/potato usuals) etc into paleozone.

Unfortunately when searching through the internet abyss most searches of paleo & zone or paleo zone comes up with the pros and cons of each and matches them off, rather than discussion and information on a diet consisting of paleozone. Eg www.paleo-zone.com Perhaps there is information on that site on paleozone nutrition however I do have a restricted amound of time at the computer and downloads and the information and shortcuts on the main page seems to be about the two at odds.

I did however manage to get Dr Barry Sears clip from the journal discussing combining paleo and the zone diet and its positive effect. http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/12/...nversation.tpl This raised my interest in the paleozone and away from paleo vs zone.

If anyone has any information about paleozone particularly a block food list of paleo foods and quantities that goes a bit more in depth than usual (e.g. oysters etc) please post it. Also if your on paleozone, not one or the other, How are you going with it? Ideas or hints/tips welcome.

I am going to post up some days eating, and you'll see it isn't mad strict paleozone, that is, there might be a coffee or a flour tortilla in there or even a cup of tea. But at this stage I am not planning on eating anything too far outside the bounds of paleozone.

Cheers

Ben
Old 01-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
Ben David Stanton

Profile:
01/01/11 Paleozone Eating Day 1

Snack 2 Block 0640
56g Ham (2 block protein)
Apple (2 block carbohydrate)
6 Almonds (2 block fat)

AM Training 0730ish

Breakfast 5 block 0900ish
3 Shortcut Bacon (2 block p)
3 Large eggs (3 block p)
Large cooked tomato (1 block c)
Large banana (3 block c)
1 Apple (1 block c)
15 Almonds (5 block f)

Lunch 5 block 1330ish
Cooked Chicken 150g (5 blocks p)
Cooked (oven) Tortillas (flour) x 6 (3 blocks c)
Lettuce 1/3 head (1/3 block c)
Diced Tomato (2/3ish block c)
Cup Strawberries (1 block c)
Avocado 5 Tbsp (5 block f)

Snack 2 block 1715ish
Ham 56g (2 blocks p)
4 Vitaweats (approx less than 2 blocks c)
Tomato slices x 8 (1/2 small tomato less than 1 block c)
Avocado 2 Tbsp (2 blocks f/)

No training PM. Recovery from Deads/BS and running last couple days. Fran tomorrow PM.

Dinner 5 block 1830-1900ish (to be had)
Cooked Beef Steak 140g (5 block p)
Cooked Broccoli 1 1/4 cups (1 block c)
Cooked Cauliflower 1 1/4 cups (1 block c)
Cooked Peas 1/3 cup (1 block c)
Cooked Carrots 1/2 cup (1 block c)
Blueberries 1/2 cup (1 block c)
Macadamia nuts x 5 (5 blocks f)

Also note taking 5g fish oil at major meals (B/L/D) so 15g fish oil daily.

Last edited by Ben David Stanton : 01-01-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Moving into paleozone from paleo

What are you hoping to accomplish by going paleo-zone? Do you need to lose weight?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Ian Nigh

Profile:

why bother counting almonds and then eating flout tortillas and vitawheat crackers!?

the point of a paleo diet is to eat to satiety with foods that do not irritate the gut lining. wheat gluten is considered gut enemy #1!!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
why bother counting almonds and then eating flout tortillas and vitawheat crackers!?
Yeah.

OP, if you're going to be paleozone, then, um, why not just be paleozone?

There isn't anything magic about paleozone. It's just Paleo food with Zone proportions.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Yep. What Tamara said. Just take your Paleo foods, and put them into Zone portions. Use the favorable foods list from Paleo, and the Zone block conversions that are in those materials. Paleozone is the best of both worlds.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Ben David Stanton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Yeah.

OP, if you're going to be paleozone, then, um, why not just be paleozone?

There isn't anything magic about paleozone. It's just Paleo food with Zone proportions.
It isn't perfect yet, its a direction I'm moving into. Tortillas were convenient at the time, and that's pretty much the only reason.

Its not going to be perfect everytime, I'll try and push into that direction, but realistically there is going to be a miss now and again.

Tamara, Ian are you both paleozone?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Tortillas are easy to replace--just do a lettuce wrap or throw the meat and other stuff on a salad. Problem solved.

Make sure you're getting enough total calories--a lot of people cut the crap out of their diet then don't replace them with something else, so they end up hypocaloric then blame Paleo for killing their performance.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
James Rios

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Make sure you're getting enough total calories--a lot of people cut the crap out of their diet then don't replace them with something else, so they end up hypocaloric then blame Paleo for killing their performance.
greatly seconded. especially if you were on a system of eating as much as you wanted (even if it is really good stuff) like with paleo. sometimes we end up eating more than we think.
when we start zoning we can end up cutting out a lot of calories which for someone trying to lose weight is GREAT, but for those who already at a decent body fat or those trying to gain weigh it can be BAD.

IMO dont be afraid to eat more than the zone chart would suggest. part of the great thing about the zone is it allows you to completely dial in your nutritional intake. thus you can tinker with it to find that perfect for YOU block count.

good luck and happy new year.
i started paleo zone a year ago today and havent been the same since
Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben David Stanton View Post
It isn't perfect yet, its a direction I'm moving into. Tortillas were convenient at the time, and that's pretty much the only reason.

Its not going to be perfect everytime, I'll try and push into that direction, but realistically there is going to be a miss now and again.

Tamara, Ian are you both paleozone?
Yes, but Paleo is about food choices. I don't care what people eat, but you said "Next on the list is moving from 'fairly strict' paleo (no rice/pasta/bread/potato usuals) etc into paleozone." That shouldn't affect the foods that you eat at all. It should only affect the quantity of those foods.

And, I'm not Paleo or Zone. Paleo is fabulous. I think the Zone is utter nonsense.