CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-07-2009, 01:11 AM   #121
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Fish Oil Recomendation

thanks, Moran. I haven't watched that yet. I will go do so very soon. I'm still thinking I'd like to keep the higher doses to help speed recovery from workouts and flesh out any inflammation. Right now, it's trying at 4-5 capsx4-5/day. That'll crush the bottle in no time.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #122
Sami Al Rais

Profile:

I get 5.2 g of EPA/DHA a day from the Carlson's fish oil I take by the teaspoon (4 a day). I also eat salmon and eggs everyday and either tuna/mackerel or sardines PWO. Am I getting too much Omega 3s? Is that possible?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #123
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Question: I have no underlying medical conditions or pains, although I would like to reduce/eliminate my acne which has been a problem for many years. I figured going paleo and reducing insulin spikes would help, but the difference is miniscule. Does this count as a type of inflammation which would warrant taking more than 3-5g per day? I only just started taking 2-3g last week.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #124
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

black box it.
stick to 3g for a couple of weeks. if nothing changes go to 5g. rinse and repeat.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #125
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Question: I have no underlying medical conditions or pains, although I would like to reduce/eliminate my acne which has been a problem for many years. I figured going paleo and reducing insulin spikes would help, but the difference is miniscule. Does this count as a type of inflammation which would warrant taking more than 3-5g per day? I only just started taking 2-3g last week.
Acne is hormonal related to your test levels. I cant find anything that talks about fish oil and acne that wasn,t trying to sell a product.

are you doing fish oil or cod ?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #126
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
Acne is hormonal related to your test levels. I cant find anything that talks about fish oil and acne that wasn,t trying to sell a product.
are you doing fish oil or cod ?
I'm doing cod liver oil.

Cordain has an article called "Implications for the Role of Diet in Acne" which suggests it is caused by a) w-6:w-3 imbalance and b) too much insulin. I've got the insulin thing under control but I'm not so sure about the former.
Also, this link: http://www.omega-research.com/researchview.php?ID=211 (wfs)

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 09-07-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #127
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
I'm doing cod liver oil.

Cordain has an article called "Implications for the Role of Diet in Acne" which suggests it is caused by a) w-6:w-3 imbalance and b) too much insulin. I've got the insulin thing under control but I'm not so sure about the former.
Also, this link: http://www.omega-research.com/researchview.php?ID=211 (wfs)
if your eating paleo .. the the 6 to 3 issue will lessen.

I remember way back when, oily foods was one of the many things to avoid.

cod liver oil is rich in vit a which if i remember is not hormonal friendly. Would need to read up on that. But do check and see what your oil vit A dose is .

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 09-07-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #128
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran Bentzur View Post
Joe, according to Dr. Sears in the latest video in the journal you are spot on. He recommends 2.5g Omega3 for healthy adults, along a healthy diet that doesn't include excessive amounts of omega6 (mainly from vegetable oils).

p.s.
This also puts to rest the debate about Dr. Sears trying to put everyone on 15g O3 per day just because he sells fish oil.
Great video, watched the 4th and 5th part, going to get around to 1-3 soon. Yea in the video he only mentioned 15grams when he was dealing with someone who was very obese (Manuel) or very sick (coma). It's pretty amazing what an adequate amount of fish oil in your diet can do, I never realized it had that much of an effect.

Quote:
How long have you been Paleo? I used to have breakouts and the odd pimple or two for a good while, but when I cut out dairy (milk and cheese, still eat eggs) my acne went away. It did take a couple months for mine to clear up, so if you haven't been Paleo for long that might be the reason, if not for the fish oil.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #129
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
if your eating paleo .. the the 6 to 3 issue will lessen.

I remember way back when, oily foods was one of the many things to avoid.

cod liver oil is rich in vit a which if i remember is not hormonal friendly. Would need to read up on that. But do check and see what your oil vit A dose is .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
How long have you been Paleo? I used to have breakouts and the odd pimple or two for a good while, but when I cut out dairy (milk and cheese, still eat eggs) my acne went away. It did take a couple months for mine to clear up, so if you haven't been Paleo for long that might be the reason, if not for the fish oil.
I've been doing 80% paleo for about 3 months, and I've gone like 95% or more for about 3-4 weeks. It's gotten better in the past couple weeks but it's pretty obvious it's not disappearing. You could be right though that it'll take longer. I've waited 9 years already for it to clear up, what's another couple months?

The thing is that I get about 50% of my calories from fat -- eggs, olive oil, almonds, store-bought beef -- basically things that are high in w-6 rather than w-3 so it's quite possible I have a very high ratio.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #130
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
I've been doing 80% paleo for about 3 months, and I've gone like 95% or more for about 3-4 weeks. It's gotten better in the past couple weeks but it's pretty obvious it's not disappearing. You could be right though that it'll take longer. I've waited 9 years already for it to clear up, what's another couple months?

The thing is that I get about 50% of my calories from fat -- eggs, olive oil, almonds, store-bought beef -- basically things that are high in w-6 rather than w-3 so it's quite possible I have a very high ratio.
Eh, might need a little longer, not too sure. I also get around 50% of my cals from fat, and it's not grassfed beef either, but my acne still cleared up. Are you putting your hands on your face alot? Some of the acne might just be due to touching your face alot when your hands are dirty. I'm just spitballing here...