CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #21
Andrew Dossman

Profile:
Re: Cf gym prices

quick question if anyone knows, if i go to a cert, could i get a job at a gym? not have to pay for the monthly fee and maybe make some money, or would i have to go to a number of certs? if anything if i went to a cert i could do private lessions to get money to join a gym lol
Old 11-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #22
John Filippini

Profile:

I would imagine that at a good affiliate, while a level one cert may be a prerequisite, it isn't going to get you a job by itself. Experience and exposure will though. If you're interested in attending an affiliate, try to pay in trade for a while if you can work that out. If you can save up the money for a cert (a good experience, but they're certainly not cheap) then do that. By the time you've saved up the scrap for a cert and gone through it, the affiliate will likely know you well enough from both training and the work you've done for them to determine if they want to hire you. I'd imagine that at that point you'll have shown them a good level of commitment and you'd have a decent shot if you're a capable trainer. Good luck.

Last edited by John Filippini : 11-09-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #23
Steve Rakow

Profile:

The only way to come close to comparing a globo to an affiliate is that at a globo you have to pay your monthly fee and pay for a personal trainer on top of that. Even if your personal trainer only charges $35/hour, that comes to $105/week for 3 sessions. Do that for a month, and you'll pay $420/month just for the personal training plus your membership fee of anywhere from $40 to $80/month average. This adds up to about $460 to $500 per month for 3x/week at globo with a trainer. In some places it may be more, some less, but that would be typical from what I've seen.

We charge $180/month for 3x/week. With that you get coaching for every WOD, nutritional advice, goal setting, and opportunities to participate in other seminars and the like. We call you when you don't show and we push you to become better. Do the math and it's a much better deal than you'll ever get at a globo.

You have to also consider that at a globo they can keep their rates relatively low because they'll have several thousand members, but only about 10% to 15% actually show up and workout. Imagine if all of their members showed up each day? No room. They don't care if you show. They just want your money.

For us, we only have 70 members. When you consider rent, electricity, equipment maintenance, other utilities, and just the cost of doing business, there isn't a whole lot left at the end of the month. Most of our members are 2x/weekers at $140/month. Some are comps/trades, others only come 1x/month, others are in kids programs at a far lower rate. We like the 3x and 4x, but money, time, and other factors play into how much someone can train. What we've found, though, is that you afford what you want to afford. We have a few CrossFitters with lots of money that don't come as often as they've signed up to. Then, we have some signed up who sacrifice somewhere else in their budget to make it happen because they realize CF is worth it.

I think that those who complain about CF affiliate fees don't understand the program, the business model, or the amount of work the affiliates put into the training. I don't want to exclude anyone who wants to work hard, but I've also found that those who complain about the fees are often the ones who complain the most about a lot of other things in life too.

You're paying a fee for a professional to do his/her work. No different than paying a dentist, doctor, lawyer, accountant, or anyone else who has specialized training. I guarantee you that CF trainers aren't making the kind of money those other professionals are. Those other professionals don't work for free, and CF trainers shouldn't either.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #24
Ted Bushnell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rakow View Post
You're paying a fee for a professional to do his/her work. No different than paying a dentist, doctor, lawyer, accountant, or anyone else who has specialized training. I guarantee you that CF trainers aren't making the kind of money those other professionals are. Those other professionals don't work for free, and CF trainers shouldn't either.
Well said. Definitely rings true for me.
Ted.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #25
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

Quote:
I have heard this spouted here many times. ALL of the professions you mentioned require a great deal more education than a weekend certification course. Comparing a CF trainer's education to someone who spent 12 years in higher education to learn their field is laughable. When CrossFit starts requiring their trainers to obtain at least a Bachelor's in Kinesiology, then they will be somewhat similar. And when I go to a personal trainer, he/she will do more than put me through a Workout of the Day that they found on some website (even if it is scaled). They will work with me to craft a workout regimen that conforms exactly to my needs. They will probably also send me to a Board Certified nutritionist, not just someone who read Mastering the Zone. I think that many CrossFitters need to break down the establishment, they miss the fact that these people are experts in their field. CrossFit really isn't new, it's just the name. The only thing different between CrossFit and the way I used to train in high school and college is that now I have gymnastic rings.
CrossFit Trainers aren't making what doctor, lawyers, dentists, and accountants make because they don't have anywhere near the amount of training to do their job. No they don't work for free, just like Crossfit trainers don't; but CrossFit trainers didn't rack up $100,000 in student loans to do it. If I need brain surgery, I'm going to a brain surgeon, not some phlebotomist with a Black&Decker drill and a dream.

Last edited by Aaron C Bennett : 11-09-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #26
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Yeah but don't doctors and lawyers charge more than $150 or so a month?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #27
Andrew Dossman

Profile:

Quote:

I don't want to exclude anyone who wants to work hard, but I've also found that those who complain about the fees are often the ones who complain the most about a lot of other things in life too.
hey man im just saying the fee cost is a little extreme for myself, im a college student, trying to get into med school, so education takes up alot of my time, i also am in a few organizations as well as writing for a school newspaper, so i mean im kind of limited on time to get a steady paying job. The best case for me is too hopefully work out something out with doing odd jobs for the gym owner, its just a 150 dollars a month coming out of no where is a little difficult when student loans already pile up. Also dont get me wrong im sure it is totally worth it to have the trainers there, but honestly i just wanna use the equipment, i think thats how the Wichita Falls gym is? But i mean one day when i make bank ill drop 150 a month without a problem just so i never have to work out with people telling me that im not supposed to squat past my knee and laugh at my friend doing kipping pullups, or tell me that i need bigger biceps so i should do iso curls.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #28
Tom Brose

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron C Bennett View Post
I have heard this spouted here many times. ALL of the professions you mentioned require a great deal more education than a weekend certification course. Comparing a CF trainer's education to someone who spent 12 years in higher education to learn their field is laughable. When CrossFit starts requiring their trainers to obtain at least a Bachelor's in Kinesiology, then they will be somewhat similar. And when I go to a personal trainer, he/she will do more than put me through a Workout of the Day that they found on some website (even if it is scaled). They will work with me to craft a workout regimen that conforms exactly to my needs. They will probably also send me to a Board Certified nutritionist, not just someone who read Mastering the Zone. I think that many CrossFitters need to break down the establishment, they miss the fact that these people are experts in their field. CrossFit really isn't new, it's just the name. The only thing different between CrossFit and the way I used to train in high school and college is that now I have gymnastic rings.
CrossFit Trainers aren't making what doctor, lawyers, dentists, and accountants make because they don't have anywhere near the amount of training to do their job. No they don't work for free, just like Crossfit trainers don't; but CrossFit trainers didn't rack up $100,000 in student loans to do it. If I need brain surgery, I'm going to a brain surgeon, not some phlebotomist with a Black&Decker drill and a dream.
Aaron, you really seem to have it figured out. But what about CrossFit trainers who have forsaken professional jobs that could pay more. Say, someone like Steve, who is a lawyer? He could be making more money doing that full time, but is dedicated to teaching CrossFit. I have a degree in foreign policy from American University classmates of mine of only moderate drive earn much more than me in consulting.

Your trainer gives you such a great hand crafted personalized workouts, and send you to a board certified nutitionist. Guess what? I worked in commercial gyms for a dozen years, and most trainers tell everyone that, while mindlessly pushing the same fad movements to everyone. OHH, single leg 5 Lb hammer curls on a Bosu its "functional"! I make my living doing PT, and hold most of my peers in complete disdain. CrossFit trainers come in varying degrees of expertice and skill, but they all have the one quality I find vital THEY CARE! Oh, and they also strive to learn more and perfect training, even if only within the CrossFit realm. Your Board certified (uhh what Board, by the way?) nutritionist will rehash the food pyramid (developed by the food industry), and probably hasn't exercised in years.

I am a big believer in education and respect qualified, skilled experts. I think that is something that has been lost in our society in recent years. Even in the CrossFit community, there is a need for delving deeper into knowledge and education. However, to disparage some of us who have decided to focus on spreading our belief in health and performance based fitness really bothers me. Maybe I am reading too much into your post, I was talking earlier today about the people who feel they should be able to come use my gear for free just because they don't feel they need coaching. I may be venting, but its because I spend most of my time trying to help my clients improve. I see CrossFit affiliates FAR more devoted to thier members than any trainers ever are. Not suprisingly, I almost never hear anyone who actually trains at an affiliate complain, and I think most would feel they get more value out of CrossFit than just about any other cost.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #29
Matt Thacker

Profile:

The Crossfitters that have come to me after Crossfitting on their own tell me that their NO comparison between Crossfitting on their own and Crossfitting with an affiliate. A typical Crossfit affiliate has a wealth of knowledge that come from years of experience plus years of reading the forums plus whatever certifications they have attended.

Additionally, the equipment at even a small affiliate is very expensive. Much more than $150 times 12. If you really can't afford the fee but are willing to work, I know I wouldn't turn you away.

Matt
Old 11-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #30
Caleb Johnson

Profile:

One thing that I'm really surprised no has mentioned is the COMMUNITY you get to experience at an affiliate. I've been doing personal training for years, am also level 1 certified and could probably do the WODs at home, or in a globo gym where no one understands what I'm doing. But until you've done Fran while 10 other people (who all know exactly how bad it hurts) are cheering you on, you really haven't experienced CrossFit. If you belong to a Globo gym you might know a few people and have a few brief conversations in the locker room, but you're pretty much left on your own. At an affiliate, everyone is part of your second family! I don't think of it as paying money for a gym membership, it's money that is helping pay the overhead for my local "CrossFit Community Center" to stay in business.