CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
Kyle Ngo

Profile:
Re: New to crossfit... Cost?

Members
Twice a week is $150 a month
Three a week is $225 a month
Unlimited for $300 a month
Private sessions for $48
Drop-in rate is $20
Non-Members
Twice a week is $175 a month
Three a week is $262 a month
Unlimited for $350 a month
Private sessions for $60
Drop-in rate is $25

That seems to be the prices that he's talking about.

Do you have any equipment at all? Experience doing the movements? Can you afford a few sessions of personal training to teach you the movements? How about starting at a global gym?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I'd say $300 a month is ridiculous unless you're getting individualized programming and 1 on 1 or focused small group coaching from a very established, experienced, knowledgeable coach on a daily basis.

Talk to some of the current members and ask them if they think they're getting their money's worth.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Laurie Smith

Profile:

Is the $350 for their on-ramp program? If it's their monthly fee then that's outrageous.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
Kyle Miesse

Profile:

It seems to be their monthly cost. I will try to do some information gathering when I get to Tyler. Currently I'm in college station, tx finishing my last semester of school. There is an affiliate here who does a free on ramp program an has more affordable rates, so I will try to get into that for the month that I am still here and try to learn as much as I can.

I don't have any equipment currently. I had planned on a global gym until I learned about crossfit. Hopefully I can learn enough in a month here that I can work out on my own once I move an I won't have to deal with those ridiculous prices. Kyle Ngo got it right. Those are the posted prices for premier crossfit in Tyler, tx.

Last edited by Kyle Miesse : 06-27-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #15
Mike McGee

Profile:

The crazy thing about the fees that some affiliates charge is that in reality, CrossFit is free. You don't have to pay anthing to access the mainsite or view the "how-to" videos. Biggest problem is we've gone away from the Garage Gym concept and moved into these huge high-rent facilities where the owners take out huge loans to outift the places from day 1. I feel bad for those people like Kyle who want to work out at an affiliate but can't afford the outrageous prices.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:24 AM   #16
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Miesse View Post
It seems to be their monthly cost. I will try to do some information gathering when I get to Tyler. Currently I'm in college station, tx finishing my last semester of school. There is an affiliate here who does a free on ramp program an has more affordable rates, so I will try to get into that for the month that I am still here and try to learn as much as I can.

I don't have any equipment currently. I had planned on a global gym until I learned about crossfit. Hopefully I can learn enough in a month here that I can work out on my own once I move an I won't have to deal with those ridiculous prices. Kyle Ngo got it right. Those are the posted prices for premier crossfit in Tyler, tx.
If you can get into the on ramp program where you are now, go for it!

Look, I am all for the support of a good affiliate. Like I said, I live at mine. But, $300 or $350 a month is outrageous. For that amount, I have paid for a year of unlimited classes at my affiliate, outfitted a fairly ridiculous home gym, and then some. If you can't find a globo gym that works for you, you can start by getting equipment on Craigslist and subbing as needed. You can hit a good Oly lift seminar (like Wilkes) for a really reasonable price, and that instruction is going to be well worth your time compared to what you will find at a lot of affiliates.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #17
Andy Mullins

Profile:

I thought my $225 a month membership was expensive....no way I could afford that.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #18
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mullins View Post
I thought my $225 a month membership was expensive....no way I could afford that.
It is...
Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #19
Kevin Bensette

Profile:

I went to one place, I liked the guy but he was one of those Crossfit LA type guys that was too busy telling me what he was worth instead of listening to me. He wanted $75 a month to come one time a week and $200 a month for unlimited use. That's just plan stupid, I don't care how many cert's you have. $200 a month, get real...a commercial gym is $50 a month and the WOD's are online for free. Don't price yourself out of the market...

Anyways a few months later I found a guy who is just as good, I get along with much better and he's under $100 a month for unlimited classes if you sign up for 12 months. It's not like these contracts are iron clad anyways. Nobody is going to spend $500 suing you for the $300 left on your contract Let's be real...

I can't imagine paying more than $100 a month unless I was using the workouts to specifically train for something that earned a living at...
Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #20
Michael Travis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bensette View Post
...It's not like these contracts are iron clad anyways. Nobody is going to spend $500 suing you for the $300 left on your contract Let's be real...
True, they may not get their money, but they will call a collection agency which will put a glitch on your credit report, and that should be worth more to you than $300..