CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
Jason David

Profile:
Re: Crossfit for weight loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
Jason: "I have a 4:49 Fran body".

BRILLIANT! I'll be stealing that liberally. If you read the comments you're likely to see it in "Sunday Musings".

Thanks.

Stephen: great advice given here. I have nothing to add. Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt.

-bingo
Ha! Thanks!
Clarification on the Fran body law. It is possible to have a 3 minute Fran body and not have a 3 minute Fran. It is NOT possible to have a 3 Minute Fran and NOT have a 3 minute Fran body.

My "Unable to complete Fran body" is the first pic in my testimonial...Pre CF.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

As Jennifer Foreman says, "Six pack abs are made in the kitchen." It may not even end up being a calorie reduction. It may end up being just an adjustment of where your calories are coming from.

If you think the main page WODs aren't metcon intensive enough, look up the CFE workouts. However, you won't see major fat loss until you get the nutrition dialed in.

Even if you don't want to take our word for it, there was an article written in mainstream news recently (need to find the link) that said that if you're looking for fat loss, it's either a minor nutrition adjustment or 2 hours of hard cardio every day (7 days/week, not only 5). A friend of mine said that all she did was cut out a single bagel and cream cheese that she was eating every day, and 15 pounds flew off.

Last edited by Emily Maisannes : 12-05-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Brian Owens

Profile:

Stephen,

I'll put it like this......I weighed 205 at the beginning of November. I started XFitting 3 days a week with a long run 1 day and a swim on another. I changed my diet and started eating a little better. It is December 5th and I weigh 190. How's that for weight loss? I got a little leaner and added some definition. Everyone's body reacts to excersize and nutrition differently. I still eat a little junk food on occassion.

Bottom line, if you change your diet you will notice changes. Those changes differ with the diet change.....and a good helping of the WODs.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:55 AM   #14
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Jordan View Post
I guess the problem I have is that I come from a background of running track in high school, where I ran 40-50 miles a week, and burned a ton of calories. It just feels like the Crossfit-style workouts won't consume nearly as many calories, and thus necessitate a substantial reduction in food intake.
Here's the long and short of it, fat loss is a HORMONAL PROCESS. Yes, shorter more intense workouts, like crossfit, may burn fewer calories WHILE you're working out, but the hormonal response and physical adaptation triggered by these sorts of workouts are untouchable by long slow distance type training. Once you're done a LSD workout, you're body is done burning calories. Not so much for short/intense workouts.

EDIT/PS: Either way, you're going to have to listen to everyone else and eat right.. but just pointing out the difference that LSD folks miss a lot.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whipple View Post
Traditional plugging away at the treadmill forever has been replaced by high-intensity functional movements which will require more effort than a treadmill has ever demanded from you.

I'll second that statement. Amen!

I have exercise induced asthma. CrossFit has greatly improved my cardio endurance. I am off medication (was taking Singulair pre-run) and no longer require an inhaler before or during my workout.

Last edited by Tish Traster : 12-06-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #16
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post

Whatever you look like when you achieve a 3 minute Fran is probably what you should look like.

This may be one of the smartest things ever said on this board. Brilliant in simplicity. Sums up the entire "will CF make me look better naked?" question in 18 words.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #17
Charles Whitworth

Profile:

I saw the post and I thought to myself, "Not enough cardio? Has he done CF correctly yet?"

Let me tell you something, if you want cardio do a CF workout as prescribed. If you can lift the weight, and if you don't kill over, I'm sure you might still be breathing ... REALLY hard.

If you do it right, you will find that cardio is the least of your concerns.

Last edited by Charles Whitworth : 12-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
Dave Maxwell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Jordan View Post
I'm interested in starting a Crossfit program, but I'm concerned that the amount of cardio in the WODs will be insufficient for my weight loss goals. I'm not particularly overweight (5'10", 175lbs), but I am trying to get leaner. Do you think Crossfit can be effective for weight loss as well as athletic conditioning?
Stephen-

I would definately say that CrossFit is effective for athletic conditioning and weight loss. Take a look at the CF Journal, I just had an article published in Nov documenting my first ten months using CrossFit.

Cadiovascular fitness is simply the body's ability to transport oxygen. You bosy returns to its resting metabolic rate within an hour after running. It may take an long as four hours for your body to return to its resting metabolic rate after randomized functional movements executed at high-intensity.

CrossFit will make you a better you, plain and simple.

Dave
Old 12-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
Joseph Shreckhise

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Here's the long and short of it, fat loss is a HORMONAL PROCESS. Yes, shorter more intense workouts, like crossfit, may burn fewer calories WHILE you're working out, but the hormonal response and physical adaptation triggered by these sorts of workouts are untouchable by long slow distance type training. Once you're done a LSD workout, you're body is done burning calories. Not so much for short/intense workouts.

EDIT/PS: Either way, you're going to have to listen to everyone else and eat right.. but just pointing out the difference that LSD folks miss a lot.
So true. Try to look up the video anerobic vs aerobic conditioning from the crossfit journal site. I believe you have to have a subscription to view it. It explains a lot in terms of your metabolism. I believe Coach Glassman said your body can burn up to 9x more calories over an 18 hr period in anerobic conditioning than aerobic conditioning. Also lean muscle mass affects signaling pathways in your body and helps prevent the deposition of adipose (keeps you from getting fat). You were burning tons of calories while running those 40-50 miles but with Crossfit your metabolism will be cranked up for hours after you finish and you'll build muscle which will also help you lean out. In regards to diet, it'll surely get you there faster but I've personally been able to reach a desirable body composition without watching it too much. This could be because I'm 22 years old though.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #20
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Maxwell View Post
Take a look at the CF Journal, I just had an article published in Nov documenting my first ten months using CrossFit.
That is an amazing article. Just for curiosity's sake, what's your body composition like now? You wrote it in the beginning and the middle, but never where you came to settle.

Thank you so much for sharing!