CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Peter Bernardin

Profile:
Why so little progress?

Hey guys, a little history:

Started Starting Strength last fall for about 3 months, weighing about 160#. Not very much progress, but still satisfiable. Maybe 135# to 190# on the squat. Guessing because of the diet.

Early spring, decided to join Xfit @ around 168# BW. Did it for three months. Lost about 13# - Barely made any strength gains at all. In fact, my squat decreased to about 1RM 185# from 5RM 190#. I figured I wasn't eating enough.

Didn't do anything over the summer.

Fast forward to seven weeks ago. I re-joined CrossFit, on the FGB day. I got 263 (modified). After 7 weeks of going 3-4 times per week, giving 100% every time (sometimes I feel like my heart skips a beat, and that I'm face-to-face with death), I re-did FGB (modified). I got 275. Is this really an expected gain from CrossFit? I tried to maintain my weight at 170#, so that I could expect SOME strength gains, but I really can't find an explanation to this. At least I should have improved on the cardio.

Can anyone help?

TLDR; Did crossfit for 7 weeks at 170#. Started with FGB modified, score was 263. Maintained weight throughout 7 weeks. At the 7th week, re-did FGB, got 275. Barely any difference. Why?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Ron White

Profile:
Re: Why so little progress?

Well you yourself said that you think it might have something to do with how you're eating. We all know that without good fuel the engine is going to run at full potential. Step back and take a look at your programming as well. Does your box program strength WOD's regularly?
Old 11-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Had you exhausted your linear progression when you stopped doing SS, or did you stop for another reason?

Stalling at that light a weight suggests inadequate food, bad form, failure to follow the program, or some combination of all three.

Whether to expect strength gains on Crossfit depends on your programming. Your experience with SS suggests a non-Crossfit issue, though. Tell us about your diet, please. Also, how tall are you?

Katherine
Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

7 weeks is not a lot of time, there are so many variables...diet sleep, etc that could have effected your oerformance either day its not a great yardstick.
Give it 6 months and then see.
Also, what are your goals? Work with your coaches to set a plan that unfolds over months, not weejs and then evaluate...
Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It sounds like you desire some strength and whatever CrossFit you go doesn't involve a lot of strength programming.

So you are either going to have to do some on your own or find a CF gym that understands that you want to get stronger and help you with it.

Make sure you're eating enough. See if your form is decent enough.

If SS is too much for you, try another strength building template that isn't as aggressive. 531 comes to mind. In your case, make sure to do the assistance work.

It sounds like you are sick of being weak and slender.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Jon Schell

Profile:

A little late on this, but what Blair is saying is true. Wendler 5-3-1 or Westside Barbell are good programs to gain strength. Louie Simmons (founder of Westside) says that if you want to get stronger, you need to lift 90%+ of your 1RM during training. You dont train for the 40-yard dash by running a marathon. Low rep + high weight = strength. Dont take that as the gosspil, it's just me paraphrasing what I remember.

1) You can't make a race horse out of a work horse, and vice versa. That's not to say you can't make gains either direction, but you will see faster gains by focusing on one of them. Sometimes you have to temporarily sacrifice metabolic conditioning for strength.

2) What's your diet? I eat strict Paleo and have had incredible gains over the last 5-6 months. I've been getting PRs on something almost weekly.

3) 135 to 190 on the squat is huge. That's the same as me going from 225lbs to 305lbs on the squat. Think in terms of % gains.

4) Seven weeks is nothing. Hit it hard for six full months and revisit your progress.

Last edited by Jon Schell : 12-28-2011 at 11:07 AM.