CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: C2 resistence question

I prefer to set the damper high as otherwise I have to wait on the rower more and it seems I waste energy.

Rowers set the damper to 5-6 because the mimics what it is in their sport.

Something to note is that many rowers test to be primarily type II muscle fibers aka slow twitch dominant.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:54 AM   #12
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

The damper setting is NOT a resistence/difficulty setting. It is essentially a gear setting, like in a car or on a bike. While a higher gear may feel like it's more resistance, it's really just changing the way the work is done. Think of it this way: Let's say you are carrying a big rock from point A to point B. You could take long or short strides, you could carry the rock in front of you, over your head, or on your back. All of those variables may affect how quickly you move the rock and how tough it is. But at the end of the day, you moved the rock from point A to point B and either did it efficiently or inefficiently.

People who are new to the C2 often set the damper to 10 because they have bad technique, and having a higher drag factor makes it easier to feel connected on each stroke. However, I urge you and anyone else to learn to row at a more moderate setting, and use that as the bulk of your training.

Also, stop looking at the number on the damper setting. They are just numbers without units. Each C2 may vary in what the numbers actually mean. Over time, C2's change with wear and what was once "6" could actually be "5" or even "3" on another machine. Other factors such as elevation can effect what the big numbers on the side mean also.

So what's the preferred method for using this? Check the drag factor on the display. I usually set mine to 126-128 since that is what someone told me when I first started crew and I stuck with it. Your goal should be to either find the number that makes you the fastest (without sacrificing form) or find the number that best simulates the boat you will be in. Since you are asking C2 questions here, I'm going to guess you aren't worried about making a boat move fast.

By now you must be thinking, "Wow, what great information. But how do I find out my drag factor?" Well, you can start by going to Concept2's website (WFS) where it talks about drag factor.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Honestly, I don't care enough about rowing to care. I'm hard pressed to stay focused even in a brisk 1000m. Yes, it's boring-****ing boring. I'm a bit interesting in being technique efficient but let's face it, short leggers are not optimal for rowing.

I would rather do it than run, for longer distances, I generally set it at 5. For sprints, I set it at 10.

But I don't compete in rowing nor intend to, ever. It's just a necessary evil like kettlebells.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #14
Jordan Wallace

Profile:

i Just did the drag test, my C2 erg came out with 220 when i was on damper 10 and 139 on damper 5.

im 136 - 140lbs and 5ft 5in.

Jordan.