CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: any free workouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Kalinin View Post
For example, I know that to prevent over training, I 'm not supposed to work on the same muscle group two days in a row.
As Katherine said, pure nonsense. Just ask a professional sprinter, distance runner, football player, swimmer, or basically any athlete if they work the same muscle on back to back days.

Perhaps the most potent example I can show is the Bulgarian National O-lifting schedule for the 1980 Olympics (wfs). The Bulgarians are one of the most successful countries all-time in this sport.

What you're not supposed to do, is go for max efforts day after day on the same movement or muscle group. For example maxing out on back squats two days in a row is not that smart. But that doesn't really happen with CrossFit.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #12
Troy Becker

Profile:

I recommend you get your diet real tight, check out The Zone for how you should be eating. Unless you've been doing so, it annoys me that your doc said "cardio or medicine"
Old 10-30-2009, 03:00 AM   #13
Gordon Cooke

Profile:

Vladimir, I used to have high blood pressure and I got the same advice from my doctor about cardio. My blood pressure is normal now and I no longer take medication and I do no specific cardio. I do a mixture of crossfit and heavy lfting and I feel great. The last time I had my blood pressure checked it was optimum. Do crossfit and most importantly dial in your diet and your blood pressure will move to normal levels. Skip either or both, then you are doomed for failure. Also you have to get away form the bodybuilding mentality about not working the same muscle groups two days in a row. The human body works as a whole, not individual muscle groups. Don't take what I am saying as criticism, I'm just trying to be helpful. Good luck in your goals and I hope you get your blood pressure in check.

Last edited by Gordon Cooke : 10-30-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 AM   #14
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm new to the forums and to the workout world in general. I've started P90x exercise program and joined my gym, unfortunately, I need to do about 30-40 mins of cardio every day to keep my blood pressure healthy, which leaves about 30-40 mins for the workout.

I'd also like to grow my chest muscle and my posture. I'm about 6' 6" and tend lean forward more than I should.

Are there any programs you guys could recommend that can be done together with the running/cardio I am doing Mon - Sat (Fri and Sun off)?

Also, just ordered the EFX rings and would prefer that the program could be based around body weight exercises.

Can cardio be done on the rings as well (various jumping routines, etc..)?

Thanks all in advance.

Vlad,

Everyone on here had given you more than enough information to get started. Now its up to YOU.
And if you have poor posture, and are hunch, or "lean" forward to much.....building your chest muscles will not work. The shortening of your anterior muscles, is a major cause of poor posture. You do it everyday. Working on the computer, working out your beach muscles for the ladies, text messaging, driving a car, playing gameboy, whatever! Rounded shoulders, forward head carriage. This causes muscle imbalances leading to poor posture.
If you neglect the upper back and neck musculature than you may have a larger chest, but your posture will be going in the opposite direction than you want.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:55 AM   #15
Vladimir Kalinin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Cooke View Post
Vladimir, I used to have high blood pressure and I got the same advice from my doctor about cardio. My blood pressure is normal now and I no longer take medication and I do no specific cardio. I do a mixture of crossfit and heavy lfting and I feel great. The last time I had my blood pressure checked it was optimum. Do crossfit and most importantly dial in your diet and your blood pressure will move to normal levels. Skip either or both, then you are doomed for failure. Also you have to get away form the bodybuilding mentality about not working the same muscle groups two days in a row. The human body works as a whole, not individual muscle groups. Don't take what I am saying as criticism, I'm just trying to be helpful. Good luck in your goals and I hope you get your blood pressure in check.
what kind of diet did you go on, ...the Zone?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:09 AM   #16
Gordon Cooke

Profile:

Quote:
what kind of diet did you go on, ...the Zone?
No particular diet. Just ate healthy, cut out the processed foods and sugar, and watched my caloric intake (which will be different for everyone). If I was to call it anything, I would say I was about 80% Paleo. You can get more information on Paleo here by searching the boards or using Google (seach engines are your friend ).
Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #17
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

Zone or Paleo is good. I don't know Paleo yet except for a few minor details but once you get your head around the zone block method it's really easy to follow and the lists of good protein, carbs and fat foods will give you a good idea of what you should be cooking to eat well and burn fat more efficiently AND have more energy.
Regarding your exercises, well, I would forget about P90X, or whatever it's called, and just do CF. Even just doing the official scaled version of the WOD (Workout of he Day) is enough for ANY level of fitness you're looking for. If you're in not too good a shape it will propel you LEAPS and BOUNDS into the best form you have ever been in. Period.

But the most important thing about reaching your goals will be to choose a program and STICK TO IT. Jumping from one to the other will get you nowhere and just make you feel frustrated.

CF has strength, cardio, resistance, mental toughness, skill & ability, coordination, etc. You really can't ask for more. And it is based on REAL LIFE functional movements with a lot of detail given to FORM so we don't hurt ourselves. It is not based on ASSumptions like many other programs or urban legends and myths like many aspects of traditional body building routines.

And poke that chest out!

Diego
Old 10-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #18
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

""Overtraining" is caused by people doing more weight than they should and the resultant poor form"

Overtraining is caused when stress exceeds the body ability to recover from it.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #19
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
I don't mind the harshness, but I do want more detail in the program. For example, I know that to prevent over training, I 'm not supposed to work on the same muscle group two days in a row.

I appreciate the workout links, but those just show the routines some people follow, and it's not clear if those are daily or weekly routines.

So, this is my dilema. I don't mind paying for the guides. I have the p90x, but the issue I'm having is that it requires free weights, it's about 1 hour each (and I need about 30 mins for cardio, as mentioned already).

Are there any routines that I any of you followed in the beginning that you want to share with me?

Thanks for your time.
The "don't work the same muscle group two days in a row" stuff comes from people who do isolation movements. If I did 6 sets of tricep pressdowns, followed by 6 more of dumbbell kickbacks, then finished with close-grip pushups, then no, I wouldn't do anything tricep-related for a few days. CF doesn't work like that--it uses compound movements that make use of several muscle groups. Take the squat as compared to the leg press--the leg press takes your hips out of it and makes it a quad-dominant exercise, but the squat works your hips, hamstrings, glutes, quads, lower back, and all kinds of other stuff. As someone pointed out CF.com wouldn't have you do 5-5-5-5-5 back squats followed by 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 front squats on two consecutive days, but you may very well do the 5RM back squats one day then a workout involving clean and jerks or deadlifts the next. You're not isolating a particular muscle and taking it to failure, so it's ok to hit it the next day in a slightly different way.

Keep in mind there are no isolation movements in real life, and real life does not differentiate between cardio day/leg day/arms day/etc. So CF prepares you for that. Isolation movements also contribute to muscle imbalances (i.e. hunched shoulders) because they make your body move in patterns that it wouldn't move in in real life. As for your doctor-prescribed "need" for cardio...give Angie, Cindy, or Helen a shot and tell us if it did the trick as a cardio workout. The WODs may look easy but they're typically not.

If you don't have any access to weights you can pick and choose workouts off the bodyweight workout links, but your gains will be limited if you don't squat, clean, deadlift, or press heavy at least once a week. Check out Craigslist and try to find a set of weights someone's trying to get rid of--you can do a majority of the heavy stuff you need just by getting an Oly bar and 300lbs of plates.

Diet: read up on Paleo and Zone. Doing even a 75% good job on one or both (they can be combined) will have huge effects on your physical performance, appearance, and medical conditions like blood pressure or bad cholesterol.

As others have said, welcome to the community and bring up any questions you've got, but once we give you some guidance the rest is up to you.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #20
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
So, what i was looking for is may be something like this:

Monday - pushups (3 sets), pullups (2 sets), dips, etc..
Tuesday - squats, jump squats, etc...
Wed...
Thur
Fri
etc..

I appreciate the workout links, but those just show the routines some people follow, and it's not clear if those are daily or weekly routines.

So, this is my dilema. I don't mind paying for the guides.
How much are you willing to pay? I'll design a program for you, but it won't be free. Any other coach worth going to also won't be free.