CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Shane Christopher Imbert

Profile:
Hey there everyone,

I just wanted to find out if anyone has successfully combined the ring-training exercises on Tyler's DVD and the Crossfit WOD.

The reason I ask is, that now that I have nearly all the equipment in my garage (rings, kettlebell, parrallettes, oly bar....just waiting on a plyo jump box I have just ordered) and will soon be embarking on crossfit full time, I still want to have the best of both worlds. ie:- Is it possible to follow a strict crossfit WOD protocol, along with the gymnastic rings skills?

I enjoy doing support holds, handstand against the wall holds, jackknives, skin the cat, bodyweight tricep extensions on the rings but I want to keep the metcon and heavy lifts from crossfit as well....I guess I don't want to fall weak in one area at the expense of another.

At the moment I am doing:

One Metcon on Saturday mornings

Two upper body ring workouts a week

One day of heavy lifts (deadlift, front and back squat etc)

One afternoon of some rehab/ corrective studio pilates for hyper-lordosis in my lower back. (Please don't knock the studio pilates unless you`ve given it a go because it is actually helping me with crossfit and my overall posture).

As you can see my current program is a bit all over the place.

Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Yes, but if you work the rings hard you may occasionally need active or extra rest days. I'd follow the WOD first, and then supplement it with the basic strength exercises (assuming you have no experience)- dips, pushups, pullups, MUs if you can do them... It really depends on your goals. If you want overall GPP, focus on the WOD, if you want to improve your ring strength/technique, more ring work.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Sub anything you do with bar with rings work. :-) If it says do x amount of dips on parallel bars (or doesn't specify rings), do them on rings instead. Basically, make the workouts harder for yourself by using rings, hehe.

Or read my creating your own workout routine thread here (w/f safe):
http://www.bodyweighttraining.org/fo...opic.php?t=794