CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
Scott A Martin

Profile:
Need a Running Plan

Dear Crossfitters,

I was recently commissioned as a judge advocate in the Army. I thought I was going to begin training in October, but I just got a spot in a class beginning early next month.

I have no problem with push ups and sit ups, but I am a bad runner (I always skip running WODs... I know, foolish of me ). Right now I can run 2 miles in about 16:30.

I know there are countless threads about preparing for the APFT and running in general, but given that I only have 16 days I was hoping that someone could give me a specific program to follow during that time with the singular goal of improving my two mile run time to the greatest extent possible. I can dedicate as much time as necessary to training (e.g. multiple running sessions per day) and I am willing to cease all other training during this time to maximize my running gains.

I know that I need to run intervals, but more specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Scott
Old 06-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Need a Running Plan

CF Endurance (WFS)

You'll get the most benefit with the least risk of shin splints/stress fractures by supplementing CFE's programming into your CF WODs. 400-800m intervals are the best way to get faster for a 1-3 mile distance, and that's the kind of stuff CFE will have you doing. Getting faster isn't about volume, it's about hitting short workouts with maximum intensity, just like CF's approach.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Eric, thank you. I assume you mean CF Endurance as a supplement to continuing the WODs, correct?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
Eric, thank you. I assume you mean CF Endurance as a supplement to continuing the WODs, correct?
Scott;

Google speed work to run a fast 5k.
Don't do multple running sessions, maybe skip a few wods, get plenty of rest.

If you run 1 hard speed workout, 1 hill workout, and one 2-3 miler at a brisk pace, rest the balance, you'll be tuned up for your 2 miler.

400/800's along with 1 mile repeats, NOT DONE SAME DAY, you'll be fine.

Trouble is, 16 days is really too short to make a difference, best bet is to be well rested, day of test, pay someone to chase you with a lethal weapon, assume he's faster, if he catches you, he beats the hell out of you. Better yet, find a drug dealer that will chase you with an automatic weapon and his Pit Bull, guaranteed, you'll be running in the low 14's
Old 06-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
John McBrien

Profile:

Yeah, CFE is a supplement to CF. So, ideally you should be doing CF at least 4-6x per week and then supplementing in the CFE when you're conditioned to handle the volume of that many total WODs. Since you only have 16 days, I wouldn't go changing up your schedule a whole lot. Throw in 1 or 2 interval days, with 4x400 or several 800s and give yourself adequate rest (anywhere from 2-3 minutes or less, depending on your conditioning, ideally start with 2 minutes rest). Try and keep each effort w/in 2-3s of each other. Personally, I would skip the brisk run of a couple miles. If you need anymore help, shoot me a PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

My advice won't help much with such a short-term goal, other than to say please don't overwork in your attempt to meet this deadline. Running gains take lots of time and planning.

I recommended a book to another user on this forum today, but here it is again: Jack Daniels' Running Formula. I can't imagine ever needing another resource for how to build excellence as a runner.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

1. heavy lifting with DLs (1-2x a week) +
2. sprint work (working on increasing maximal speed < 70-80m 1-2x a week) +
3. 800m intervals (2-3x a week) +
4. race length run (1x week)

As you get faster with the sprints/heavy lifting (aim for sub 11-12s 100m + 2.5 bodyweight DL) then transition some extra sessions into longer runs.

that'd be approximately my recommendation based on what I wrote here:

wfs
http://eshlow.blogspot.com/2009/06/w...for-elite.html

Last edited by Steven Low : 06-19-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Thank you everyone for the replies and thank you Steven for the excellent article you wrote.

Steven, for parts 2 and 3 of your recommendation, how many times should I repeat each interval? E.g. 800m x ??; 70m x ??.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

800x4-5 with 5 mins rest. Decrease rest as necessary.

Your goal is to make them as high intensity as possible so you get faster adaptations. That means if you need to rest more to maximize time then do it
Old 07-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
John Szelog

Profile:

Steven,

Thanks for linking to your blog, that's excellent info, and something that I can use (what I've been doing hasn't been working too well).

Do you, or anybody else, have any advice on how to work on running form?

(I got introduced to CF by the PJs in my last unit, and I now incorporate a couple parts of it into my exercise "routine", if I can call it that. That's how I ended up here)

I'm 35, 5' 11'', 225lbs, and I've been lifting weights, walking with a rucksack and running intervals for exercise for the last 14 years. I've never been a good distance runner, so I avoided it if I didn't have a need to do it.

I can do intervals up to about 1/2 mile all day long with no problem, but longer distances are difficult.

I now need to do the 1.5 mile run for the Air Force, and it's killing me.

Since last spring, I finally got to where I could do a slow 3-miler, but that is only by cranking up the music, staring off into space, and I'll eventually fall into a good pace, but it's slow (15:17 1.5 miler on my first try).

I have two major issues:

1) If I can't get into a good pace, or I fall out of it, I run like a club-footed monkey, and it kills my endurance, as well as my speed.

2) Since I started doing speed drills, my lower back now gets continually tighter the longer I run, until it feels like my back is going to fold me in half. I'm wondering whether that is connected to my form, as I didn't have that problem early on. More crunches and stretches have helped, but not completely.

By the way, exercise-wise, I workout on my back porch with a 45lb bar and some weights, so everything I do is limited to what I can put up over my head.

When I get to do a full set:

125 or 135lbs
1x curl
1x standing clean and press (I believe that's the correct name - palms facing
in on the bar, jerk it up, and push it over my head - like the deadlift, but
without starting on the ground)
6x squats
1x rear overhead press

105lbs
6x curl
6x standing clean and press
12x squats
6x rear overhead press

85lbs
12x curl
12x standing clean and press
24x squats
12x rear overhead press

45lbs
24x curl
24x standing clean and press
50x squats
24x rear overhead press

If I'm pressed for time, I'll do the first set one day, and the second set the next

On light days, I stick to crunches (5sec hold x 25), push-ups, sit-ups and bridges (I usually try for 1.5 - 2.5 minutes face down and 1-1.5 minutes on each side)

Bodyweight-wise, I'm not going to go out of my way to lose weight just to lose it, the strength and mass that I have now is useful for what I do at work and at home.

Sorry for the long post, and Scott, sorry about commandeering your post.

John