CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Navy Times Crossfit article

Anyone read it? Very favorable, very pro-CF. Not available online yet unfortunately.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Henry Thomas Williams III

Profile:
Re: Navy Times Crossfit article

Same article in the Army Times - it's the back cover. I turn every copy I see so that the article faces up. Maybe in fifteen years, our installation will figure it out.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Jonathan Silverman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Thomas Williams III View Post
Same article in the Army Times - it's the back cover. I turn every copy I see so that the article faces up. Maybe in fifteen years, our installation will figure it out.

Here's what you do: have the article photocopied and then have an insider clandestine-like drop it unto the desks of the higher-ups working in the offices at your installation.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Daniel Crookston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Silverman View Post
Here's what you do: have the article photocopied and then have an insider clandestine-like drop it unto the desks of the higher-ups working in the offices at your installation.
Get a PFC to do it when they empty their trash at night. If they get asked about it they can just say "So THAT'S where I left my five copies of that article! One on the desk of every platoon sergeant! I'm so scatterbrained..."
Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:

I will look forward to reading it.

The positive press will continue for years to come. Right here in our small part of the world we are observing more and more Navy personnel learning about and participating in CrossFit training.

We began training Navy EOD Mobile Unit 11 in March 2008 and we opened our Oak Harbor facility in April 2008. 90% of our membership is Navy and they range in rank from Captain (Commander, Electronic Attack Wing, US Pacific Fleet-he also attended a CrossFit Level 1 cert.) to E-2's and their wives and children. Several of our members are their command's AFM's and are using CrossFit to assist in training the men and women of their command. I've been invited on base to present nutritional seminars.

When EOD deployed teams to Iraq last summer, the command purchased equipment to take with them (rings, dynamax balls, kettlebells) so they could continue their CF training while deployed. The same with EOD and pilots and crews who are on sea duty. Many are doing CrossFit.

We have young men and women who have been with us for over a year and they have made tremendous improvement on their PRT's. We've had sailors who had to prepare for PRT #3. If they failed their third, they were going to be discharged. They all passed.

2 of our Oak Harbor trainer's are in the Navy. (1-Lieutenant, 1 E-5)

The Navy is catching on. The positive press will continue. The naysayers will also continue, but the positives will definitely out weigh any negative. Shoot, it's CrossFit!!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Steve Rakow

Profile:

Here's the link to the article (WFS): http://www.navytimes.com/offduty/hea...t_main_072809/
Old 07-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rakow View Post
Here's the link to the article (WFS): http://www.navytimes.com/offduty/hea...t_main_072809/
Thanks for the link, Steve!

Good article.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:37 AM   #8
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

Sean,

Thanks for the headsup. Its good that Crossfit is getting positive press. I'm not not a big fan of the PRT since Im not sure it says a whole lot about your fitness and the body composition stuff is a complete joke. I usually get measured at 21% bf or so via the "tape method". I'm know Im not at like 8% but 21% didn't seem particularly correct to me so I finally went to a personal trainer and had her measure my bf% with calipers. She measured me at 14%.

I think the real issue to figure out is how to get the average servicemember interested in Crossfit outside of making it the official command PT program. Most servicemembers that get interested in it were probably more interested in fitness to begin with. I will say that in my experience (at least in aviation) overall command PT results seem to correlate directly with the emphasis that the leadership places on it. Of course that is the case with most issues in a military unit.

Skip,

That Capt you mentioned is a former commanding officer of mine. I live in Oak Harbor but have been gone the entire year except for 2 weeks of R&R. Depending on when I get done here, I should have a month of down time in Oak Harbor before we leave for the East coast. Do you have any one month membership plans?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Great article, thanks for posting!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Brian Thurmond

Profile:

I wrote it for the Military Times. Yes it is good press for us that is why I did it. I will have a new column out every month and I hope that it continues to be good for the community.