CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
Mike Shaw

Profile:
Im seeking some info from anyone who could prescribe the ultimate dynamic workout in under 2mins. In my quest to get better returns and build skills I have recently begun doing a "Mini Workout" whilst at work. I work in Retail in a small shop and am trying to get the best that I can from the time that ive got. Whilst the other guys are outside taking a smoke break I can escape out the back an do one of these Mini-Workout's. I see it as "GTG" and a reward for my time management. I will go an do *10 - 15 pushups, followed by 10 leg raises on boxes, 10 dips on the same boxes (approx 1m H)and 10 x 25Kg Fixed dumbell snatches on either arm.

In the past I have done squats whilst holding the DB, but experienced problems with ...... ahem . . . splits in the workpants because I squat so deep. I cant do pullups (nowhere to do them)which is a real pain as that I feel would be the ultimate. I cant do Handstand pushups because of my work uniform, and the whole idea of this is to be able to get in - do what needs to be done and get out in literally a minute or 2 - not undress etc etc - and over the course of the day do 5-10 sets of these workouts. Im pretty lucky that I dont sweat heaps and when I do i dont stink with sweat (im pretty sure I dont...)

I would like to know if anyone could recommend any really dynamic moves. Im thinking of making a set of parralettes to bring into work for other moves.

Any thoughts would sincerely be appreciated.

Also i think I have a slight case of tendonitits in my right shoulder. I notice this in both shoulders when doing the dips on the boxes and dont know if this move is all that good for technique and safety. My palms are flat on the boxes and i have tried a closed fist also but still find myself leaning quite a way forward. The only reason why i question this movement is because I always see dips being performed on one of those massive stations with parrallel grips either side of your body and dont want to aggravate any problems as punishment for my enthusiasm.

Many, many sincere thanks in advance for any advice given.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
First of all, your avatar freaks me out. Eeww!!

I don't know how effective these mini workotus will be in your overall training, but it seems to me the perfect approach is tabata workouts. One time you could do tabata squats, next tabata push ups, next tabata pull ups, tabata lunges, etc.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Mike:

I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!! I'm an eye surgeon and I simply can't even begin to count the number of places I can use that. Could you email it to me? Either PM or check my profile and send it direct.

Burpees, in all of their versions, can fill you bill here.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
Grace with Barbell, Dumbells, Medball, box, stone, cinderblock, etc.

Isabel with a single DB or KB.

Do muscle, power, and squat versions.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Tom Brose

Profile:
2 minutes of DB burpees.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness
Old 03-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Tom Brose

Profile:
2 minute L Sit
use books, chairs or any sub for paralettes

100 good air squats
Old 03-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Jerry Hill

Profile:
2 min box jumps...
or Coach rut style;
DB sq clean to box jump!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
I also do these mini workouts at work. Usually try to get to 50 burpees in 2 mins is intense. If you have some room try to do the burpees where you travel forward. Or even in place ex: forward, backward, left, right...when you jump. But if I have time I would to tabata squats, and thats all my legs need for a few days. Or if its really slow and works done I will jump rope in the meat locker for 20 mins.....
Old 03-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #10
James R. Climer

Profile:
If you have a fair straight shot to do them, (and your wardrobe can support it) lunge walks carry a lot of bang for the buck, especially when you work up to holding dumbbells while you do them.

How many turns of a jump rope can you accomplish in 2 minutes, (that is if you can keep up a 300 count pace for the entire 2 minutes without breaking)? And then progress to how many double unders can you crank out in 2 minutes.

Can you keep at it for 2 continuous minutes of man-makers with dumbbells?

Another one that used to surprise me was how tiring a 3-minute round of rapid-fire shadow boxing can be, so 2 minutes should be good for that. Learn how to throw the punches with proper footwork and toss in some feints and bob-n-weave; you may find it very functional practice for that surprise encounter where you have to defend yourself someday.

One minute each of right and left warrior stretches, again wardrobe providing.