CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Brenton James Mercer

Profile:
Angry Having a REALLY hard time here...

Hi all,

Been Crossfitting for 8 months now. Made great strength gains but Im still terrible at bodyweight exercises, running, and other things involved with bodyweight movement. I think its mostly due to carrying too many excess pounds. Started in November at 230 lbs; now:

Male / 28 / 6'4" / 225lbs

I realize that Ive gained muscle and lost fat, however Im at the point now that I need to lose the pounds if Im going to become a more rounded athlete.

My discouragement comes from the fact that I eat very clean and still hold on to the weight. Ive been trying very hard and have had little success. I eat lean meats, TONS of veggies, some nuts and berries, and keep the bad meals to a bare minimum (usually once a week I'll go for a burger-type meal and some drinks.) I know these meals can ruin a diet quick, but considering that Im doing 3 WODs and 2 CF Endurance WODs each week I'd think that the fat would be melting off of me. The rest of the time its damn near perfect. I even get 8-10 hours of sleep a night!

I worry that I dont get enough calories actually. I occasionally feel beat up after a long week of exercise, but never like Im starving myself of energy. I honestly dont know how many calories I consume. I just try to eat pros, carbs, and fats in every meal and eat till Im not hungry.

Also, I dont have time to cook several times per day, so I cook a huge dish and eat off of it for a day or two. Commonly a stir-fry, or meat/veggie dish. If I had to guess how much I collectively eat in a day, it'd look like this:

2 large chicken breasts or lean pork loins
1 lb of mixed veggies, cooked (1lb bag of frozen veggies)
1-2 cups berries (strawberries and blueberries)
A few handfuls of raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans)
Olive oil used liberally in cooking.
A few other things substituted in there randomly, but still clean foods (lean ground turkey, lean steaks, a raw salad w/oil n vineagar, fish filets, eggs)

I fear that my carbs and proteins are too low, especially for my size. Do I need more food? Are there clean ways of getting more calories quicker? If I have to eat anymore vegetables I will explode. Protein shakes? Heres a little guy

Thanks,
Brent
Old 06-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Having a REALLY hard time here...

First off, you're 6 foot 4 inches dude! 225 sounds like a good weight to me (or more?). You don't eat that much food, and with all the wod-ing you may be overtrained some with elevated cortisol levels that are not helping your body comp. You even mention that you are "beat up" at the end of the week. 5 wods per week with inadequate food is bad.

Secondly, you're gonna need to put it all in fitday to see how much you are actually eating. I bet you will amazed at how little you're eating. Do this. These are the kinds of things you need to do in order to take it to the next level.

Last, I'm not sure if you want better body comp, or to be better at bw exercises. You can work more on the bw stuff, but you are never gonna be a 150lb guy that can run like the wind and do 75 kips in a row. Work on your weaknesses sure, but accept them too. I'm never gonna dunk a basketball, I can work on my vertical jump though.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Rob Bridgford

Profile:

I recently started using fitday to track my nutrition. Works great! Gives me a nice clear picture of my diet.

I recently all but scrapped the zone in favor of a more paleo diet based on Mark Sisson's primal eating plan. To early to see any results but I feel good.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defin...l-eating-plan/
(WFS)

Take a look, lots of good info!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Thomas Covington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bridgford View Post
I recently started using fitday to track my nutrition. Works great! Gives me a nice clear picture of my diet.
I was going to suggest an online tracker as with that you will be able to get much more targeted responses & help and therefore better results.

But to me it all seems a bit low for 225#. I.E. - 2 large xn breasts are approx 70g protein & I do not see anymore protein in there. Even a sedentary Zone diet would call for 100+g of protein and with CF x 5 / wk you should go for 160g~ish.

Last edited by Thomas Covington : 06-28-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Brenton James Mercer

Profile:

Im 6'4" and 225 but I have a decent belly on me still. Ive got plenty of room for improvement. I think that my lean mass is quite less than some 6'4" athletes, at least for now. If I could weigh 225 and be mostly muscle I would be happy, even if my bodyweight exercises suffered a bit. But as is, I know losing 20-ish lbs would help a lot and I definately have it to lose.

Fitday told me Im hungry. Though the amounts I entered may vary slightly from reality (I never measure), it said I eat about 1300 calories a day. 85 fat, 85 protein, and 66 carbs.

Are there ways of upping my cals without doubling my grochery cart? Eating clean is lower calorie than I thought... Sounds like a supplement might do me good?

Marks Dailey Apple is a cool sight; Ive started checking it regularly.

I appreciate the responses,
Brent
Old 06-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Thomas Covington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton James Mercer View Post
Im 6'4" and 225 but I have a decent belly on me still. Ive got plenty of room for improvement. I think that my lean mass is quite less than some 6'4" athletes, at least for now. If I could weigh 225 and be mostly muscle I would be happy, even if my bodyweight exercises suffered a bit. But as is, I know losing 20-ish lbs would help a lot and I definately have it to lose.

Fitday told me Im hungry. Though the amounts I entered may vary slightly from reality (I never measure), it said I eat about 1300 calories a day. 85 fat, 85 protein, and 66 carbs.

Are there ways of upping my cals without doubling my grochery cart? Eating clean is lower calorie than I thought... Sounds like a supplement might do me good?

Marks Dailey Apple is a cool sight; Ive started checking it regularly.

I appreciate the responses,
Brent
Stay away from the supps until you get your basic diet hammered out. Supps are suppliments, not replacements; you need to get your diet worked out on real food before you start adding products designed to meet a need.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Edward Stibick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Covington View Post
Stay away from the supps until you get your basic diet hammered out. Supps are suppliments, not replacements; you need to get your diet worked out on real food before you start adding products designed to meet a need.
Basically, if you are not getting the results you want eat and rest more.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Two items.

First off, I understand the aversion to measuring (I also loathe the idea), but I think you need to measure for a few days (or even better, for a week) in order to ensure accurate recording in Fitday. Some people are really good at "eyeballing" and others aren't. I am skeptical that you're really only eating 1300 cal/day. I'm barely over half your size and eat double that, per something similar to fitday.

Second, if you measure and find the same results, then yes, you need to eat more food. A lot more food.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Eat more food. Buy in bulk, eggs, meats, etc. Veggies aren't high in calories compared to other foods.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Rob Bridgford

Profile:

I am using good fat sources to up my cals. A couple tsp of coconut oil is nearly 100 cals and goes great on a salad or over some steamed veggies. I have been known to down a spoonfull out of the jar. tasty stuff

I was measuring pretty regularly while on the zone so it wasn't to difficult for me. I am hoping to drop measuring a little at a time after I get a good feel of things.

Last edited by Rob Bridgford : 06-28-2010 at 05:51 PM.