CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
My vision is poor, and I was wondering if there was any way to correct that. I wear glasses, and have since I was in 5th-ish grade, I think... Been too long to remember. Right now, if I hold a sheet of paper with pt12 font on it at arm's length, I cannot read it, but that is a very minor example of my loss of sight. Every year I have been getting more and more dependent on glasses, and I don't like where it's going...
Old 06-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Adam Noble

Profile:
I just ran across this article a couple days ago
http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2614899.ece
(WFS article about weird contact lens that act like braces for your eyes)
Old 06-09-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:
35 years of contacts/glasses, Lasik is scheduled for 6/29.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:05 AM   #4
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
check out some of weston a price's reading on vitamin A and eyesight health - very "eye opening"
Old 06-09-2007, 06:14 AM   #5
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Hey Jay, good luck with the LASIK. I had mine done in 1999 and it's still one of the best things I ever did for myself.

Patrick, does your prescripton have a (+) or a (-) in front of it?
Old 06-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
I've heard about Adam's shaping contacts before. Apparently pretty effective in the short term, but only for very specific problems.

There are several people who market strategies and systems for improving sports-related vision, everything from very expensive light-up apparati to very low-tech colored balls. Z-health (Dr. Eric Cobb) uses a few visual warm up exercises (tracking and focal length shifting) as part of one of the programs.

Not sure if the latter stuff will help you out, but it's interesting!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Adam
That's awesome. Wow.
What I'm worried about is the moderately-fast degeneration of my eyes, and even though glasses do correct vision, they also make it get worse slowly too... And from the sounds of it, these don't.

Re: Jay
Congrats. I hope it goes well for you.

Re: Richard
I'm finding it hard to navigate his site... Do you have a specific link you wanted me to see?

Re: Darrell
I am extremely nearsighted, so the prescription would be negative. I don't know how strong it is though... The last I remember having specific numbers for my vision was 8 years ago, when I had 20/80 vision, (ie. "You can see from 20 feet away what an average guy can see from 80 feet away.") so by now it must be far worse.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Patrick:

I took a look at your profile. At 17yo you will continue to change and get more nearsighted until you are in your late teens to early 20's. It's genetic karma; there's nothing you can do to change your eventual degree of myopia or nearsightedness. Relax, get a great eye doc, get fitted for a great pair of contacts, buy high quality sunglasses, and when you stop changing you can then look at the options that are available at that time. No surgery, no corneal molding, etc. until you are done growing.

Enjoy your youth!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Thanks for the good karma. If you see a guy at the Pittsburgh Cert doing the workouts with a seeing eye dog, assume the Laser had a power surge.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
David Sailor

Profile:
Jay,

It will be the best thing you ever did. Like Darrell, I had mine done several years ago and only wish that I had done it sooner. Your only concern afterwards will be finding a cool pair of sunglasses. David.