CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Dane Peagler

Profile:
Muscle Ups

I finally got around to it and made me a set of rings out of PVC and everything and am very happy with them. I have changed to where I pretty much only do ring dips, push-ups, and pull-ups instead of the non-ring version of those exercises.

However, I am having a really hard time getting a muscle up. Actually, I can't even do one.

I can bang out about 15 DEEP dips on the rings and probably 12-ish pull-ups, but I can never get through the rings on the transition.

So I was wondering what I needed to improve specifically to get that portion of the movement dialed in.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
Marcus Smith

Profile:
Re: Muscle Ups

Some videos on you tube are really helpful.

Have a look at this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SSKgxdAoLM

There are quite a few more out there too

Hope that helps
Old 08-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I would yell at you for not but I'm not that person.

Work the false grip. Work on being able to hold it and transitioning from a dip to false grip pullup hang slowly.

As well, work how high you can pull with a false grip. You want to be able to pull to your nipples while keeping your hands and elbows close. They go wide and the MU is more difficult. That's great in the long run but at first, make it easy.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Brent Blackburn

Profile:

Khalipa does nice job explaining a Muscle Up progression in the Journal a few months back. I followed his progression for a week and got my first muscle up. I would also recommend any time you are doing pullups on a bar, do chest to bar pullups. With the rings, do chest to ring pullups.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Brent Eno

Profile:

Pretend like you are wearing a backpack. As you are hanging from the rings(with false grip), stare at the ceiling above you. Do a kip and pull up. Keep your elbows and arms in close to your body, and pretend like you are running your thumbs down the straps of the backpack, from top to bottom. As you begin the transition into the dip, throw your head forward and look directly at the ground beneath you. This will help propel you into the dip position. From there, just do a ring dip and you have your first muscle up.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Rich Bordner

Profile:

A problem I'm having is that when I go through the transition, my right wrist buckles and my hand falls through the ring...it falls not as if I don't have a good enough false grip (ie, falling off the ring), but the other way, actually through the hole. I end up with one arm pressed out, but the other (my right arm) arm is just hanging on the ring at my elbow.

I'm doing wrist strengthening exercises, but no change yet. Strangely, it happens on my dominant hand. This has happened every time I've gotten through the transition.

I'm aware of the M.U progression vids on the journal, and I've done some internet searching, but haven't found anything on this unique issue.
Any help?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Marcus Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Blackburn View Post
Khalipa does nice job explaining a Muscle Up progression in the Journal a few months back. I followed his progression for a week and got my first muscle up. I would also recommend any time you are doing pullups on a bar, do chest to bar pullups. With the rings, do chest to ring pullups.
Do you have the link to this article???
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Marcus Smith

Profile:

Just got my rings today so its school time.
Need to set a realistic goal to get my first muscle up.
Can do +30 non stop pull ups on regular bars
Did 10 good regular dips on the rings today.
Am under no illusion that although these things will help there is still a long way to go.
Anyone give a target time? 1 week? 2 weeks?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
Sean Lind

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Eno View Post
P throw your head forward and look directly at the ground beneath you. This will help propel you into the dip position.

If you want someone to injure themselves, then use this technique. If you " throw your head/shoulders through " then this will cause your body to move past the vertical line and place your hands past your body. Leading to load being placed on the shoulders in an aggressive stretched position. If those people who are not flexible enough to hold that weight in that position will have a shoulder injury or even a wrist injury.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Sean Lind

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Bordner View Post
A problem I'm having is that when I go through the transition, my right wrist buckles and my hand falls through the ring...it falls not as if I don't have a good enough false grip (ie, falling off the ring), but the other way, actually through the hole.

you are not grabbing the ring properly. Chances are you are the mid front portion of the ring. If you do this, you will not properly support yourself.

when hanging grab the ring from the Center bottom with a regular grip. THEN, slide the bottom of the palm into false grip. YOU should still be hanging ON the exact middle of the bottom of the ring.

Do this and I guarantee you will make your muscle up with-out your wrist going through.