CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:
I used wrist straps and a belt on the heavier weights on the recent dead lift WOD. Is that considered "fair play" or are the use of these tools discouraged?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
They are discouraged. If you can't hang on to it, you can't lift it.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
Gary John

Profile:

How about large headbands and spandex?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Large headbands and spandex are encouraged...especially if accessorized with pink fuzzy leg-warmers.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Don't forget fingerless mesh gloves, bling bling gold chain, nike high tops and a golds gym towel.

Adds at least 10lb to your best tricep kickback 25RM

Old 08-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Guys, don't forget the cell phone that you can pin against your ear while working out. That is VITAL to success, especially in this day and age. Who has time to just "work out"? Multi-task, baby!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he was asking a legit. new guy question. Lighten up a bit fellas.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
Don Stevenson

Profile:
In an attempt to answer the question seriously...

Straps and belt would not be considered fair play when comparing yourself to the results posted by other people under comments.

Functionality is a key concept of crossfit and belts and straps aren't very functional since it would be a rare occasion in real life where you had the chance to attach yourself to an object and reinforce your spine before lifting.

Also in using straps and a belt you lose out on two significant training benefits, training your grip and your back. Remember crossfit is GPP!

If you were doing deadlift as a SPP activity you might have a case for using straps if you were doing some high volume training and your grip gave out first or if you wanted to save your grip for another activity.

In the recently posted video of Pyros Dimas doing some amazing olympic lifts I noticed he was using straps for snatches, probably because it was close to a comp and he didn't want to fatigue his grip.

The belt is slightly more contentious. Really if you are doing deads for GPP then you want to avoid the belt because it teaches you a different method of core stabilisation (in my experience) which has little transfer to unbelted lifts.

If your back is tired and you need a belt then basically its time to stop lifting for the day.

Again for SPP the situation is different. If you compete in Powerlifting or strongman then the belt is part of your equipment and you'd need to learn how to use it to get the best out of your lifts on comp day.

My suggestion, do the workout as posted and record your results without a belt and straps. Then if you are keen you can go a little further and "practice" some deads with your gear.

Phew! long post, the snide one was much easier to write :wink:
Old 08-15-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Yeah, what Don said. I didn't mean to sound rude, but my sarcastic and not-so-witty nature gets the best of me, sometimes.

No excuses. Just my apologies.

Expanding on what Don said about the belt, if you don't know how to yet, learn to form a "virtual belt" using intra-abdominal pressure. Pavel Tsatsouline talks about this a lot in his works under the name High Tension Techniques and Zipping Up. Christopher Sommer uses them with his gymnasts, as well.

Whatever you call them, they do work very well for helping increase strength while lifting safely. Tension = Strength, but Tension also leads quickly to fatigue.

Basically, you lock in just about every single muscle in your body. Grip the ground with your toes, corkscrew your feet (or your hands) outwards, tighten up your abs and glutes and hands as hard as you can. Take a sharp breath into your nose, focus your breath into your lower abdominals (this is a visual aid only), and then execute the lift while holding that tension (DISCLAIMER: If you have any heart problems or hypertension, CLEAR THIS WITH YOUR DOCTOR).

As you are coming out of a pushing lift, like a military press or a heavy squat, slowly and tightly release the air out of your mouth. If you're doing some pulls like a deadlift or a heavy pullup, hold the tension until you safely release the weight.

Personal note: Without these techniques, I can barely do a one-legged squat with a 36lb kettlebell. With them all together, I can almost effortlessly knock off reps holding a 53lb kettlebell. Anectdotal, yes, but they work.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
*insert MOTHER F*<#!%& ARMS DAY comment here*

using 'aids' to help workouts with injuries - okay
using 'aids' to add weight not possible without 'aids' - not okay