CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Mary Poulin

Profile:
dairy usage - goat milk?

I'm hearing a lot of hype that goats milk is good for you. We have health food stores that carry it and we have farms that carry it raw.

is it really that much better for you than cows milk?

anyone have any experience with this?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: dairy usage - goat milk?

raw milk is better, whether i be cow or goat.
I will not drink cooked milk, regardless of the source.
Google "benefits of raw milk" and see for yourself!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Poulin View Post
I'm hearing a lot of hype that goats milk is good for you. We have health food stores that carry it and we have farms that carry it raw.

is it really that much better for you than cows milk?

anyone have any experience with this?
Some people appear to do better on goat's milk. Raw is indeed the best. There is a movement toward more A2 breeds (older breeds) versus A1 breeds...goat milk is closer to A2. The Masai used A2 cows; some people think that most of the "negatives" from dairy can be eliminated by using A2 breeds; look it up for a better explanation.

Incidentally, Australia actually markets A2 milk...they seem to be far ahead of NA in this regard.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Goats has less lactose, bit more protein but not as much vit D from memory.

I find it much easier to digest. Better for folks with allergies too. Goats rule.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:15 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Some people appear to do better on goat's milk. Raw is indeed the best. There is a movement toward more A2 breeds (older breeds) versus A1 breeds...goat milk is closer to A2. The Masai used A2 cows; some people think that most of the "negatives" from dairy can be eliminated by using A2 breeds; look it up for a better explanation.

Incidentally, Australia actually markets A2 milk...they seem to be far ahead of NA in this regard.
The Masai develop atherosclerosis at about the same rate as American men which is what you'd expect given their high saturated fat intake. The only reason they don't all drop dead in their 40's like so many Americans is their low body weight (leanness), high daily energy expenditure and physical fitness, which they maintain throughout their lives, protects them from the adverse effects of their diet.

Atherosclerosis in the Masai.

Daily energy expenditure and cardiovascular risk in Masai, rural and urban Bantu Tanzanian.

As for allergies; if you're allergic to cows milk there's a good chance you're also allergic to goats milk so it isn't safe to make assumptions about these things. That said if you're okay with cows milk you're probably going to be okay with goats milk too although there's no guarantee of that.

Use of goat's milk in patients with cow's milk allergy

So, what to do? Well assuming that you tolerate both cows and goats milk I'd say go by price or whichever you prefer the taste of.

*All links wfs*
Old 06-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
Christie Warner

Profile:

I'm going to give it a go because I am breastfeeding and want to steer clear of cow's milk. I've read a lot of interesting things concerning goat's milk, espeically in reference to it's decreased amounts of both casein and lactose in comparison with cow's milk. More interestingly, it has anti-inflammatory properties and is most similar to human breast milk. I say it's worth a try if you have an allergen to cow's milk. Why not?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
The Masai develop atherosclerosis at about the same rate as American men which is what you'd expect given their high saturated fat intake. The only reason they don't all drop dead in their 40's like so many Americans is their low body weight (leanness), high daily energy expenditure and physical fitness, which they maintain throughout their lives, protects them from the adverse effects of their diet.

Atherosclerosis in the Masai.

Daily energy expenditure and cardiovascular risk in Masai, rural and urban Bantu Tanzanian.

As for allergies; if you're allergic to cows milk there's a good chance you're also allergic to goats milk so it isn't safe to make assumptions about these things. That said if you're okay with cows milk you're probably going to be okay with goats milk too although there's no guarantee of that.

Use of goat's milk in patients with cow's milk allergy

So, what to do? Well assuming that you tolerate both cows and goats milk I'd say go by price or whichever you prefer the taste of.

*All links wfs*
Yes, with their current diet...too many processed carbs, too many grains, etc...not true of their traditional diet.

Saturated fat has no correlation/causation to CAD.

No links from me...look it up.

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 06-10-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Christie Warner

Profile:

I have one complaint about goat's milk: it tastes exactly like how a goat smells/tastes. Cow's milk doesn't taste like much to me. Goat's milk, however, has a distinct taste. I would even call it gamey. Not sure if I can deal with it. Could just be me, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Yes, with their current diet...too many processed carbs, too many grains, etc...not true of their traditional diet.
Those studies were conducted on Masai eating their traditional diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier
Saturated fat has no correlation/causation to CAD.

No links from me...look it up.
LDL cholesterol increases by a factor related to 2x the intake of saturated fat so diets high in saturated fat are considered to be atherogenic. There are a number of variables that will determine whether or not any increase in atherosclerosis will cause CVD some of which you can control some of which you can't. So, as there is no dietary requirement for saturated fats and there are healthier alternatives e.g. olive oil you need to decide whether a diet high in saturated fats is worth the risk.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Those studies were conducted on Masai eating their traditional diet.
Probably not...(wfs) http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...sclerosis.html

Quote:
LDL cholesterol increases by a factor related to 2x the intake of saturated fat so diets high in saturated fat are considered to be atherogenic. There are a number of variables that will determine whether or not any increase in atherosclerosis will cause CVD some of which you can control some of which you can't. So, as there is no dietary requirement for saturated fats and there are healthier alternatives e.g. olive oil you need to decide whether a diet high in saturated fats is worth the risk.
LDL in general is probably not important in predicting atherosclerosis...LDL SIZE is important (small, dense LDL is atherosclerotic).

Diets low in carbohydrate and high in sat fat reduces atherogenic dyslipidemia (eg. small, dense LDL).