CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
Travis Hall

Profile:

after following these two threads i had a some questions/points/ or maybe just confusion
:happy:

kipping pull-up thread

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/8920.html

sternum thread

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/8847.html

i read through the linked articles in the sternum thread- they all have differing advice. most state the pull-up (palms away) is less benficial then the chin up (palm towards) because chin up has greater rom and uses more muscles... except the article from u.mich that said opposite: pullups have greater rom then chins.

also, in the video coach posted in the kipping thread- isn't greg kipping 'chin ups'? it appears his palms are facing him... i'm not critizing- i just want to make sure i'm right on this.

is also seems that crossfit (myself included) focus mainly on pullups (with kipping).

from my experience i find i get better rom from chins but pullups seem to be a more functional exercise (climbing, pulling stuff, etc. all use movements more similar to the pull then chin).

so whats the deal? does the majority agree that chins are better? more rom and muscles invloved? or are pullups still considered more beneficial? does it even make a difference? should a person be mixing it up?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Travis,
I do them both ways, especially during the CrossFit WarmUp. They are both a natural motion, so I think it neccessary to work them. The rope climb utilizes strength developed in both...
Old 04-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
I think most people here advocate mixing them up. A CFJ back issue states that try them all ways, then work on your weak ones. Many people comment on the main page that when lots of pullups are called for, they mix up the grips during the WOD in order to stay fresher, move faster and therefore develop more power.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Travis Hall

Profile:

"they mix up the grips during the WOD in order to stay fresher, move faster and therefore develop more power."

that's a really good point. i guess its the same with everything. mix it up- have no weak links- and stay functional.

i was under the impression that the main focus was pullups and only pullups. thanks for clearing that up.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
There was also a statement in one of the CFJ about pullups and how as you start to hit numbers around 40 reps the disparity between pulls & chins disappears. I haven't reached that yet and still find that chin ups are easier and I also like an alternating one forward, one back grip. One day I'll get to around 40 reps and tell you all what it's like.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
BTW, the other night I was doing "jumping" pullups where I would pullup and let go and switch my grip to a chin grip. Lower and pullup and let go and switch to a pullup grip. Only about 4 reps for 3 sets, but it was still a fun little trick.

Old 04-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
William Hunter

Profile:
I'm with you Keith. I can't wait to tell someone what 40 pullups feels like.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #8
Jason Carey

Profile:
40 pullups feels like hell! even if you kip... :biggrin:

keith, are you "jumping" from the ground to switch, or relying just on the pull to get you clear of the bar? i've been working on the latter (no leg involvement) and can attest to the fun. although you do get some strange looks in the gym.

i'm trying to figure out how the chinup (palms facing) has a greater ROM than a pullup. at least for me, at full extension the chin grip is really uncomfortable. especially when kipping, i find it tough to hit that "backwards C" shape at the bottom with a chin grip.

you guys that get more out of chins, how wide is your grip? do you kip on chins, or are you comparing strict chins to strict overhand pullups?

Old 04-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #9
Travis Hall

Profile:

i agree- its harder to get that "c" with a chin-up. plus, the kip does hell to my wrists with a chin-up. the tension just feels wrong... with a pullup it all seems to 'fit.'

but as i mentioned before: that greg guy seems to do fine kipping on chins....

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/strict-kip.wmv
Old 04-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #10
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Jason

I probably jumped on the first rep but after that I didn't let my feet hit the ground. Tons of fun.