CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Jerry Hill

Profile:
I drink a cup of Joe and go get some at zero dark thirty every morning...been doing this for years.

You'll adapt...give it 2 weeks on an empty stomach before you try a pre-workout meal...

Good Luck.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness
Old 06-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #13
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
i've heard that repeatedly working out on an empty stomach after a night's sleep (and subsequently fasting for the same amount of time) trains your body to rely more on fat to burn energy, since it has no choice during the workouts. this seems it would be great for weight loss, but should be more effective with moderate workouts as opposed to intense crossfit wods which will likely require more fuel.

what ian and becca said for morning workouts makes the most sense for crossfit to me...but hard to argue with success if an empty stomach has worked for jerry for years. i don't like morning workouts with or without food, and prefer mid afternoon to early evening with a small bit of healthy food in my stomach from a 1/2 to 1 hour prior.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #14
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Mike, yes point 'c' was in reference to the time frame before working out during which you should be consuming said water and food.
As to what to eat as recovery food... first off I don't eat a zone diet, I never have... and at a 3-5% body fat level and high energy year round I really see no reason to change. So with that aside, I have two recovery meals normally. One as soon as my body is willing to accept food, and another about 45min later.
The first is usually a shake that has a combination of whey, casein, and a decent carb base.
The second is a bowl of oatmeal with two apples, a bunch of chocolate protein powder, and some skim milk.

Noted that the shake isn't the standard, and on occasion I do the oatmeal as the first recovery meal. Also this is whole rolled oats we are talking about, not the instant nonsense *grin*...
Old 06-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #15
Darren Zega

Profile:  
From four years of doing Army workouts I can tell you that one person's method is not a catch-all solution, you'll have to find something that works exclusively for you. However, my plan to prepare for a workout is essentially someone else's with a little tweaking.

Most importantly, sleep and hydrate! These are no-brainers to general health but when waking up for an early workout (I'm used to starting my warm-up at 0520) they take on an even more important role. Everyone's a little different, but I find I just can't function at my workout with less than six hours of sleep.

Also, make sure you hydrate before you go to bed. This will take some practice to figure out how much water you need to drink to be hydrated for your workout yet at the same time not wake up five times in the middle of the night having to use the bathroom.

The morning of, if you do the supplement thing, go with whatever your typical pre-workout supplement is. I like noxplode, personally, and do the creatine thing. If that's not your bag, some of my leaner friends like to have a granola bar before the workout to get some sugar in their bloodstream. Others I know like to have a piece of fruit - eat something but keep it light.

Like Ian was getting at, your recovery meal is even more important. You've just worked out after 5-8 hours of fasting and your body needs energy in a bad way. I also like to do the two meal thing. Personally, I like my first meal thirty minutes after I finish working out, and I also have a protein shake – Mine is a mixture of whey and egg that’s lower on the carb side. About an hour after that I have my full breakfast (I’m also not on a zone diet) which is usually a small bowl of oatmeal or whole grain cereal, four hard boiled eggs without the yolk, and a piece of fruit.

Most importantly, take some time to tweak what you eat and how you hydrate, both before bed and in the morning before your workout. Your body will learn to adapt to the morning routine, so don’t worry about feeling sluggish for the first week or so.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #16
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I workout exclusively in the AM. My method is to down two cups of strong brew, eat nothing, take care of business, and get to it. All usually goes well unless I've not gotten 7 solid hours of sleep, otherwise my workouts are strong. One more thing, I've never been a morning eater and don't get hungry most times till mid-morning to lunch so eating is not a factor for me.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #17
James Goodell

Profile:
Concur with much of the above advice, and I've been doing the early morning thing for awhile as well. Getting used to doing it helps some, and becoming a fat-burner instead of a sugar-burner helped me as well. I cannot eat before CF-level exercise without Pukie visiting. I found that when I eat a diet that has a lower level of carbs than most (zone carb levels or lower), and space my meals out further, I started running on fat more than on sugar, and I didn't feel the need to eat first thing in the AM. Maximal strength and speed is off somewhat and there's probably no way around that, but I can produce metcon results that match up with what I can do later in the day. My only energy problems come in at around 30 minutes, which only impacts workouts like run 10k, filthy 50, murph, etc when done unscaled. I just bonk.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #18
John Seaburg

Profile:
If early mornings are the only time you can workout, I guess it's better than nothing... but, cortisol is highest around 6am. Doing intense workouts can raise it even higher. You might be doing more harm than good. I try to avoid anything before 11am and after 4pm. Of course, that's not always easy to do.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #19
Sam Cannons

Profile:
For me personally i hate morning work outs but the odd one i do i will
1. wake up smash a shot of coffee and a small meal (boiled egg and a piece of small fruit)
2. listen to loud music and lift
3. eat post workout meal in terms of the zone like 4-5 blocks in size. Depending on time can be anything from a shake to a omlette.

Persist and it will pay off
Old 06-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #20
Darren Zega

Profile:  
John,

I would take the cortisol data with a grain of salt. Most studies have shown a correllation between a 6:00am spike and the AVERAGE population. Remember, at least in the US, the average person is considered underactive and obese. With any elite athlete there will be significant differences in their physiology. Someone used to a very early wakeup for a workout may have a significantly earlier cortisol spike. I know when I phase into and out of military training my natural stare of alertness and sleep cycle change which indicates that chemically "something" is changing.

From personal experience I think you can adapt to an AM workout easily. I personally just think that consistency in training time, so your body develops a regular sleep and recovery cycle, is just the most important part.