CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Lou Cabales

Profile:
dead lift sacral/lumbar injury

today while warming up for Mr. Joshua I tweaked something in lower back feels more like in sacral area.

started my warm up arm swings, samson stretch, few air squats, neck circles. I then will usually do a few light lifts related to WOD, so I did a few swiss ball ghds then some 135# dead lifts. As always at this particular gym as always, mirror on right side. I check my alignment prior to lift, I complete 8 reps. yesterday did a few reps at 215 to GTG. 135# felt too light for adequate warm up so up to 215. Same routine look right check alignment setup, reset head to neutral, pull. First lift a felt a little weak, as always. second not yet half way up and bam!!! cant remember but I think it completed lift. instantly knew I screwed something up. went to bike to ride it off, lots of pain, nixed that, It was quite the task just to return the weights, had to break that up.

Ive never had pain this low on back/sacral region, Im inclined to say more sacral. Im writing this after Tylenol, and ice pack on area.

my usual warm up is ride 5min stretch a few light lifts, pull-ups, air squats. ride or run for 5-10 higher intensity, to light sweat, more stretch med. weight misc. lifts, pull ups dips, forn work then WOD.

funny but first thought was, this better not make me miss any work outs. my last max effort dead is 365#. Main problem I see is that Im usually a lot more warmed up, light sweat, before lifting anything heavy.

Im trying to figure out what went wrong?

Anyone with experience with this?

Any guesses to nature of injury? best and worst case scenarios? approximate down time?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Donald Lee

Profile:
Re: dead lift sacral/lumbar injury

Did you go directly from 135# to 215#? That could be a problem when you're not adequately warmed up. Also, Tylenol isn't an anti-inflammatory. Get some Advil or Motrin.

I injured myself from squatting in the L5-S1 area you described. I believe that injuries from deadlifts are usu. higher up in the L4-L5 region, but I could be wrong.

After sleeping with a blanket rolled under my lower back for a few days, I tried Rippetoe's rehab protocol,

(http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700) (wfs)

but after about 3 days, the pain returned. Then after another week, I tried Bill Starr rehab protocol with halting deadlifts and good mornings with a broomstick, and the pain returned. Soon after, I realized that I had major hamstring inflexibility that was causing a major "butt wink."

You are probably in too much pain to test your flexibility, but once the pain goes away, you should probably do good morning stretches to ensure you have adequate hamstring flexibility.

That being said, there could have been numerous causes for your injury. Generally, a deadlift doesn't require nearly as much flexibility as a squat without a butt wink.

If all you have is a muscle strain, you could begin rehabbing in 1 week - 1 month. If you have a muscle sprain, it could take up to 2 months. If it's something worse, you should see a chiropractor.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Lou Cabales

Profile:

BIG THANKS. for the great info.

ive copied that and filed it.

since ive been laid up all day and icing lower back sacral area, my google-fu led me to this informative, and a very scientific.

"...85 to 95 percent of alldisc hernias occur either at the L4/L5 or L5/S1 intervertebral discs..."

Biomechanical Analysis of the Deadlift
(aka Spinal Mechanics for Lifters)
Tony Leyland

http://www.sfu.ca/~leyland/Kin201%20...0Mechanics.pdf

assuming my injury is not of a muscular nature, eg. herniated disc, what do i do?

i don't have medical insurance. i'm open to and appreciative of any advice.

much of the internet info indicates physical therapy as primary treatment. if there are any physical therapists or anyone familiar with what to do please please post or contact me direct.

Last edited by Lou Cabales : 10-10-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Donald Lee

Profile:

http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/5274.html (wfs)

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...sh+briggs+disk (wfs)

If you did hurt your disc, it appears that you are going to be out for at least 6 months. Hopefully you'll be able to do some swimming in the meantime. I've begun to enjoy watching the elderly swim back and forth with no effort. =) And they have interesting conversations in the jacuzzi afterwards.

If you do decide to go seek professional help, which you probably should if your pain persists for over a week or two, I would probably recommend a physical therapist over a chiropractor. I went to see a chiropractor that my mom was seeing, and it was total crap. Then again, I didn't have a disc problem. If you look on the internet, there's a lot of debate among chiropractors. Some could be very helpful, while others are iffy. You should also try posting on Performance Menu if you don't get much help here.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
Donald Lee

Profile:

Just to add. Don't try to come back too quickly. I know it's hard to lay off, but lower back injuries are serious and can sometimes never go away. Once you're on your feet, you could try some different things that don't work your lower back. (i.e., gymnastics holds) Eventually, you'll be able to do stuff like lunges and steps ups that'll still work your legs.

I see my injury as a blessing. I've done a lot of reading and am a lot more knowledgeable as a result.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Lou Cabales

Profile:

Don,

Huge thanks for the info, after resting, icing, nsaids, just under 24 hours later, my back/sacral area is feeling 95% better. knock on wood.

i'm going to spend considerable amount of time digesting that material. the crossfit forum link is especially helpful.

i'm going stay prone most of today, and try some stretching tomorrow. i need to be able to take work on monday.

will a physical therapist see you with out doctors order?
Old 10-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Donald Lee

Profile:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will. It's a good thing you're feeling better. You probably don't have a disc injury. It's probably just a muscle strain or a ligament sprain. The thing you have to keep in mind is no pain doesn't equal no injury.

My chiropractor gave me a good analogy. Once the crutches are off for someone with an ankle sprain, they think they're fine because there's no pain. They start pounding away, and then they roll their ankle again and are back on the crutches. The thing is, the ankle was probably about 70% healed.

Just don't get too aggressive with your lower back rehab.