CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Andrew Vincent

Profile:
Beginner Program and Park Program

Hey all,

I posted my 12 Day Beginner's Program and Park Program* on my website:

http://crossfitteamsavage.com w/f/s

http://crossfitteamsavage.com/progra...s-program.html w/f/s

http://crossfitteamsavage.com/progra...k-program.html w/f/s

I love the open source nature of our community and I had to share too...

Any feedback/criticism is welcome. You are also welcome to copy/borrow any/all of it. Just please give me (CrossFit Team Savage) a little credit Thanks.

-AJ

*The "Park Program" gives me programming options for people who drop-in unexpectedly on my group workouts. The exercises are fairly simple, but the WOD as a whole are intense, so if they like it, they can come back for more
Old 09-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
Tish Traster

Profile:
Re: Beginner Program and Park Program

Josh, Nice website! Love your Savage dude icon. Good idea with the park program. It gets you out in the public. I like the way you have that scaled. If I may make a suggestion, and I'm just speaking from my past year's experience. You might think about not posting the entire program on your site. My clients seems to enjoy the anticipation of not knowing what's coming next. I think they really get a kick of logging into the blog, checking their facebook or twitter early in the a.m.. It's become a little ritual for them and I think it encourages clients to "think" about their workout program, which in turn, begins the process of incorporating fitness as a lifestyle. Good Luck ~Tish

Last edited by Tish Traster : 09-10-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: cause I can't spell
Old 09-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Ivan Ruiz

Profile:

That's very cool, Andrew.

Question... Do you carry around your weights/plates? Where do you do you WODs if you don't have a gym?

-I
Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Andrew Vincent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Ruiz View Post
That's very cool, Andrew.

Question... Do you carry around your weights/plates? Where do you do you WODs if you don't have a gym?

-I
I keep my weights, KBs, plates, etc. in my garage. I load up my pick-up truck with whatever the workout of the day requires and haul it up to my local park.

I spent a lot of time on my page today thinking about how I can better position my services and reduce my frustration/pain-in-the-butt factor.

I have tried a few times to start a beginner's program for someone (for free as a introductory promo) and then they got sick, or had a friend in town, had to work, etc. and I got really frustrated because I loaded up my stuff, lugged it out to the park and they didnt show.

(keep in mind my operation is really small, i usually have 2-5 people working out with me at a time.)

so my new model is this...

my "park program" is free. its all bodyweight stuff, that way 90% of the exercises require little to zero instruction and little emotional investment of my time. it gives someone new to CrossFit and/or new to my affiliate a taste of "high intensity". if they want more, and want to start throwing weights around they can pay for it.

bottom line: im not trying to make a living, i want people to fundamentally understand what high intensity training is. i'm putting a call out for fire-breathers to join my workouts.

the fees i charge are to buy new and maintain my current equipment.

i will take one freebie who is willing to go to that dark scary place to do 100 Burpees for time over 10 people paying me $40/hr for personal training.

sorry for getting on my soap box...

who else has comments/questions?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
Ivan Ruiz

Profile:

Good stuff, man.

Question: What's the difference between your "Group Workouts" and the "Beginner's Plan"?

By the way, you have 2 messed up links on your page. If you click on Information and Programming, you are taken to the folder structure instead of to a web page. I would deactivate those links if I were you.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Ivan Ruiz

Profile:

I also sent you a PM...
Old 09-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
Andrew Vincent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Ruiz View Post
Good stuff, man.

Question: What's the difference between your "Group Workouts" and the "Beginner's Plan"?

By the way, you have 2 messed up links on your page. If you click on Information and Programming, you are taken to the folder structure instead of to a web page. I would deactivate those links if I were you.
Fixed the links...thanks.

Who new CrossFit would teach me HTML...

My Beginner's Program is a structured set of 12 days, in order, where new skills and WODs are built on what is learned the previous days.

My Group Workouts are for someone who has a basic understanding of all the CrossFit movements, and can safely complete the WOD. Those workouts are generated by my programming methdology and sometimes borrowed from crossfit.com

Last edited by Andrew Vincent : 09-11-2009 at 08:25 AM.