CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-10-2009, 02:56 AM   #171
Michael Peachey

Profile:
Re: Recommended barbell in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke Riding View Post
Hoping someone knows a gym, hardcore fitness store or similar where I can buy athletics chalk in the western suburbs of melbourne. So far zero luck, and it seems that online I'd have to go through kettlebells.com.au to find it.

At this point I'd take anywhere vaguely west of melb city...

p.s. alternately, are there any any climbing chalks that are just chalk, and not "100% magnesium carbonate, no additives" "with a safe drying agent added"?
I bought online at amazon, all good!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 AM   #172
Darren Rushworth

Profile:

Hey Michael
I got the same bar from Gym & Fitness with my bumpers and found the same flaking as well. For the price I'm not too worried. The bar will be just for squats once my Pendlay bar arrives.

I 2nd the chalk ball as well. So much less mess.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #173
Maciej Dunski

Profile:

My GG bumbers arrived yesterday, also got the 1500p bar with thruster bearing . Haven't had a chance to test them yet, but my experience sounds similar to all the guys who went with those items with gym&fitness.

Cheers
Old 08-13-2009, 03:36 AM   #174
Neil Scholtz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Jee View Post
hey guys...

I work out at Southern Crossfit and we've just got a large shipment of bumper plates from Neil Scholtz from Ballistix Fitness..

I've been using them for about two weeks now (first wod - crossfit total!! =) )

heaps of bounce when you drop them, will keep everyone posted on longer term things (rubber wear, brass ring deformation)

carter
We made sure that the bumpers didn't have a brass ring, but rather a steel ring so as to increase the life span and decrease deformation. Not only are the bumpers from Ballistix Fitness, but also the rubber hexagonal dumbbells, competition steel kettlebells and gymnastic rings.

We're increasing our range to include oly lifting bars, weightlifting shoes, GHD's, sand bags, as well as the MHTY bumper plates (as reviewed on The Garage Gym Store).

Speak to Hayden from Southern Crossfit and you can check out some of the equipment at his affiliate.

Jeremy,

Ballistix Fitness is a Crossfit Affiliate in South Africa and one of the only Crossfit equipment suppliers here. We're teaming up with Southern Crossfit in Perth, to get you guys decent equipment at good prices there in Oz.

Last edited by Neil Scholtz : 08-13-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #175
Hayden Thorneycroft

Profile:

G'day Guy's,

just making this quick post to let everybody know that if your looking for CrossFit Equipment here in Oz we can get it for you here at Southern CrossFit(w/f/s).

Just send me an email at hayden@southernxfit.com and I can let you know the pricing, a complete list of what we can get, etc.

Our pourpose with teaming up with Balistix Fitness is to firstly to get the gear here in Oz and also to offer you guy's from the local CrossFit community better prices compared to what's out the also... we would love to help in any way we can to grow the CrossFit community in Australia!

Any questions please feel free to shot them at me.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #176
Paul Epstein

Profile:

Neil, free kilo of biltong for every 10kg of plates purchase? its hard to get over here
Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #177
Maciej Dunski

Profile:

Quick <non-technical language>User Review of Garage Gym bumpers and 1500lb-rated bar:
- so I've been using the set from Gym & Fitness for the last couple of weeks, and have been happy with them. As one user stated before, there is a bit of corrosion visible on the inside collar of the bar's thrust bearings, but that doesn't worry my so much. The only aspect that I would point to is that the bar is quite thick (30 mm diameter I think) and I find it a challange to keep a good hook-grip as I progress through a high-volume WOD. But I don't have particularly large hands, so this may not be an isssue for bigger guys. I look at it as an added challange, and a way to work on my grip strength. Other than that, I'm very happy with the bar.

The bumpers are pretty good. There are small 'hairline cracks and gaps in the rubber, particularly where the 'seams' are. Again, that doesn't worry me too much, as I figure that I will be dropping them onto the platform anyway.

Overall I'm a happy camper. My confidence with greater weights has grown, and I'm not worrying all the time about using my wrist when I clean and snatch, as I was when I was using my crappy (non-olympic) barbell with metal plates. In fact, only earlier this week I used the old bar for some hang-cleans, fairly light weight, and man...what a difference. I couldn't believe the loading on the wrist and how much the speed of the lift was affected.

The next goal is to save up some more $$ for additional fraction plates and bumpers and maybe a better bar, but that will be some way down the track.

Cheers.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #178
Adam Bennett

Profile:

I love this thread!!!!

I am in the process of setting up the home gym and this is just what i was after! So far i've read about half of all the posts, will have to finish the rest another day.
Plenty of great information - keep it coming. Should definitely make things easier when i'm able to buy a bar and plates. Also, nice to see some Adelaide boys representing and dominating the thread, nice work! Awesome to hear about Maxim - right here under my very nose the whole time...

Sleep time now...
Old 09-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #179
Michael Peachey

Profile:

Yeah mate, all good here in SA! I've personally got the

* Bar and Bumpers from Maxim (factory direct)
* Squat Stands from Hart Sports (online)
* Bodymaker Flat Bench from Gym Direct (online)

Being in SA I can tell you that I've only had positive experiences procuring these, postage no biggy at all, and highly recommend each of these pieces of equipment! As for my KB's, got Ben at Crossfit Adelaide to source these for me!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #180
Carter Jee

Profile:

hey all!!

after a good two months of using the bumpers from ballistix fitness at southern crossfit, I can say that they definitely hold up to a lot of abuse....

dropped at various heights and power onto platforms and concrete, they haven't warped and the steel inserts are holding up really well!!

we use squat stands from hart sports.... whilst they're good for certain applications, they aren't crash hot for really heavy squats when you're trying to rack the barbell!!

the kettlebells and rings are pretty decent too and cop a fair bit of abuse!!

i know that the trainers are planning to get more equipment in, so if you're interested contact hayden at hayden@southernxfit.com

will keep this thread updated later down the track on how the bumpers are holding up...

carter