CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
John Carpenter

Profile:
Officially Started today!!

Well I've been messing around with CF for about a week now, even trying the Paleo (sort of anyways) diet. So today I've officially started CF and the Paleo to try it for a month. My starting weight it 242lbs at 5'11. I know, extremely overweight for my size, but I throw around a kettlebell sometimes, so I'm hoping there is some size under the fat...

Anywho, until I can get my side of the garage cleaned out and set up for CF, I'm doing the bodyweight CF routines that I printed off of here. I just finished with a scaled back version of one, and I'm whipped. I can't believe how much out of shape I've become. My goal is to get my fitness level up to above average, and bodyweight down to 195-200 lbs. My timeframe is to do it this by Mar 14 (I've got dept inservice training at that time). It's a pretty high goal, but I've done it before getting ready for my Dept's Academy.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Kimberly Becker

Profile:
Re: Officially Started today!!

Hi John... welcome to CrossFit! I'm a newbie too and I love Crossfit! It's addicting. That's great that you made a decision to get healthy and get into shape.. you said you can't believe how much out of shape you have become..don't let that bother you. That's the past and the choices you are making now are great, and will only affect your future for the better.

There are some great people here that will answer any questions that you have, it's like a community. Welcome again and hope to see you around!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Congrats and good luck with your goal. You have an affiliate near you you can go to?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
John Carpenter

Profile:

I don't know, I'll have to check on that. I live up in Highlands of Virginia and anything and everything is quite a drive to get to. Once I get things figured out here, I think I can make myself quite the CF place here.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carpenter View Post
I don't know, I'll have to check on that. I live up in Highlands of Virginia and anything and everything is quite a drive to get to. Once I get things figured out here, I think I can make myself quite the CF place here.
I'm in your same boat. Rural Indiana does not have many options. Luckily my college's gym has most of what I need.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/ (WFS)

Check on the left side of the page there to check on affiliates.

If there's not one local to you, do the best you can using the resource of the website, and when you travel for work and/or to visit friends/family consider dropping in on an affiliate nearby if they have one.

Another recommendation I have is to check out the webpages for affiliates that do their own programming. They provide another source of WOD's if for some reason you can't/don't want to do the main site WOD. A good place to start is BrandX:

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ (WFS)

They offer scaled versions of the WOD's here which you most certainly should take advantage of. I've been doing this for over a year now and there are still WOD's where I have to scale the weight in order to achieve the desired intensity. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you're pushing yourself, making gains, and achieving the desired intensity.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
Matth Challoner

Profile:

What took you so long?

Seriously though aboard and good luck
Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
John Carpenter

Profile:

The Paleo is going to be a bear to stick with. My weekness will be at night, the sugar cravings suck and I give in every once in awhile.