CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 12-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Daniel Olsen

Profile:
A little opinion thread

Hi! I am a X-fitter and a big ufc fan from overseas . Last thing I've been able to see have been "fight for the troops" and "silva vs cote night" before that.

But one thing I am wondering about(dunno if people have discussed this before). Am I the only one who thinks it sucks when the judges breaks up in the middle of a fight and the audience is "booing" when they are grappling because its not enough "action"?

I really like to see the ground game.

Pardon my bad English ;P

edit: And the judges saying "do something!" annoys me bigtime. But maybe its for the best to get some intensity?

Last edited by Daniel Olsen : 12-20-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Frank Dennis

Profile:
Re: A little opinion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olsen View Post
Hi! I am a X-fitter and a big ufc fan from overseas . Last thing I've been able to see have been "fight for the troops" and "silva vs cote night" before that.

But one thing I am wondering about(dunno if people have discussed this before). Am I the only one who thinks it sucks when the judges breaks up in the middle of a fight and the audience is "booing" when they are grappling because its not enough "action"?

I really like to see the ground game.

Pardon my bad English ;P

edit: And the judges saying "do something!" annoys me bigtime. But maybe its for the best to get some intensity?

Couldn't agree more, Daniel... after all the time they've spent watching fights up close, you'd think that the judges and referees would realize that guys are often working their asses off on the ground.

That said, there are plenty of times when they're not really working to advance positions, which is boring to watch, but again, you'd think they would be able to tell the difference...

And, of course, they can. But, the people of Rome come to the Colosseum to see blood, so if it's not fast and furious the ref stands them up. Which, IMO, is why we more and more often see fighters, most recently Jorge Gurgel (at least, most recently which I've seen), foregoing their stronger ground game, staying on their feet to bang with a guy and not winning a fight they could have won. Because they're worried about not being exciting enough to watch and, as a consequence, not getting more fights.

If no one but people who were understood MMA watched it, then we probably wouldn't have this problem, but then of course, it wouldn't generate nearly as much cash. Which, unfortunately, is what it's really all about for the people in charge...
Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
there are plenty of times when they're not really working to advance positions.
Joe Rogan (I know, who cares) has said they should never be stood up. I think if they're not working to advance they should be stood up. If boxers are just in the corner hugging they're broken up. I think it's similar.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Daniel Olsen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post

Couldn't agree more, Daniel... after all the time they've spent watching fights up close, you'd think that the judges and referees would realize that guys are often working their asses off on the ground.

That said, there are plenty of times when they're not really working to advance positions, which is boring to watch, but again, you'd think they would be able to tell the difference...

And, of course, they can. But, the people of Rome come to the Colosseum to see blood, so if it's not fast and furious the ref stands them up. Which, IMO, is why we more and more often see fighters, most recently Jorge Gurgel (at least, most recently which I've seen), foregoing their stronger ground game, staying on their feet to bang with a guy and not winning a fight they could have won. Because they're worried about not being exciting enough to watch and, as a consequence, not getting more fights.

If no one but people who were understood MMA watched it, then we probably wouldn't have this problem, but then of course, it wouldn't generate nearly as much cash. Which, unfortunately, is what it's really all about for the people in charge...
You sorted out the things i didn't think of, atleast now I won't be so angry without knowing that it's a reason about all.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Dane Grace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olsen View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it sucks when the judges breaks up in the middle of a fight
I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but if you're referring to referee stoppages, I'd have to disagree with you. If you mean standing fighters back up, which seems to be the course of the discussion here, I'd have to agree seven times out of ten.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Gabriel Amato

Profile:

I stopped watching MMA recently, i think that it has gone too much for the recreational area then to determine the best fighters.

As a Kajukenbo fighter, i work on BJJ alot and enjoy it, and is the only technique you can ue to trap the oponent and catch your breath before coninuing, but sometimes, fighters get too exhausted and don't want to continue the pounding, so they make the opponent strugle to get out while no effort is made to maintain him on the ground.

The judges can say what they want, i think the best part of the fight is on the ground, and i get really ****ed when the judges make the guys stand up.

I already fought (for fun) many different martial artist, but only got beate ugly from BJJ fights.