CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:11 AM   #31
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:
Re: CrossFit and/vs Yoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Some, like 531, SS, CFSB, etc are complete programs, or at least as complete as CF. IN that case it is a vs, since you couldn't do both.
The five primary movements of exercise are:

Bend-and-lift (e.g. squatting)
Single-leg (e.g. lunging)
Pushing
Pulling
Rotational (spiral)

If a fitness program doesn't include all five movements distributed equally across a workout schedule, then said program is not complete.

REFERENCE:
American Council of Exercise (ACE) (2010). Part III: The ACE Integrated Fitness Training Model. In: ACE Personal Trainer Manual (4th ed.), p. 89. San Diego, CA: ACE.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:17 AM   #32
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

j.

Hence my "As complete as CF" qualification.

I'm not sure how I feel about that list. I'll have to think on it.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #33
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about that list. I'll have to think on it.
What we tend to overlook about "functional" fitness is that not everything can be measure in up-and-down and forward movement. There are more than a few CFers who troll the boards looking for globo-gymers to pounce on with "go do your bicep curls in the mirror"-type comments, which illustrates one of the repeated peaks of ignorance in this community. Can you lift anything out of a car besides yourself without doing a biceps curl, and bring the object to around without a rotational movement? If you're in a line of people passing sandbags to build a levy to hopefully prevent your town from being washed out, what motions do you use? Your arm is in the curl position and you rotate laterally to pass it to the next person. The exact same thing can be said about unloading a supply truck in the middle of nowhere.

This highlights one of the most significant shortcomings of the CrossFit Method: Benchmark WODs, worshipped and revered by many, are linear in nature (which is why they can be somewhat measured with the now-mantra work formula), but real-world functional activities are not.

I strongly disagree with Dr. Jeff Glassman's effect on his son during the latter's formative years: the ability to measure an activity has no bearing on the worth of the activity.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #34
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

I would rather target specific (i.e. assessed) flexibility/mobility deficiencies rather than do yoga and hope for the best.
also see MobilityWod.com
Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #35
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
I would rather target specific (i.e. assessed) flexibility/mobility deficiencies rather than do yoga and hope for the best.
also see MobilityWod.com
Yoga is to targeted flexibility drills as olympic lifting is to bicep curls. Whole body vs. assistance exercises.

Katherine
Old 09-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #36
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

I agree that some/many yoga movements are beneficial, but why do extraneous movements that don't attack specific deficits or address the demands of CF? By simply stretching/mobilizing, you can pick out the right tool for the job. For instance, I doubt you will find specific stretches for the rack position in yoga.

I would also like to point out that for more informative info and opinions, this thread is worth checking out.

link WFS

Last edited by Ben Moskowitz : 09-07-2010 at 04:31 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #37
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
I agree that some/many yoga movements are beneficial, but why do extraneous movements that don't attack specific deficits or address the demands of CF? By simply stretching/mobilizing, you can pick out the right tool for the job. For instance, I doubt you will find specific stretches for the rack position in yoga.
Why do rope climbs and muscle ups? The debate about generalized stretching is exactly like the debate about "functional" exercises. Most Crossfitters that I've seen desperately need a whole body mobility program.

Yoga does have quite a lot of shoulder and upper back flexibility work.

Katherine
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #38
Darla Powell

Profile:

I have really been kicking around checking out my local Yoga studio. I have always been as flexible as a 2X4 and it gets in the way.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #39
Austin Engle

Profile:

In my opinion, Yoga is a great exercise to work into your schedule 1 day a week. Isometric poses help increase overall strength and flexibility. It's great for endurance, and it burns a lot of calories at the same time. It also helps increase mobility, which is essential in CrossFit workouts.

Most basic Yoga poses (Warrior 1, 2, 3, Reverse Warrior, Right Angle Pose, etc.) work on hip mobility as well as lower body strength. Sun Salutations help with Hip and Core strengthing and mobility when you're in poses like Upward Dog, plank, side plank, Chatteranga (SP), etc. Poses like Downward Dog help with Shoulder Calf, Glute, and Hamstring Mobility, effectively stretching all those areas.

When you put it all together, it makes for a fantastic workout that also helps increase mobility, which to me, is probably the most important to improving CrossFit Performance.

You guys can do what you want, but I'll be doing Yoga once a week, even if it's not typically RX'd for CrossFit.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #40
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

I've begun following a Yoga show on TV. I am going to do it on Sundays, normally a rest day for me. In addition to adding hamstring stretches, I am looking to increase flexibility in my back/legs. I'm not expecting a miracle in one day a week, but it can't hurt. Well, it does hurt. But in a good way.