CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Jonathan Silverman

Profile:
skipping a vaccine

someone i know who works in a hospital is being given a mandatory flu vaccine. they want to get out of it. is this possible?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: skipping a vaccine

Would depend on what conditions of employment they agreed to when they started working there.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Lee Sybert

Profile:

I believe if you tell them your allergic to eggs you don't have to get the shot.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Should be a waiver. At least there is for fire / EMS personnel.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Silverman View Post
someone i know who works in a hospital is being given a mandatory flu vaccine. they want to get out of it. is this possible?
At my hospital you can refuse the "mandatory" flu shot. You have to sign a paper that basically says "yes, I've recieved education and I know I'm an idiot for refusing to get the flu shot, but I'm stubbornly refusing anyway".

Don't know if all hospitals are like that. Obviously if you're allergic to eggs or have had a previous reaction they won't give it, but lying about that just to get out of a shot is retarded.

but really, I'd just suck it up and get the shot. allergic reactions aside, there is zero scientific evidence that the flu vaccine has any negative effect on adults. Reports of vaccine reactions tend to be extremely misleading and rely heavily on scare tactics, hearsay, and pseudoscience.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
At my hospital you can refuse the "mandatory" flu shot. You have to sign a paper that basically says "yes, I've recieved education and I know I'm an idiot for refusing to get the flu shot, but I'm stubbornly refusing anyway".

Don't know if all hospitals are like that. Obviously if you're allergic to eggs or have had a previous reaction they won't give it, but lying about that just to get out of a shot is retarded.

but really, I'd just suck it up and get the shot. allergic reactions aside, there is zero scientific evidence that the flu vaccine has any negative effect on adults. Reports of vaccine reactions tend to be extremely misleading and rely heavily on scare tactics, hearsay, and pseudoscience.
The last time I had the flu was around the same time I had my last flu shot. Haven't had it in forever. That's also with being in the environment of public education.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:14 AM   #7
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

At my hospital it's mandatory. If you choose not to get it that's fine. But, you have to wear a mask once you are in the facility. If you don't wear the mask you will be terminated.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:28 AM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
At my hospital it's mandatory. If you choose not to get it that's fine. But, you have to wear a mask once you are in the facility. If you don't wear the mask you will be terminated.
This seems fair. The hospital is saying that you have to take some step to prevent yourself from spreading any viruses that you may have acquired.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
This seems fair. The hospital is saying that you have to take some step to prevent yourself from spreading any viruses that you may have acquired.
I disagree. If we (Staff Members) have to get the vaccine, sure it might protect the patients from getting something for us. But, what about the people that come in off the street who haven't had the vaccine that walk around in patient care areas?

They pose the same threat to the patients as does a staff member not getting the vaccine.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
I disagree. If we (Staff Members) have to get the vaccine, sure it might protect the patients from getting something for us. But, what about the people that come in off the street who haven't had the vaccine that walk around in patient care areas?

They pose the same threat to the patients as does a staff member not getting the vaccine.
It's the difference between something the hospital can control (somewhat) and something they can't.

The Hospital I work at has just banned children from visiting inpatients.