CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #51
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: Fish Oil Recomendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Charney View Post
Fish as we know has a lot of poison in it, or at least that is what we have been told lately. I believe this. It is also my opinion that much of the toxins are in the oils. Just like you can sometimes smell certain foods someone eats thru their sweat.
Certain fish tend to have higher amounts of mercury in their flesh than others, but there is no fish on earth that preferentially binds mercury to lipids. Mercury tends to bind to muscle. No commercially available fish oil product should come close to having a dangerous level of mercury.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #52
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Would 3 be suitable on a daily basis if you are also getting omega 3 from other sources such as flax oil?
Old 08-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #53
Tim Reding

Profile:

I'm in
Old 08-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #54
Oliver Sneddon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Sneddon View Post
From my perspective you're taking omega3's to keep the omega3mega6 in check, not necessarily on bodyweight. There will be RDAs for healthy fats based on bodyweight, but the main concern with most folks is they're taking way too much omega6 and too little omega3 which causes ill health. To know how much omega3, you have to know how much omega6 you're getting. It gets troublesome for me quantifying amounts because it's simple enough to work out omega6 then balance with a similar amount of omega3, but when you start talking about taking combinations of omega3 or/and EPA&DHA it's less clear.
I've just quoted my post with the end bit edited because it wasn't correct and it wouldn't let me edit or delete it after 30mins.

My question was, is there info on how to balance the omega3 to omega6? For example, if you've worked out you need 20g omega3 because you're taking about 20g omega6, should that 20g be split equally between ALA,EPA and DHA?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #55
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Letting people know that i am working on something for the purchase of

http://www.ascentahealth.com/product...asea-hp-200-ml wfs
if you want to read up on the stuff. Its top shelf and the end all be all of omega 3
Old 08-20-2009, 02:21 AM   #56
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post

if you want to read up on the stuff. Its top shelf and the end all be all of omega 3
Frank, looks very good quality. Keep us posted.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #57
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:

Quote:

I would like to know as well. or a good online retailer for ordering in the USA (website shows no store in my vicinity sells NutraSea)
Old 08-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #58
Noah Martin

Profile:

Quote:

That looks good and I'd be interested in learning more.

I currently am trying a Target Origin Brand FIsh Oil - 1.2mg per capsule - Enteric Coated - around $18 bucks for 250 capsules. A bit cheaper than the Kirkland costco although not sure on the quality.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #59
Matt Charney

Profile:

Andrew, mercury isn't the only toxin in the fish oils. I agree toxic levels may not be reached in a recommended daily dose of any fish oil. Will toxic levels be reached over a life time of taking 3-8 times the recommended daily dose? I'm only 39 and plan to take fish oil at 3 grams of epa/dha per day minimum for the next 50 years or more.

I look at fish oil kind of like an insurance policy. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend on premiums. I'm not buying the most expensive one but not the cheapest either. You get what you pay for, just like most things in life.

I've made my choice to go with fish oils that are independantly tested instead of just going off the marketing claims on the labels.

Good luck to all because we won't know the effects for years to come.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #60
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Charney View Post
Andrew, mercury isn't the only toxin in the fish oils. I agree toxic levels may not be reached in a recommended daily dose of any fish oil. Will toxic levels be reached over a life time of taking 3-8 times the recommended daily dose? I'm only 39 and plan to take fish oil at 3 grams of epa/dha per day minimum for the next 50 years or more.

I look at fish oil kind of like an insurance policy. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend on premiums. I'm not buying the most expensive one but not the cheapest either. You get what you pay for, just like most things in life.

I've made my choice to go with fish oils that are independantly tested instead of just going off the marketing claims on the labels.

Good luck to all because we won't know the effects for years to come.
dude... you live in So cal... the Air you breath contains far more mercury from automobile emissions and from industrial emissions.
wfs
http://www.epa.gov/mercury/about.htm
http://publicaccess.custhelp.com/cgi...i=&p_topview=1

a Lot more to worry about than just fish.