CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: When to scale up in your own programming?

Poor wording on my part--fat gain is inevitable because it's pretty much impossible to gain 100% lean body mass. If I gain 10lbs on any training program it's not going to be 10lbs of muscle, it'll be 8lbs muscle and 2lbs fat or 6lbs muscle/4lbs fat or whatever. What's not inevitable is bodyfat percentage increasing drastically. If someone is overweight or otherwise untrained they may well lose a few percent bodyfat on SS.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Charles Applin

Profile:
Re: When to scale up in your own programming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lallos View Post

I try to set up all of my met-cons to be quick and heavy.

Today was 15-10-5: 36lbs (that's 1 pood right?) KB swings and burpees.

Here's the problem: I ran through it at 4:07. While it definitely kicked my butt is that TOO quick to reap benefits? Perhaps I'd be better served using 1.5 pood KBs or upping the rep ranges?

While the 1pood KBs felt sufficiently heavy, it was really the burpees that were gassing me--almost felt like the swings were recovery time for me though I'm feeling them right now in the shoulders/rhomboids/traps.

If you want burpees and a 1 pood KB swing to be on par for time and effort, you probably need to do 2 KB swings per burpee. If you find that your swing feels like recovery time, then start to pull the KB down faster while maintaining good control. This speeds up the drill meaning higher intensity. This is similar to how people doing bw squats start to speed up their movement by (almost?) taking both feet off the ground to drop as fast as possible to improve intensity.

If you want to scale up other wods for strength purposes, a good gauge I think is use 50% of your 1rm (real or estimated) in the weighted movements that call for 30 to 50 reps over the wod like Diane, Linda, Elizabeth. Items that call for 60 to 100 reps you might use 25% of your estimated 1rm. Estimates are good as you probably don't want to attempt a 1rm with a kb swing though Just use the old 1rm = 1 + xrm/30