CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #21
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: How long before you saw results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Then your initial concerns about not seeing results would seem a little panicky, no?
Didn't come across as panicky to me at all. All he did was ask how long it took to see results.

- Mark
Old 10-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #22
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Didn't come across as panicky to me at all. All he did was ask how long it took to see results.

- Mark
Yeah I wasnt really panicking, Like I said ive only been going at this really hardcore for 2.5 weeks, and those 2.5 weeks my diet has been ok, not great but ok. However starting today I have really buckled down and some how I am really full and have eaten only good for you food. I just wondered from the rest of the CF'ers out there how long it took, you read some of these stories and its like oh in 1 month I love 10% BF. Id like real life answers and stories. Alot of the testimonials dont have pictures either. I can easily post in the testimonials that I was 250 lbs and now weigh 190 with 11% BF, but without a picture its useless.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #23
Jason David

Profile:

I remember thinking the same thing when I was at 2.5 weeks. I'm at 2.5 years now. I have a testimonial with pics..

Results at 2.5 weeks were different than 2.5 mos and 2.5 years. just eat the food and do the WOD's...and have fun!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #24
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Also another question I have is how often do you guys workout? Ive heard everywhere from 3 days to 7 days. I so far have basically been doing 4 days on 1 off. The only reason for the day off was I had to work extremely late.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

4 on 1 off is a lot for a beginner, or even an experience CFer for that matter. It's hard to maintain good intensity for 4 straight days without getting into overtraining territory.

But everyone is different--the big question is how are you feeling on that schedule? Plenty of energy or beat-down?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #26
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
4 on 1 off is a lot for a beginner, or even an experience CFer for that matter. It's hard to maintain good intensity for 4 straight days without getting into overtraining territory.

But everyone is different--the big question is how are you feeling on that schedule? Plenty of energy or beat-down?
Right now I have plenty of energy, I feel good all day and am excited to get home and workout. Im usually a little sore each day, but nothing I cant handle, thats another thing that has improved is soreness the next day isnt as bad
Old 10-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #27
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
Right now I have plenty of energy, I feel good all day and am excited to get home and workout. Im usually a little sore each day, but nothing I cant handle, thats another thing that has improved is soreness the next day isnt as bad
Just be careful. This can easily boil over into overenthusiasm and biting off more than you can chew. Regardless of how you're feeling now, your body isn't used to this level and type of activity. Be smart about how you approach this. The road is littered with ex-Crossfitters who burned out or got injured from trying to take on too much too soon.

- Mark
Old 10-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #28
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Just be careful. This can easily boil over into overenthusiasm and biting off more than you can chew. Regardless of how you're feeling now, your body isn't used to this level and type of activity. Be smart about how you approach this. The road is littered with ex-Crossfitters who burned out or got injured from trying to take on too much too soon.

- Mark
Thanks Mark I appreciate it. I definitely dont want to overtrain or injure myself. I think is what I am going to do is do CF m,t,th,f and on wednesday I do a very mild workout, more arms and toning, grip strength, stuff like that
Old 10-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #29
Brian Kellogg

Profile:

I don't remember how long it took, but I do remember seeing results a lot sooner that I thought I would. I do remember that I was off the bands for pull ups after my first month and was doing ring dips after two.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #30
Jason Peacock

Profile:

I saw quick progress wrt my ability to complete the WOD, and over the months I saw progress in muscle development too - but not where I expected (which shows I didn't know how weak I was!).

Basically my shoulders and lower back bulked up first, then everything else started developing.

And I know it's been said before, but diet is super important. I ignored diet (other than not eating stupid) for my first 2yrs of CF, and while I got stronger and faster I leaned out very slowly. Once I started paying attention to diet and eating clean I saw much more dramatic results (still possible after 2yrs of CF!).