CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
Jessica Glenny

Profile:
I'm hoping someone can help me with this one. I really do enjoy WOD, but recently I've started doing yoga as well. And I love yoga (and I love crossfit, too). I intend to continue doing both but does anyone have any insight or thoughts on the combination of doing yoga and crossfit. In addition to that I also run and I go to a cardio kickboxing class about 2 - 3 times a week.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I do CF, a lot of ME training, Yoga, my event training for my sport, my sport on weekends (not all), and Tai chi. I stagger things. I can do a workout and Yoga/tai chi on the same day. I cannot my event training and a workout on the same day on consecutive days. I do Yoga on a daily basis. Tai chi when the moment strikes me. I try to workout at least four to five days a week. I try to event train at least three to four days a week.

By the sounds of it, you're on a similar path. The key is post workout nutrition, adequate rest, and listening to your body. Ocassionally, I have to take a few days off to let my body recover. When you don't feel like working out - listen to your body. But do the Yoga. You can do Yoga and it will actually help you recover.

Don't know if this helps. But I'm on a similar path.

All the best,
Arden
Old 05-03-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
Bill Ripley

Profile:
Arden - would you mind detailing how a typical weeks looks for you? I am trying to fit 36 hours worth of activities into 24 hours days and it looks like you have it figured out.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
Jessica Glenny

Profile:
Thanks, Arden. I try to do the same thing. On the days I do yoga during lunch breaks. I'll do kickboxing in the evening. And on the days I do Xfit, I try to follow it with a light run. And I do mean light. I just started running again a year after having a baby.
So far, I'm able to do Xfit about 2 - 3 times a week. I guess I'm wondering if I should be doing Xfit more than that. I eat relatively healthy (with one cheat meal a week). My problem lies in taking time to rest.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #5
Daniel Seth Rudolph

Profile:
I also think that yoga and crossfit make a great combo- they're both awesome and complement each other
Old 05-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I would definately increase your crossfit workouts to add in more days.

Also, it is hard to suggest how to blend your yoga in without knowing what type of yoga. Simple relaxation hatha yoga poses is very different from ashtanga, kundalini, bikram, etc.

Personally I do yoga for stretching and for nighttime relaxation before bed. I don't directly blend it in with crossfit workouts as yoga can't keep the intensity it up. With clients I often use yoga stretches to help with inflexibility issues (tight shoulders, tight hips, etc). I put the yoga poses at the end of the workout when the body is warm still but after a cool down to they don't overstretch either. In these situations, again, it is simply hatha yoga poses and not a full intensity yoga workout. I have also on occasion used the sun salutation series of poses as a midwarm up for clients. First do a light warm up, then the sun salutations, then the wod. But I am very careful in making sure I don't over stretch myself or clients in an area of their body that they will need for the workout.

I learned this the hard way before a taikwando class when I took a yoga immediately before. All my kicks were like spagetti. I was nice and loose but also all over the place physically. Very little control compared to when I did yoga at separate times or afterwards.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Hey Beth, new member?! Where the heck have you been?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Shane Christopher Imbert

Profile:
Hi there Jessica,

I have been doing ashtanga/power yoga consistently for nearly six years and was blending this with a bobybuilding split routine for about two years. I have now had to cut the yoga down to 2-3 times a week now that I am crossfitting. Believe me when I say Ashtanga yoga can be very harsh on the triceps after doing ring dips the previous day!

I now do more of an Iyengar style of yoga (much more static and poses are held for longer) after crossfit to stretch out my hip flexors and glutes and hammies.....which cop a beating from crossfit training.

Sometimes I mix it up and do crossfit in the morning before work and then yoga after work in the afternoons or vice versa. I concur with Arden that yoga on rest days is incredibly conducive with recovery.

Sun salutations and vinyasas are a good warm up before crossfit, they are actally very similar to burpees :-). Downward dogs held for 20 inhalations and exhalations are fantastic after Metcon workouts as well. They make your ribs expand and your torso lengthen. The various twists and inversions are good "come down" poses as well.

cheers

Shane
Sydney, Australia

Old 05-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
Anita Tyler

Profile:
Jessica - I do either a light to moderate vinyasa style practice, or a relaxation sequence. I try to do some yoga every day as I find it improves my recovery immensely. (Also, I stick with something better if I do it every day.) Some days it may be 15-20 min first thing in the morning or at night. On CF "rest" days, I try to get in a longer practice. CF is helping my yoga practice and vice versa.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
As a yoga teacher I think it's a good idea to have a little yoga in your weekly routine. Like others here, I'll do a few poses after a workout and I'll often put clients through a few poses after a WOD to cool down.

The main thing I've been concerned with lately is overstretching the lower back which is big problem for yoga addicts.

However, I have found that most clients can use a little extra help for the shoulders, hips and hamstrings. That's why it's a good idea to get a regular dose of yoga.