CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Thalita Vergilio

Profile:

Open Bristow Procedure for Shoulder Instability

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this topic, I don't seem to find much information online. I have just undergone an open Bristow operation on my left shoulder, following two failed Bankart repairs which were done arthroscopically.

What are the chances that I will be able to recover completely? I would like to be able to box again (and this includes fighting), to surf, do handstands, pullups, all those things that I used to do before. Am I being too ambitious? Or is this the end, the absolute end, and I will never be able to lead an active lifestyle again?

What are other people's experiences? Also, what is the rehab like and how long does it last? My surgeon wants me to wear a sling for 3 months, isn't this a bit long? Will I have to wait 3 months before I can even go for a jog?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Open Bristow Procedure for Shoulder Instability

Listen to your doc and physical therapist.

As long as your muscles and joints are intact with proper rehab you should be able to be fairly active and lift again. Don't rush things.

Again, listen to your doc and physical therapist.

Also, make sure your physical therapist knows you want to get back to sports and/or lifting weights. The rehab they prescribe for athletes can be a bit different than for people who they want to just get back to normal everyday activity especially in the latter stages of strengthening.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Thalita Vergilio

Profile:

Re: Open Bristow Procedure for Shoulder Instability

Thanks for your reply, Steven. Got a bit of a problem there in that I've only just moved to Thailand and I don't speak the language. Communicating with the medical staff has proven rather difficult, therefore my need to search for as much information online as I can.

My surgeon said I don't need physio, which I found rather bizarre. He seems to think it is enough to just keep moving the arm about as pain allows it. I suppose once it heals a bit I could start using the same protocol I used for the two previous Bankart repairs. Problem is: how do I know I've reached the "once it heals a bit" point? I don't want to damage the repair.

If anyone has been through this type of operation and wouldn't mind sharing any rehab experience/specific protocols they had following this, including time to wait before running, return to sports, etc, it would help me immensely. I will still run it by the doctor, of course, but it will make my life easier