CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Christopher E. Bernardo

Profile:
Form check for SS - Squat

Long time reader, first time poster. I have been doing CF Main Page WODs for the past 5 months and have decided to take the next 6-8 weeks to do a SS cycle. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge in addition to the main page.

Looking for critique on my Squat form before I start the program officially tomorrow. I struggle to not 'butt wink' at the bottom of the squat. From reading SS, it sounds like inflexible hamstrings may be the culprit. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrdp3IIKGz4 (WFS)

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:
Re: Form check for SS - Squat

It kind of looks like your exaggerating your lower back arch and hyperextending as a result, especially on the first rep as you prepare to do start. Keep the focus on staying tight and dont overdo the arch. And I dont know why your only taking 6-8 weeks off to do SS. Do the program until linear progression runs out, turn that 85x5 squat into 300x5, profit. Or if your concerned with losing metcon, do the 70sbig S&C program.

Last edited by Kevin Shaughnessy : 10-31-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Christopher E. Bernardo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaughnessy View Post
It kind of looks like your exaggerating your lower back arch and hyperextending as a result, especially on the first rep as you prepare to do start. Keep the focus on staying tight and dont overdo the arch. And I dont know why your only taking 6-8 weeks off to do SS. Do the program until linear progression runs out, turn that 85x5 squat into 300x5, profit. Or if your concerned with losing metcon, do the 70sbig S&C program.
Thanks for the feedback Kevin, I saw the same and today tried to keep my abdominals tight as well. I have given myself goals by Christmas time, and I am concerned about losing metcon as well, thus the 8 week plan. I have been debating doing strict SS or a hybrid of it with CF wods mixed in. I'm about 165 lbs/ 5'11 now and would like to stay around 170 lbs.

Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Why do you want to stay around 170?

My main impression from your video is that your basic mechanics look fine and what you need is more weight on the bar, and on your body. Your frame looks like it could handle 20lbs EASY, and if you wanted to be really strong probably aiming to gain ~40lbs would be better. Unless you are competing in a BW sport or something and you don't want to move up you will see a big pay off in CF metcons from gaining a minimum of 20lbs
Old 10-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Dude, sit back. Your knees are going WAY too far forward and your butt is just going straight up and down. Go back to SS and read about TUBOW.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher E. Bernardo View Post
Long time reader, first time poster. I have been doing CF Main Page WODs for the past 5 months and have decided to take the next 6-8 weeks to do a SS cycle. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge in addition to the main page.

Looking for critique on my Squat form before I start the program officially tomorrow. I struggle to not 'butt wink' at the bottom of the squat. From reading SS, it sounds like inflexible hamstrings may be the culprit. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrdp3IIKGz4 (WFS)

Thanks!
Sit back. Far back. Your knees are going way over your toes... just work on sitting back (not down) and you'll be good.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Why do you want to stay around 170?

My main impression from your video is that your basic mechanics look fine and what you need is more weight on the bar, and on your body. Your frame looks like it could handle 20lbs EASY, and if you wanted to be really strong probably aiming to gain ~40lbs would be better. Unless you are competing in a BW sport or something and you don't want to move up you will see a big pay off in CF metcons from gaining a minimum of 20lbs
Dude, stick to marco polo... you really shouldn't be giving squat advice.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Green View Post
Dude, stick to marco polo... you really shouldn't be giving squat advice.
Well after writing this response I perused mr. greens posts and have concluded we have a troll in our midst. That said I should probably not respond, but since I already wrote it up....

LOL

gotta love the internet wizard coaches out there who think because they have a keyboard that entitles them to an opinion.

The kid could maybe sit back a bit more, but it really is not all that egregious. And yes his knees come forward, but that is okay because for those of us capable of engaging our brains we can see that he has pretty long femurs and thus will have to move his knees forward in order to stay in balance at the bottom of the squat. And at least he is getting his knees to the right place by half way down and maintaining them going into and coming out of the hole. The biggest problem in this video is the fact that the kid is squatting 85lbs. Hence why eating more and lifting more will be the most beneficial thing for him to be focusing on.

And by the way, which NCAA D1 sports have you competed in?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
Dan Andrews

Profile:

I agree with Robert. You need to do GOMAD, forget about abs or whatever you are worrying about unless you have a very specific reason for staying around 170. I promise you without eating tons of food or doing GOMAD you will stall much earlier than you should.

That being said, you need to look down. Do not look up as you drive up out of the squat, and try to push your hips back more and do not hyper extend your back like the other guys have said.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Well after writing this response I perused mr. greens posts and have concluded we have a troll in our midst. That said I should probably not respond, but since I already wrote it up....

LOL

gotta love the internet wizard coaches out there who think because they have a keyboard that entitles them to an opinion.

The kid could maybe sit back a bit more, but it really is not all that egregious. And yes his knees come forward, but that is okay because for those of us capable of engaging our brains we can see that he has pretty long femurs and thus will have to move his knees forward in order to stay in balance at the bottom of the squat. And at least he is getting his knees to the right place by half way down and maintaining them going into and coming out of the hole. The biggest problem in this video is the fact that the kid is squatting 85lbs. Hence why eating more and lifting more will be the most beneficial thing for him to be focusing on.

And by the way, which NCAA D1 sports have you competed in?
How does water polo or something equally silly give you any authority when it comes to squatting technique? Because you're making it sound it like it does.

This dude's squat actually is "egregious." He's not doing the low bar squat Rippetoe recommends. He's getting close to zero hamstring recruitment and yet it wouldn't pass for a proper Olympic squat either.

Will he hurt himself squatting like this? Highly unlikely as long as his lumbar curve is maintained and his feet are aligned with his femurs.

Is he moving efficiently? Absolutely not.

Sure, he could use more weight on the bar or eat more or what ever - but he came here for critique on his form. Which is what we're giving him.