CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Ron Hendrix

Profile:
Squat Form Check

Right away, I can tell that on my heavier sets my hips are rising before my shoulders, causing me to GM out of the hole, I also need to push my elbows back more, but I think that's just me nit picking. I'd recommend turning the volume off, unless you're into crappy gym music.

245 BS (wfs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOKh-uJpFyc

235 BS (wfs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hqf6ndn5Ew

225 BS (wfs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-gUpLXNE00

Thanks for any feedback you guys can provide, I appreciate it!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Steven Webster

Profile:
Re: Squat Form Check

You could try setting up a box and really concentrate on pushing your hips back and holding your knees back as well. See how that feels to you. (Don't set the box too low)

I think you're pushing the knees forward too much and not getting enough power from the hamstrings. It could be that you're getting thrown off balance especially as you rise the hips. With your knees so far forward the body needs to shoot up more, but obviously you're not going for an olympic squat so keep the quads and knee bend minimal.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Ron Hendrix

Profile:

I started out learning how to low-bar with box squats, someone else pointed out to me though that the intial movement when my hips break is pretty slow, then speeds up, I also don't push out my hips at the top.

I'll give it a shot though since it was also pointed out to me that I could be going too far into the hole and since my torso is longer than my upper body in order to keep the bar over my feet my shoulders have to travel forward. I'm gonna start concentrating on stopping just below parallel and see if that helps.

What are some ques to look for if I want to know if my hamstrings are as involved as they should be?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I think your back angle looks more or less fine. It lags just a hair on the last two reps of the heavy set but that is to be expected to some degree.

The comments I would make:

1) Invest in some lifting shoes
2) Narrow your stance 1/2" each foot
3) Rotate your feet so your toes are pointed out more
4) Focus on Sitting Back, and really SHOVING your knees out to the sides hard. If it helps try to spread the floor with your feet.
5) Buy some lifting shoes!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Ron Hendrix

Profile:

Is a pair of rogue do-wins really going to make that big of a difference?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Steven Webster

Profile:

Like I said, sit back on a box and don't bend your knees; let your thighs fall back.

Since your knees are coming forward so much there's no need to lean forward with your back; the angle of your shins are keeping the weight over your feet instead. They need to stay more upright while you bring the butt back and lean with the back.

You're doing a back squat and need to use your back and *** to lift the weight. It's a power squat, so you use your stronger muscles, the butt and back. Use knee bend if you want to use more anterior chain.

EDIT: some westside box squats fyi: WSF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F17X0ZeuT3o

Last edited by Steven Webster : 06-18-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hendrix View Post
Is a pair of rogue do-wins really going to make that big of a difference?
Yes.

Your shoes now are all squishy and your ankles are all over the place. Unstable ankles leads to unstable knees leads to unstable hips and lumbar and lots of bad things.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Ron Hendrix

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Webster View Post
Like I said, sit back on a box and don't bend your knees; let your thighs fall back.

Since your knees are coming forward so much there's no need to lean forward with your back; the angle of your shins are keeping the weight over your feet instead. They need to stay more upright while you bring the butt back and lean with the back.

You're doing a back squat and need to use your back and *** to lift the weight. It's a power squat, so you use your stronger muscles, the butt and back. Use knee bend if you want to use more anterior chain.

EDIT: some westside box squats fyi: WSF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F17X0ZeuT3o
I guess I'm under the impression that I'm pushing back my hips as is to intiate the movement. I know I don't forcefully contract my glutes at the top though, which is something I need to work on. I can't really grasp what you're trying to tell me though when you say, "don't bend your knees; let your thighs fall back." I know I have to sit back to a certain degree and that my back angle should be the same the whole time, but I can't see how I'd do that and not bend my knees...maybe I'm just reading into that too much.

And Robert, I went back and watched the videos again, i definitely have some ankle roll, thanks. I can't afford any rogue's or anything right now, but I'll look into them whenever I get back into school in the fall and get the GI Bill again. In the meantime, would curling my toes up and forcing myself to push off my heels be a temporary solution so I'm not leaning onto my toes?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I think it is more the squishy shoe that is causing your ankle to move around, not that you are not trying hard enough. You could try barefoot squatting and see how it feels, or if your gym doesn't allow it you could look into some chuck taylors, they are usually pretty cheap.

Basically what you want is a shoe that you can tighten up pretty well and will provide a solid contact to the ground. If you have a pair of shoes that fit this bill go for it. You could even try like tux shoes if you have a pair.... Either way you can be as creative as you want
Old 06-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
David Gray

Profile:

Ron, you're squatting pretty easily four plates, so it's not bad. Stability from foot to bar is everything, even dress shoes that lace up tight will make more difference than you would expect, as will the heel height.

Robert, you're better at diagnosing than I am, but what I see is Ron getting low, maybe too low, but also lowering his chest to get there. Maybe this is because of that damned mirror. Great hip drive, though. Maybe Rip's cue to get just to where you're almost low enough, then CUT IT OFF and drive up might improve Ron's lift some. That way he doesn't drop the chest after his hips have settled. Or am I seeing things? I don't want to over analyze, but I see him moving forty-fifty more pounds than he's currently moving.