CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-22-2005, 07:06 AM   #1
Daniel Doiron

Profile:

I guess this could also go in the chronic injury section of the discussion board!

I am posting this in response to contacts from a previous discussion that was started in the Fitness section (Chuck Taylors and Flat Feet).

Hope this can help some people.
PS. It is good to do this, even as a preventative method and it can help more that just arches...shin splints, etc...)

Here are a few things I have done with people who suffer from 'low arches'. There are many more, but this is a good place to start. All things listed should be completed bare feet unless indicated otherwise. Always try to keep your toes pointing straight ahead. If you have had fallen arches for a while, this will be impossible. It is therefore one of your goals!

Start by putting your feet at one end of the towel. Curl your toes as if you are trying to 'pull' the towel to you. Repeat for sets and reps of what you are comfortable with. Start seated, advance to standing.

Stand with you heels on the edge of a step and hold yourself for balance. With the majority of the foot hanging, lower you toes to point to the ground, but don't let yourself slip. Now bring the toes up to point to the sky, but don't lean back.

Sit with feet flat on floor, bring your arches up as high while keeping your toes, ball of foot and heel on the ground. Contract your arches as if you are trying to touch the heel of your foot with the palm of your foot. Hold this position. Start seated, advance to standing.

Stand on the edge of a step. Dig your toes into the step. Perform calf raises with body weight while keeping your toes dug into the step.

Enjoy!
Old 09-25-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Nice post, Dan!

I also like the Four Corner Balance Drill (4CBD). Use the sole of your foot to grip the ground (or other surface) when performing it. Just one time through can be tough. Great for proprioception too.

Here's an article showing a progression from Beginner to Elite:

http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/19/sonnon3.html