CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-09-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
Jeryd Leuck

Profile:
I have been doing Cross Fit for quite some time now and I really enjoy it. The only thing I am not liking is that my friends will not join in. (Something about needed to work the chest one day and legs the other day.) Anyways, to keep working out with them we are doing a mini bench press competion. I figure to win (and who does not want to win) I need to do a double body weight bench press.

Any good ideas on how to get up to a double body weight bench press?

*Note* I am still doing Cross Fit as much as I can, this is just a little side playing. :proud:
Old 04-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
John S. Powell

Profile:
Did a search on T-Nation, figuring it was the place to look for muscle-specific, isolation training. Got a few interesting, long reads.

"Advanced training":
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=27ABA9D8C5282A808551548A91 A827E0 .titan?id=595990

"Setting up"
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=27ABA9D8C5282A808551548A91 A827E0 .titan?id=570881

"8 week process"
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=27ABA9D8C5282A808551548A91 A827E0 .titan?id=539885

I'm sure there are a million more articles in there about the bench press, seeing as it is a staple in the un-crossfit diet.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
Jeryd Leuck

Profile:
Cool. Thanks, I will have to check out this "T-Nation".
Old 04-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Just going to offer a suggestion:

I'd consider a double-BW bench almost a freak thing...I doubt (though I've never spent much time in powerlifting circles) that there are many people who can do that with decent form. I'd say if you're 100lbs. over your bodyweight with decent mechanics you're probably doing quite well.

Why not try selling them on a "max. reps at 225lb." contest? This is one of the standard tests at the NFL Combine, and seems a little more realistic (and practical).
Old 04-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
Bo Blakemore

Profile:

look at dan johns new "get up" article on his web site. pure gold. probably right on what you're looking for. i'm in agreement with matt's train of thought.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Jeryd, I believe Lynne Pitts has trained and competed to a better than double bodyweight bench - she might have some useful insight for you.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
I would have to argue that a rep test of 225lb is not a realistic test for the NFL, likewise the rest of the Combine. But it's here to stay and there are specific programs to help players excel in the combine and there are programs that help athletes excel at combine and field performance. The guys who do "great" in the bench press test aren't exactly the best at using that form of muscular endurance.

Double bodyweight sounds reasonable if you know what to do or how to do it. What will help is not just knowing how to bench press, but having strong spotters. They may need to deadlift the weight off you at any time and vice versa.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
As I wrote earlier...I don't have much experience in the powerlifting arena. I did a little research after shooting my mouth off (Google is a wonderful thing) and came upon the USA Powerlifting website and their American records for Men's bench press:
http://www.usapowerlifting.com/recor...benchpress.htm

So...it would seem that yes, double BW+ bench press is quite within reach of some people. But I believe I'm not far off in my assessment that those folks are something of the "freak" nature. What's more, I'm sure that we're looking at people who've trained for years to achieve those numbers, and who've forsaken other avenues of training (cardio, etc.) that might detract from absolute strength. I'm not sure of the time component for the contest mentioned...but I'd imagine it's fairly short, and I suspect our thread starter isn't interested in dumping most of what he does to maximize bench press gains.

I suggest the "225 for reps" contest not because I think it's particularly practical...but because it's a known "standard" and would probably be easy to talk a bodybuilder into. And given the endurance component involved, I figure that CF training would be applicable.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:55 PM   #9
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
For what its worth Matt, I'd have to agree with you, though I'm not quite sure Id use the term "freak" to describe them.
I think you're right on the money though in your assessment that they have "trained for years to achieve those numbers, and forsaken other avenues of training"
Perhaps Jeryd, like Matt says "225 for reps" or even "bodyweight for reps"
If you are interested in adding to your crossfit workouts, I would highly recommend reading some of Dan John's articles. You'll get strong, and fast.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #10
Chris Forbis

Profile:
How about just bodyweight reps?

That's just my two cents on the matter...