CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Keith Martin

Profile:
Training Athletes

How do you modify training sessions with athletes who are specific in their training? I have a derby skater who does a lot of lower body work. How can I not personal train but group train her?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Re: Training Athletes

You can't unless everyone else is a derby skater too. Athletes need to train to improve their sport, not GPP. The movements, rep schemes, sets, and everything you choose for her needs to be in an effort to improve her performance skating.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Keith Martin

Profile:

So then that would put me under the parameters of a personal training or personal training session instead of CrossFit group training.

However, the bulk of the people that I am training are skaters so if I tailor my programming for them, the GPP group would still get effective training.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Derby skater as in Roller Derby? Roller Derby consists of 2 minute jams with two 30 minute periods. The jams start 30 seconds apart, but skaters can switch out between jams. Skating hard for 2 minutes then having a rest between 30 seconds and a few minutes sounds like something that high intensity CF workouts will prepare her for pretty well. And combine that with the fact that derby is a contact sport that needs to develop power not just in the legs, and I think CF will be a pretty good fit. Not optimal, but pretty good, and pretty time efficient. If the girls don't rely on derby for their lively hood and can't afford for their whole lives to revolve around training for derby, then I think it will be a fine fit.

And you can still make some easy programming changes to focus it a little more for derby without losing much or any GPP for the rest. More workouts with 2 minute rounds, with short rest in between. More sprint work. Maybe have some days where the derby girls do their sprints on skates and the non-derby people do their sprints in shoes. And don't forget the strength work.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Keith Martin

Profile:

Yeah. That's kinda what I was leaning towards. However, they do enough training on skates. They actually implement some of my programming. I referee for them so I help out with some of their workouts.

I was thinking of some 2-3 min metcons for them with short rest periods, just like a derby jam and I am definitely working in strength days.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Nic Michaud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Martin View Post
How do you modify training sessions with athletes who are specific in their training? I have a derby skater who does a lot of lower body work. How can I not personal train but group train her?
Uh, what is a derby skater? also what does sport specific training for her usually involve?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Keith Martin

Profile:

Roller Derby (Like in the movie "Whip It").
Various skating drills: Laps, fast and long. Footwork like hoping on skates or being able to jump and do a 180. Falling drills...things like that.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Nic Michaud

Profile:

Similar to skating on ice and roller blading i guess. Roller Derby isn't all that popular in my neck of the woods (due north about 2000 miles lol).

Nonetheless it seems similar to skating. I find (as i play hockey along with other workouts) that overal cardio level is big in how you perform (i.e. GPP) but you also seem to want to give her some SPP, I'd look north of the border at off-season hockey players and the stuff they (or i should say we) do that could be incorporated into your group routine, such as plyometrics, HIIT, and other stuff that helps to specialize without taking the non-skaters into training for a sport they don't do.

Is this sport full contact?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Keith Martin

Profile:

Nic,
Good idea. I will definitely check out some of the hockey training.
It seems to be gaining popularity here in the South but also pretty big out towards California

Yes, it's full contact which is why simply doing only endurance is not enough. They need to be able to hit and move (recover from fall quickly).
Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Ian Nigh

Profile:

I also recommend you look at CrossFit Football's programming for power athletes...