CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-03-2009, 04:28 AM   #151
Justin Shipley

Profile:
Re: Recommended barbell in Australia

Yep, thems the ones

The discrepancy is only noticeable in the 25s, squatting or cleaning with all the other rubber loaded up at once gives no sensations of imbalance (i grabbed a pair of everything from 25kg down to 1.75kg, except for the 15kg plates for which i subbed another pair of 20kgs)
Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #152
Michael Peachey

Profile:

The plates I got from maxim have the same issue... when I rolled in to buy them, they asked if I wanted calibrated weights. Being young and naive I assumed all weights were (at least quite closely) the amount written on them!

I asked what the acceptable tolerance on non-calibrated weights were, the dude didn't know. Chucked a 20 on the scales, one was 20.25kg, another was 20.1kg. Can't remember exactly how much the calibrated ones were, but I know it was enough to motivate me to not care about the small discrepancy!

I figure as long as it's not so bad that I feel lopsided, at the end of the day it doesn't matter TOO much... as long as the weights don't change each day, it's still specific and measurable!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #153
Michael Mayrseidl

Profile:

Need some Aussie input and opinions pls lads.

What do you think looks better out of these 2 deals?

Can get this 180kg bar & bumper set from cybermarket for $1245 delivered but have to wait til early September.

http://www.cyber-market.com.au/produ...d82aae3a166991 (WFS)

or can get this 150kg bumper set
http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/Bum..._150kg/452.htm (WFS)

plus this 1500lb rated bar
http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/220...00lbs)/288.htm (WFS)

from gymdirect for $1090 delivered.

Anyone have expeience with either of these companies or familiar with the bumpers pictured????

The first set look a little better quality but I reaaaaally want to get bumpers at home ASAP so that I can face my deadlifting weakness a little more regularly.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #154
Steven Crawford

Profile:

Hi Michael, I haven't commented on this thread for a long while now, and I'm amazed by the new sites people keep finding for gym gear here in Australia.

I haven't had any direct experiences with either of the companies you mentioned but a couple of observations:
- I did see that same brand as the one from cybermarket being sold on ebay a little while ago for approx $800-900 a set. In my experience, things you get off professional ebayers are generally not the highest quality.
- Be wary of the 1500lbs rated bar, 32mm shaft diameter is quite thick. Fine for squats, bench, presses, but probably not ideal for deadlifts and any olympic lifting. I personally went for a more grip friendly 30mm bar, I would like one even thinner.

Also, I think they were mentioned a little while ago here, but its worth mentioning the Garage Gym bumper set from Gym & Fitness agin. It is due in Australia in late July & is on sale now - (wfs) http://www.gymandfitness.com.au/gara...ack-p-749.html.

Hope this helps, good luck with your purchases
Steve
Old 07-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #155
Darren Rushworth

Profile:

Hey Michael

Thanks for the new links. Gym Direct have some decent looking squat racks that I might get instead of waiting for Hart Sport to get more in stock.

I haven't heard of the bumper/bar set (S.T.C.) from Cybermarket before but they look like a similar design I've seen on a youtube video.
This one here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJRz00E3lo wfs
It's London Crossfit testing their new bumpers. The writing on the plates is different but they look very similar. Cybermarket don't provide much detail on the bar, but the only other bar they stock is $105 so that would make the bumpers/collar around $1,140 delivered.

There isn't a lot of information on the bumpers from Gym Direct, but looking at the photo, they seem to have brass inserts. If that's the case you'd be better off going for the Garage Gym bumpers as they are steel insert and $100 cheaper.

In the end it really depends on what you want to use your bumpers for. If it's just deadlifts then the drop height isn't going to cause too many problems. You could even find a cheaper set if that's the case. If you're looking to do some olympic lifting with drops from shoulder height or above head, then the bar from Cybermarket may not last very long, and at 32mm may be too thick for the lifts). Same goes for the Gym Direct bar and bumpers, on top of the brass inserts and the very thin 5kg bumper.

Hopefully I've helped you narrow your choice down. I've been looking for bumpers for the last 2-3 months and I can definitely say it's a relief when you finally find the ones you're happy with.

Darren
Old 07-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #156
Jeremy Lamplough

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mayrseidl View Post
Need some Aussie input and opinions pls lads.

What do you think looks better out of these 2 deals?

Can get this 180kg bar & bumper set from cybermarket for $1245 delivered but have to wait til early September.

http://www.cyber-market.com.au/produ...d82aae3a166991 (WFS)
Hi Michael,

I've had the cybermarket bumpers for about 18 months. No issues with them except that they are a bit loose on the bar so they rattle when dropped. At the time I got them there wasn't much choice around. The youtube link is very accurate as to what they are like.

I'd probably go for the garage gym ones which are recommended by Steven.

The bar I got from cyber-market was a cheapy which is the reason I started this thread in the first place ;-).

Also, cybermarket wouldn't sell me individual bumpers.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Last edited by Jeremy Lamplough : 07-08-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:22 AM   #157
Darren Rushworth

Profile:

I was just checking out the Pendlay website and noticed that Australian Kettlebells is an authorised reseller.

Went to their website and they have the NexGen bars on there. But not due till October.

http://www.kettlebells.com.au/store/...ympic-bar.html (wfs)

$550 for the bushing class and $680 for the bearing class.

It's great to see some quality affordable equipment finally hitting Australia.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #158
William Henniger

Profile:

If there is an ambitious entrepreneur out there, we are looking for an Australian distributor.

We have been shipping to Australia with great rates as of recent for large orders so we have the pipeline figured out.

This is a great opportunity for someone to step up!

Email: kris@roguefitness.com if you are interested

Bill
Old 07-10-2009, 04:06 AM   #159
Graeme Beath

Profile:

I've bought some med balls from Gymdirect & they're ok to deal with. Being in Sydney though I was able to go there & look at them.
The bumpers listed in the 150kg package for $899 are a little sus I think. They look like a set I trialed at CFX on an Eleiko bar. The centre ferule is a little larger than normal & champhered out at the edge so the bumper tends to flop around a little. If you dump the bar from overhead the movement works the weight out pretty quickly. They're Ok & cheap but you need to adjust the plates back after 3 or so drops.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #160
Carter Jee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Rushworth View Post
I was just checking out the Pendlay website and noticed that Australian Kettlebells is an authorised reseller.

Went to their website and they have the NexGen bars on there. But not due till October.

http://www.kettlebells.com.au/store/...ympic-bar.html (wfs)

$550 for the bushing class and $680 for the bearing class.

It's great to see some quality affordable equipment finally hitting Australia.
dude that rocks.....just pre-ordered mine!!

carter