CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Augustine Castronovo

Profile:
Dan Henderson's last punch unnecessary?

I have nothing but respect for Dan Henderson, but his last punch on Bisping looked really unnecessary. I understand that his adrenaline must have been through the roof, but it appeared to be malicious and flat out dangerous.

Henderson said in his post fight interview, "Normally I'm not that way in fights. I know if a guy is out I tend to stop. I knew I hit him out. I think that one was just to shut him up a little bit."

There has been a lot of talk about Brock Lesnar damaging the reputation of the UFC and MMA in general, but what about Henderson? I spoke to my dad, who never watches mma, and asked him if he caught any highlights on ESPN. The only thing he remembered from the highlights was Henderson landing a punch on a totally unconscious and defenseless person.

I respect Dan Henderson and fully understand he acted within the rules, but what do you think???
Old 07-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Michael DeLuca

Profile:
Re: Dan Henderson's last punch unnecessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustine Castronovo View Post
I have nothing but respect for Dan Henderson, but his last punch on Bisping looked really unnecessary. I understand that his adrenaline must have been through the roof, but it appeared to be malicious and flat out dangerous.

Henderson said in his post fight interview, "Normally I'm not that way in fights. I know if a guy is out I tend to stop. I knew I hit him out. I think that one was just to shut him up a little bit."

There has been a lot of talk about Brock Lesnar damaging the reputation of the UFC and MMA in general, but what about Henderson? I spoke to my dad, who never watches mma, and asked him if he caught any highlights on ESPN. The only thing he remembered from the highlights was Henderson landing a punch on a totally unconscious and defenseless person.

I respect Dan Henderson and fully understand he acted within the rules, but what do you think???
You fight until the ref makes you stop. Everything else is collateral damage.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I thought it was funny how he completely left his feet and basically dropped an elbow on him.
People complain Brock is a fake WWE wrestler. Dan Henderson just went total WWE on Bisping.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

There's something to be said for a little restraint, but I have to say that its not like he didn't ask for it.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:

Never stop fighting until the fight is done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sean_connery_1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	4600  
Old 07-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Those kinds of punches have happened countless times. It's not just Henderson. It's part of MMA.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustine Castronovo View Post

The ref handnt stopped the fight, his blood was pumping, and bisping was his opponent. I would have done the exact same thing.

To the average joe watching the fight, it might look bad. But mma is fighting and there is no way to get around it.

When the Gracie's introduced the first UFC, it was to determine which style would win in a street fight.

As respectful and cool as most fighters are (and Hendo is at the top) it is still a fight.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Have you ever hear Michael Bisping speak?

If you have then you understand why that punch was completely and totally necessary.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeLuca View Post
You fight until the ref makes you stop. Everything else is collateral damage.
Exactly. No ref stoppage equals you get pounded until the ref does stop it.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:39 AM   #10
Augustine Castronovo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Have you ever hear Michael Bisping speak?

If you have then you understand why that punch was completely and totally necessary.

i don't buy this argument.

i understand that the fight goes until the ref stops the fight, but its total BS to say that Bisping is annoying so therefore deserved to be hit again while he was unconscious.