CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Andrew Dossman

Profile:
Cf gym prices

Id love to join a gym in San Antonio during the year or in Houston for the summer when i go home for the summer, but the prices are way to high, im a college student who can barely afford to get through a week with a healthy belly full of food, id love to join one but i mean it ranges from 150 to 250 in price, and no way in hell i could afford that. So sad =(
Old 11-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Dustin Berry

Profile:
Re: Cf gym prices

That's the biggest reason that I don't attend an affiliate when I'm in the States also. It's free in Iraq, lol.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

I don't see how they stay in business. They are using a program that is designed around a minimal amount of equipment and workouts that can be done in anyone's garage. It's tough to compete with something that is free in someone's own garage. That is after investing in some equipment. But at $150/month only about 4 months of fees will have you a pretty sweet gym.

I personally go to a local crossfit gym only to utilize there O'Lifting coach to work on my form. The owner cut me a deal so I am pretty much paying on a walk on basis for training. It's also 30 minutes from my house. If it was say 5 minutes from my house, I would seriously consider doing a monthly membership just because the coaching is awesome. It's great to have a knowledgeable coach on duty all the time.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Andy Gann

Profile:

You're paying for their knowledge and experience. It's not like your typical globo where the 'trainers' don't have to know anything b/c the machine forces your movement...

It's like paying for a legit personal trainer. How much do they charge? Pay one at your globo for three hours a week - plus your monthly membership fee and then compare that to a CF affiliate.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Steven Bowser

Profile:

Andy hit the nail on the head.
Anyone can go on the website and do the WODs and think they are a CrossFitter. And dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with that - however - if you go to an Affiliate you are going to be held to much higher standards. You are gonna realize you had no idea what the hell you were doing. I dont care how many videos you watched and demos you observed. You can not beat CrossFit Coaching. Thats why these Coaches spend thousands of dollars to go to these Certs. Not to mention the equipment does get expensive along with rent, electricity, licensing, insurance, toilet paper, chaulk, etc.....
We can only fit so many members in our facility at a time and properly coach them. Just like Andy said compare it to a personal trainer who charges 50 - 75 and hour to put pins in a machine and basically kick you in the kettleballs while they take your money. Most Personal Trainers are starting to change their routines to CrossFit Like Methods. Wonder Why.
I know for a lot of people $150 a month is a lot of money. Most affilates will hook up someone if they are low on funds and cant afford the training. They give student, LEO, Military, FF Discounts. Because most of the affliates do it for the love more than the money. Dont take that out of context you still have to pay your way but they may waive a set up fee or something of that nature.
Scrap up some change or maybe go shovel some snow and go for one month. Just one month will make you so much better it will blow your mind.
Or just continue doing you halfass WODs not even going full range of motion on your air squats or doing your half push ups like you are going to the club. Why do I know that - because I was one of you. Either way I give you lots of credit for CrossFitting.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Here's a handy little three week-long, 262 post thread that covered the topic in exhaustive detail this summer:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...ht=clint+reach
Old 11-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

What kind of cheese would you like to go with your whine?

This subject has been beaten to death, sorry you can't afford attending a CF affiliate, but again, how is posting your non informative comment helpful to this forum?
Old 11-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Personally I find the rates more then reasonable for the amount of attention that you get at an Affiliate. And the more times you go in a week, the more value you are getting. If you can't afford the full membership atleast you can use the "drop-in" rate once a week or so to get up with lifting forms. I did that for a while and I gotta say that I prefered working out at a affiliate then trying to do it on my own. Having others do a WOD always helped me to push myself.

If you can't afford it, then start saving the money and do the WODs on your own. Or just quit. Either way stop with the whinning.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 11-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Thanks for the information, Half assed, low standards, I better go find an affiliate. (Sarcastic)

Last edited by Pete Nadeau : 11-08-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

I would be surprised if 4 months at $150/month would stock a home gym as well as an affiliate, but I could be wrong. I bet even as a student you could come up with the cash. I was a student not too long ago and had no parental support, so I know what it is like. Having said that, had I known about CF, I would have been able to come up with the cash for it. It is always about priorities. Students don't always make the most frugal choices.