CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-15-2003, 01:14 PM   #1
Gary Mills

Profile:
Hi,
I've just discovered the site; looks interesting.
I've been training in one way or another for years, i need to be fit for my job. Your training philosophy looks like it would suit me.

I'm familiar with most of the exercises shown on the site although i have never done any o/lifts.

I train in my garage where I've got a pretty good set up consisting of treadmill, exercise bike, power rack with about 200k of weights and a punch bag.

What do you recommend I do with what I've got and what other equipment do you think i should get.

Regards,

gary.

Old 11-15-2003, 01:51 PM   #2
Gary

Profile:

Gary,

Welcome to Crossfit. You'll find that a lot of us work out in our garages, basements, and barns.

You have most of the equipment needed already. If a WOD calls for some piece of equipment you don't have then another similar exercise can be substituted. Some Crossfitters have acquired a rower for the WODs that require it, the rest of us use substitutes. Some folks have a pullup bar handy some don't so we substitute.

The O-lifts will require a little time to learn the techniques. However, there are links on the main page that provide video examples, there are lots of discussions in these pages and the WOD discussions, and there are a lot of knowledgeable and talented people here. Just ask questions and you'll get some very good answers.

Just start with what you have, experiment, ask questions when you need to, and enjoy.

Gary
Old 11-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #3
Mike Minium

Profile:
Gary,

You'll find that pull-ups are featured prominently in most of the WODs (rightly so!). So without knowing what kind of squat rack you have, I'd suggest getting a piece of equipment that will enable you to do pull-ups (and dips, ideally). If your squat rack is one of those kinds that has a pull-up bar across the top of it, then you're all set.

I've ordered some rings (www.ringtraining.com) to take care of my pull-up/dip needs.

There are other things you can get, too, like a rower, a set of kettlebells, etc. to round out your home gym.

But I think the critical pieces of equipment are an olympic barbell and weights (for all of the olympic- and power lifts, which you already have) and some type of equipment for pull-ups and dips.

You may also want to check out the September 2002 CrossFit Journal. I think Coach details exactly what kind of equipment is needed for putting together the ideal home gym.

Oh yeah, welcome to CrossFit.

Mike
Old 11-15-2003, 02:49 PM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Gary,

Welcome to Crossfit!

Sounds like you have a good start to your home gym. The only additional piece of advice I would give is to use the search function of this message board (right at the top). Many people have come up with some ingenious ways of making parallettes, rings, medicine balls, clubbells, weight sets and other equipment that cost next to nothing. Their advice allowed me to greatly expand my home gym where before it wouldn't have been financially possible.

Also, if you're just starting the O-lifting, definitely check out the videos from World Class Coaching (there's a link on Crossfit's main page). It's the next best thing to having an actual coach.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 11-15-2003, 03:51 PM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Gary,
You could check here at the FAQ to see some common substitutions for exercises and hints on making toys.
Welcome aboard and enjoy!
Old 11-16-2003, 10:59 AM   #6
Gary Mills

Profile:
:happy:Thanks for the welcome and advice.
It so happens that pullups and dips are my favourite exercises so i'm glad they are a prominent feature in crossfit workouts.

I think, for the time being, I'm going to have to stay off Olympic lifts because I've got a back injury caused by doing deadlifts, probably with bad form as I've never had any proper coaching.

However I'm looking forward to applying the crossfit method and receiving some expert advice from you guys.

Incidentally, who is the person who you refer to as Coach?
Old 11-16-2003, 12:00 PM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Coach is actually Dick Cheney. Creating these workouts takes time, and that's one of the reasons he keeps such a low profile.:happy:

Actually, it's Greg Glassman. He pops in when he feels like it.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:09 PM   #8
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Gary:

Welcome. I would, if I were you, look at some of the other threads, particularly ones regarding back injuries. Even with your back injury, I would look into playing with the O-lift movements as well as the deadlift. I don't know your particular situation, but I would look into it.

You have a great start to your gym. If I had your setup and wanted to get my gym CrossFit ready (I started from scratch and now have nearly everything they do at CrossFit), I would get rid of the treadmill. I would only keep it if it were impossible much of the time to run outside. The treadmill and running outside ARE NOT equal. I would get a pull-up bar. Then I would get a rower. Next, I would get gymnastic rings. Following the rings, I would get bumper plates. Once you have those, you are pretty much set. After that, additions are great and a lot of fun, but not necessary.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:45 AM   #9
Gary Mills

Profile:
Patrick:
Thanks for that. I know what you mean about the treadmill. I mainly keep it for the winter months because I live out in the English countryside and we don't have any street lighting. It's dark in the morning when I leave for work and dark in the evening when I return.

Ive got a pull up bar and dipping handles on my power rack.

I think probably the rings will be my next investment and I'll have to see if I've got enough room for a ConceptII, space is a bit limited.

The thing about my weights is that they are standard rather than olympic. Maybe you can tell me what is the advantage of the olympic plates over standard ones?

Nice hearing from you,

Gary.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:05 AM   #10
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Gary:

I suggest that you get "bumper" plates. These are either made entirely of rubber or have a rubber outer edge. This is very important for the deadlifts and the O-lifts. They allow one to drop the weights (which will happen) without any problems. These plates only come in Olympic sizes. The difference between the Olympic plates and the standard plates are the hole sizes and thus the size of the bar you will use. So I would suggest that you get an Olympic bar as well. As a matter of fact, I would move the bar up to the top of the list. Further, I wouldn't skimp here. A good bar will set you back a few pounds but it will last you a lifetime if you care for it properly. I spent quite a bit on mine but I love it and it was worth every penny. A good bar (weightlifting not powerlifting) will facilitate your improvement in the O-lifts. You may be able to find a used competition weightlifting bar on the web somewhere. Good luck.