CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
mike goddard

Profile:
Hello - new member

I am not very fast but I sure am slow.

Hey -

I am new to the board. Felt the need to find a place where I can get tried and true answers for fitness issues.

My current 5K is at 23:50 I squat 300 and bench 220 at 5'9" 185#. I carry most of my fat in my abs which killed my bodybuilding. I run every other day 3miles and lift 5 days religeously trashing my legs once a week with Lunges, squats, straight leg dead lifts, extensions and leg extension.

I have competed in body building and have run 18 min 5k's in my early thrities.

My goal is overall body weight reduction (170-175). i work out (5) days a week and cannot seem to reduce my weight

My diet is good during the day but in the evening I feel like I am starving especially on work out days. My work luch or food consists of 7:00am tomato juice 9:00 am shake (1 cup of ground oatmeal, 3/4 pasturized egg whites, cup skim milk, suger free nestle quick) and a bannana 11:00 big fuji apple 1:00 shake (another outmeal/eggwhite) 3:30 shake (whey protein and skim milk) bannana. My dinner and late snak at home is my problem by them I a too hungry to control calories intake prior to sleep. I have been doing the oatmeal/protein shakes 2xday for 15 years, quick easy meal replacement.

My work out occurs before work or at lunch.

I need to know how to fight that hunger and train to maintain muscle mass and loose the lard.

I just finished my peak 5K race of the year today. I had some set backs in my training that were unavoidable BUT I was unable to be as strict on my diet as I needed to stay under 180, it seems too hard and my dedication level in the past and currently is pretty good. I am hear to humbly accept any ideas that stick to the wall. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Wendy Nelson

Profile:
Re: Hello - new member

c'mon peeps what's up with no responses, where's the love?

Here's hoping this bump gets you some advice. In the meantime I'll see if I can't search up some previous advice that matches where you are at.

Stop by the store and get some MEAT, that's how you fight off the hunger. Grab some walnuts too and veggies.

i'm starved just reading your post..... stick around this is the place for what you need. I think you just caught a bad cycle in the post window.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Gordon Cooke

Profile:

I agree with Wendy. You need to eat more Mike, especially if you are training hard. Cut back a little on the fruit and eat more meat and veggies.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Scot Roeder

Profile:

Welcome to the Crossfit message board. Do you do Crossfit workouts? Check out the Paleo diet. I have heard a lot of great things about it. Lots of meat,fruit,and veggies. No milk,grains or sugars.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Your diet is lacking in bacon, meat, fat, and veggies.

Throw out the skim milk and replace with whole, raw if you can find it.

Throw out the egg whites and replace with real eggs.

I'm not sure what the nestle stuff is, but it has more than 4 ingredients and is advertised by the manufacturer which means it isn't food, it's an overly processed food product, throw it out.

Eat more in general.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
mike goddard

Profile:

Wendy -

Thanks for the "love"....you got some responses going. I had to apologize for not reading the future stickey for newcomers. I like the notion I should eat more.....now if i could just lay on the couch more

Scot -

What i consider crosstraining and what I am reading about crossfit training I would say no....not yet. My wife and looked over the Paleo diet....we will need to change to default grocery list

Gordon, Jamie -

The diet suggestions are unanimous.......and they fly in the face of my past 20 years of meal planning and dieting (considering how I feel lately that is probably a good thing). I just have a hard time getting my arms around eating fat. I recall taking a flax seed oil near the end of my body building diet because I was eating nearly zero fat. That lack of energy I felt is eerily similar to how I have been feeling.

Thank you for the suggestions....