CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Joseph Gammon

Profile:
SS - hit the wall a few weeks in

background: Been at SS for a few weeks, according to fitday calorie intake has averaged 4500 per day. At least 1/2 GOMAD per day. My gains have been what I expected according to the SS book.

My problems now: 1: I am tired of eating. I have never had to diet, but I can't imagine it being harder than stuffing yourself. 2: I am hurting - mostly legs, but I am constantly sore (a good sore). 3: (not a "problem" per se, but) My wife is 8 months pregnant and up often in the night, and I am a light sleeper, so I am up some as well - ergo - 8-9 hours of sleep is not happening - I probably get at least 7 per night.

Should I take a rest day? Should I take a few rest days? Anyone else have the problem of just being tired of eating that vomiting seems like a nice option most nights after dinner and milk? To combat the food issue, I try to eat more and more in the early part of the day, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Any experiences will help - thanks.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Kevin Perry

Profile:
Re: SS - hit the wall a few weeks in

Up the calories, sleep more, check to see if your increasing the weight too much, work on decreasing stress levels.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Hmm, soreness should dissipate somewhat. Did you ramp up like you were supposed to or did you just go straight to 5 RM and up?

Also, what Kevin said.... as much as possible. Sleep is the most important... cals are fairly secondary. As much as you can, but you can still make gains without the caloric surplus although won't be as good.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #4
Joseph Gammon

Profile:

well, sleeping more is not really a good option because my wife is always moving around because she is about to pop (I am up at 4:30 am now for example). I was going to do SS until the baby came, but if sleep is the key, I might have to start back up when the baby starts sleeping through the night.

bummer
Old 02-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
Joseph Gammon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Hmm, soreness should dissipate somewhat. Did you ramp up like you were supposed to or did you just go straight to 5 RM and up?

Also, what Kevin said.... as much as possible. Sleep is the most important... cals are fairly secondary. As much as you can, but you can still make gains without the caloric surplus although won't be as good.
I did ramp up for squats and DL for about two-three weeks, which I had never really done in my life. the others, I ramped up for a few sessions.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
Jagtar Mukhtar

Profile:

just put up with it, or sleep in another room?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
Noel Welsh

Profile:

Remember, it's during the rest time that you get stronger, not during the gym time. If you can't get the rest you need to recover from your workouts you need to drop their intensity. Perhaps try skipping Wednesday's workout and see if your recovery is better.

With the baby due so soon, now isn't the time to be selfish. If your kid is like mine you won't see the gym much for the first few months anyway, so I wouldn't worry about your progress. Think of it more as maintenance, with any gains being a bonus.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Noel's right. You've frankly got more important things gonig on in your life than SS ... and your wife will remind you of this if you get your priorities confused.

That said, if you can't sleep as much as you need, then perhaps ramp up your progression a bit less aggressively. You're not recovering as well as optimal, but you're still recovering. Address the diet/calories issue, sleep as well as you can, and content yourself with slower strength increases than you might have otherwise.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

yeah, i would say that having a baby is gonna stifle any training you're doing for a while but especially a program like SS that depends so much on rest. But for when you do get back in the gym here's a few tips/facts.
1. Eating is the hardest part of the training. It does suck being full all the time but just with like the actual lifting you just have to suck it up and push through it.

2. I don't have a baby or pregnant wife but I have trouble getting to sleep on time so I usually only get about 7 hours myself. I started taking ZMA before bed and it has helped out a lot. I'm never tired in the morning and I feel very well rested. Search ZMA in the forum to find some info about it.

3. If you're feeling sore all the time (especially if you've been training for a few weeks) don't be afraid to take a day or 2 off. Usually 6 weeks in people are encouraged to take a full week off, but just like everything else do what feels right for you.

4. Lastly, have fun with it! SS can be very boring and repetitive but the strength gains are well worth it. Try adding in some assistance exercises to shake things up, but if you start to feel unmotivated to work out because it's so boring...TRY SOMETHING ELSE! You should be working out for your own enjoyment and once it stops being fun you're defeating the purpose.

Hopefully this helps!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
Joseph Gammon

Profile:

Thanks for the replies - it was probably wishful thinking thinking all would be calm in the weeks leading up to the birth, but I am giving it the college try anyway.

I'll look into the ZMA, but with a wacky schedule coming up, I will probably just try to do maintenance with another SS cycle in a few months after things calm down a bit.